Batteries in Winter

sluggoe

Reaction score
thinking of storing the batteries myself since it is ridiculous how much my marina charges to do this....

my simple plan is as follows:

1) pulling the batteries out right before shrink wrapping is done and storing in un-heated gargage or in basement

2) buying some sort of charger (have no clue what i need etc.) and charge every month or have it on trickle etc.

3) reinstall in spring before launch

I am concerned about safety, and would rather not store in basement due to possible hydrogen venting but would like to hear what others do / best way to do it...

--slug
02 282 Sailfish Twin F225s

Rumford Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recommend storing in the basement (it is better than an unheated garage). Also, do not store directly on concrete floor.......store them on top of 2X4 pieces of wood. I usually do the same......I charge mine before storage....halfway through winter......and before I install in the spring and I've never had a problem. Good luck.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Rumford Grady said:
>snip
Also, do not store directly on concrete floor.......store them on top of 2X4 pieces of wood.

This is a myth, debunked many times over. Here is a segment explaining it from the link below:

14.1. MYTH: Storing batteries on a concrete floor will discharge them.

False! All lead-acid batteries will naturally self-discharge which can result in loss of capacity from sulfation. The rate of self-discharge is most influenced by the temperature of the battery's electrolyte and the chemistry of the plates. This self-discharge is often mistaken for concrete floor causing the battery to drain. Some experts believe that storing car or deep cycle batteries on a colder concrete floor might actually slow down the self-discharge (leakage) rate because the floor acts as a heat sink and cools the battery. (Please see Section 13 for more information on storing batteries and Section 1 for more information on sulfation.

In the early 1900s, when battery cases were made of porous materials such as tar-lined wood boxes, storing batteries on concrete floor would accelerate their natural self-discharge due to external leakage. Modern battery cases are made of polypropylene or hard rubber. These cases are sealed better, so external leakage-causing discharge is no longer a problem, provided the top of the battery is clean and free from wet or dried electrolyte and the same temperature as the floor.

Large differences in temperature could cause electrolyte stratification within very large batteries (>250 AH) which could accelerate it's internal "leakage" or self-discharge if the battery is sitting on an extremely cold concrete, stone or steel floor in a warm room, boat or submarine. Stirrers or bubblers are often used on these types of large batteries to keep the electrolyte from stratifying. Undercharging will also cause electrolyte stratification, which can also result in loss of capacity from sulfation.

If any of you would like to learn all there is to know about batteries, go here: http://www.batteryfaq.org/
There's a good segment on 'Winterizing' your batteries there too.

BTW, storing them in an unheated garage is actually better than a heated basement, as long as it isn't below freezing.

richie rich

Reaction score
if you live in a cold area that will freeze, don't store it in your garage.....leave it in your basement and keep it topped off at all times.....its the severe discharging over long periods of time that will kill your battery and a frozen battery will be dead as well.....a topped off and tended nattery is plenty safe in a basement....keep it off the concrete floor, not for drain reasons but for cold reasons, depending on where you live.

Rumford Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As a GW owner who lives in a colder climate (Rhode Island), Richie Rich hit the nail on the head.....keep the batteries out of garage so they don't freeze, and off the basement floor for "cold" reasons. The garage vs. basement issue is probably not an issue in SoCal, but is in New Engalnd. Good luck

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Before the batteries were plastic storing them on wood was necessary but with modern batteries it's not needed. A fully charged battery will not freeze in Rhode Island (maybe Northern Canada). At 100% charge it will freeze at -77 ^F, at 75% charge it will freeze at -35^F. You ever freeze the battery in your car? Pick up a trickle charger and every other week top them off, any more and you're wasting power.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I can only speak on what I see done regularly here in Mass by many different dealers.

Disconnect batteries.
Leave on boat as is.
Charge in spring.
Reconnect.

I've never had an issue with a cracked or premature battery failure. It does get cold here in Boston, but it doesn't appear to freeze or damage the battery.

I'll probably get whacked around, but this is what is honestly done up here and I've never heard of a problem.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I can only speak on what I see done regularly here in Mass by many different dealers.

Disconnect batteries.
Leave on boat as is.
Charge in spring.
Reconnect.

I've never had an issue with a cracked or premature battery failure. It does get cold here in Boston, but it doesn't appear to freeze or damage the battery.

I'll probably get whacked around, but this is what is honestly done up here and I've never heard of a problem.

Ditto. Never removed batteries from boat.

langski93

Reaction score
Fishtales said:

Disconnect batteries.
Leave on boat as is.
Charge in spring.
Reconnect.

I've never had an issue with a cracked or premature battery failure. It does get cold here in Boston, but it doesn't appear to freeze or damage the battery.........
Fishtales said:
I am glad Fishtales added his comment, because as I read the other posts discussing the finer points of storage, I wondered if my mechanic had still been steering me wrong. For 3 years now, my mechanic (been in business for 25 years) has told me he only removes the batteries for people that insist, otherwise he disconnects and leaves them on board to recharge in the Spring. Convential wisdom told me to remove before wrapping, but he says he has seen people doing more damage taking them off then leaving them on. I just figured well he must know what he is talking about. So far, so good. His service has been outstanding, so if anyone needs a certified Yamaha guy in New Hampshire send me an email.

Langski93

Adventure 208

Stonewall

Reaction score
You guys do too much work. I have owned many boats over many years and I have never removed batteries over the winter - and I have never had a problem. I just put put on the battery charger while I'm doing my Spring commissioning. That's it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
With wet cell batteries -

Unless you are in a marina and the marina requires the batteries to be removed for safety reasons, then there's nothing wrong with leaving them in the boat. Batteries stay in cars and trucks year round,even ones used seasonally, it's never an issue as long as they are fully charged when placed in stroage and disconnected.

Why break your back and risk dropping them? If it's for exersize, safer choices can be had !

A disconnected, cleaned and dry top, fully charged, healthy battery needs only to be charged before the winter ONCE, and will last the same all the way to the Spring. If you add water, must fully charge after water is added. If the battery is on the way out it will discharge in no time at all, all by itself. You need a new battery. Trickle charge not needed unless you are nursing a sick battery.

The idea of keeping the battery off concrete on a piece of wood had nothing to do with longevity, it has to do with condensation, the cold concrete, unlike wood - a decent insulator, will keep tha battery cooler than wood, so the battery is more likely to form condensation when the humid season comes around, which attracts contamanents, all to the effect of creating a slight discharge path either between terminals or between the positive terminal down the side to the garage floor (ground).

So be sure to wipe clean the top fully, and disconnect all leads, top off water and fully charge, that's it.

seasick

Reaction score
At my club, many folks leave them in and have no more problems than those who take them out. I used to take mine out and store in an unheated shed with a trickle charge once a month for a few hours but as I get older, they seem to get heavier so I will be leaving them in this winter.
My batts are 4 years old so replacement is near anyway.

I have noticed that the monthly trickle charge finishes quickly telling me that the batteries really didn't lose a lot of charge each month sitting in the shed.

PFB1769

Reaction score
but as I get older, they seem to get heavier
:)

After a number of years I thought the battery manufacturers were making them heavier. Time to start working out I guess. :wink:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine also stay on the boat and never a problem even with the cold Boston winters. Here is a tip , use a wire tie to tie together the utitity connection to the main terminal wire they should be connected to. You never remember in the spring where they connect a real time saver

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I also leave my batteries in the boat but I keep a small solar trickel charger hooked up to each battery. This keeps the battries fully charged. I got the solar cells at my local NAPA store. They are under $30.00 each. I did put a bead of silicone around the plastic bezel and the glass face panel. I have had the same batteries and solar cells for 4 years now with no problems.
:D

sluggoe

Reaction score
ok thx for all the advice.

i am in connecticut and i am now leaning towards keeping the 3 batteries in the boat and charging completely before disconnecting and charging again during spring.

do any of you guys use any sort of cloth or rubber mit / sheath to put the battery connector cables in so as to protect them and make sure they don't make contact with the terminals??

--slug.

weatherbymag

Reaction score
battery chargers

http://www.thebatteryminder.com/

I have been using one of these chargers for the last 3 winter up here in new england.

it has brought back batteries from the dead and cleans up any sulfer that may have been collecitng on the plate.

you can charge multiple batts at once.

If you call Diversified Aviation the gent who answers the phone is full of answers.

to help the unit is all digital.

GOA

Reaction score
As has been said above...I keep both batteries on my boat and connected with the switch on "off". I top off with distilled water and recharge in the spring. Both batteries are five years old...next year both will be replaced.
GOA :wink: