Batteries - how many seasons?

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How many seasons do you expect to get out of your batteries assuming normal operations without "problem" battery drains...?

We are going into year 3 and a neighbor mentioned that I should only expect 2 years out of a marine battery. I sort of doubt that. The batteries in our previous boat laster quite well year after year, but it was only a 50hp Honda.

Thanks for any feedback....

Mike

rparkssos

Reaction score
April of 03 I installed 2 Optima Orbital Marine batteries. I can't believe it, but they still perform perfectly.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just replaced the 3 original Exide Nautilus HD's last month. Two were beginning to show their age (but still read "good" on hydrometer tests; the other tested as new, but I replaced all 3, stayed with same make/model. They were 7 seasons on the boat, but I doubt the new ones are made as well.

edited to correct my mis-spelled name

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My '07 Gulfstream has the original batteries.Going into my 3rd season in 2010.
My dealer(Twin Cities Marine-Two Rivers WI) has been helpful to me on many levels..One of the neatest things they recommended to order with the boat was an on-board battery charging unit.
Neat thing..I plug it into a wall outlet in my barn with an extension cord..It charges the batteries and keeps them charged up all winter. A green lite is on when the batteries are fully charged, which they always are every time I check on them.
I can't predict how long they'll last, but I'll bet I get another season or two out of 'em.

Average Joe

Reaction score
I use Interstate batteries and change it every three years whether it needs it or not. Less tha $100 for piece of mind that it won't let me down when I least expect it.

seasick

Reaction score
White Horses (Mike) said:
How many seasons do you expect to get out of your batteries assuming normal operations without "problem" battery drains...?

We are going into year 3 and a neighbor mentioned that I should only expect 2 years out of a marine battery. I sort of doubt that. The batteries in our previous boat laster quite well year after year, but it was only a 50hp Honda.

Thanks for any feedback....

Mike
I read an interesting article on marine batteries recently and to my surprise, the single most important factor affecting battery life is high temperatures ( not cold as one might assume or state of charge). The high temps cause the battery to age faster. So the answer to your questions is that the expected life depends on environment. Folks in warmer climates or batteries kept in warmer areas should expect shorter life than those in cooler situations.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I got 5 years out of my last deep cycle (replaced 2 yrs ago) and am on year # 6 for my starting battery. 8)

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone - I am used to getting 5-6 years out of automobile batteries, so that feedback makes sense to me... I look forward to not replacing them anytime soon!

Stonewall

Reaction score
Just finished my 4th season with the original factory batteries. They are still going strong.

Reaction score
OK guys, I've been waiting to tell this. I have two Nautilus 1000 batteries in my boat. I use the boat every year and often during the year. My batteries are 10 years old and are not showing any signs of weakness. I know I'm probably on borrowed time so I plan to replace them in the spring. Guess what I'm going to replace them with? :)

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Simple Interest said:
OK guys, I've been waiting to tell this. I have two Nautilus 1000 batteries in my boat. I use the boat every year and often during the year. My batteries are 10 years old and are not showing any signs of weakness. I know I'm probably on borrowed time so I plan to replace them in the spring. Guess what I'm going to replace them with? :)

Nautilus. That's what I meant to say in my previous post, not Nautica. I though it didn't look right when I wrote it, but you all are smarted than that, and I'm sure you all knew what I meant. :D

Anyways, I changed mine out at 7 years old, and I know I could have gone another season, but felt that I was pushing it.

10 years. Now that's impressive.

Reaction score
Capt Bill,
Every springtime for the last 3-4 years when I start the boat I expect the batteries to fail. They just keep spinning the flywheel like they were new. I don't know why they keep going but I too am pretty amazed they have lasted for ten years. On top of that I am starting two old Evinrudes and they take a lot of spinning to get going.