Batteries after winter layup

seasick

Reaction score
Well, I was pretty busy this winter and didn't remove my batteries from the boat. I did disconnect the positive terminals. So after that notorious winter in New York, boat stored outside on a trailer with no charging at all, today I installed the prop, connected the muffs and tried to start the motor. Varoom.. No issues with batteries at all. My batteries are 4 years old to boot! Hopefully the rest of the spring prep will go as well as the initial start-up. The older I get, the smaller my task list gets:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
My dealer (couple of hundred boats) never pulls the batteries. Just disconnect as you do and charge in spring. I've been doing this for years. No problems.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Well I used your technique last winter and in April my starting battery was dun. I think it probably depends on how good your battery is and how well its charged heading into winter lay-up.

seasick

Reaction score
uncljohn said:
Well I used your technique last winter and in April my starting battery was dun. I think it probably depends on how good your battery is and how well its charged heading into winter lay-up.

The less the charge, the HIGHER the freezing point of the electrolyte. If the battery is not fully charged and it gets cold enough, it can freeze. That can damage the internals. It is also important to remove one of the cables just in case there is some electrical drain ( bilge, stereo, etc)