Batteries on 265

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For all the 265 Express owner's out there, what batteries are you running? I need to replace mine before the season.

I currently have 3 batteries, 2 house batteries that also start my starboard engine, and one battery just for the port engine. All 3 are Exide Nautilus batteries, NC-24's. Anyone have group 27's on their boat, do they even fit? I'd check but the boats wrapped up currently.

I am currently leaning towards going to either a gel or drycell battery, specifically an Optima or Odessey Battery. The Odyssey is the most expensive I've looked at, but I know they are by far one of the best, we use them where I work and they last, they also have one of the largest CCA capacities and RC's for a battery their size. Anyone use these batteries...any thoughts? Any other battery resommendations?

As for what I run at all times:
2 Icom VHF's
Furuno FF
Furuno DGPS
Stereo
I also believe the fridge runs off the batteries at sea.

In reduced visability/night/weather:(In addition to the above)
Running Lights
Furuno Radar/chartplotter

I also run a lot of light when I tuna or shark fish at night, running almost 20amps of lighting alone for about 8 hours a night. I run a Honda EU2000i generator(Charger is 20amps - 10/10), a drycell or gel battery would charge faster then a flooded cell battery and might be able to handle my electrical loads better. Any thoughts to this? I plan to change my lights to LED's whgen there is a decent product out there, I know of a few in development, but most lack right now or are way too expensive. That would cut my load to somewhere between 7-10amps.

Thanks for all replies and help in advance!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since you run the Honda 2K, why not use some 120V lights?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thought about it, but I'd have to run a new wiring system just for them, and would not be able to charge my batteries which would need it anyways from the electronics running.
Also, then I cannot use the lights in the marina if they are wired for 120v, unless I added yet more electrical equipment to the boat which I do not want. I am trying to keep it simple without changing everything. I looked into 120v lights, but did not choose them in the end per advice from those I work with and others on both this and other forum's.

dlevitt

Reaction score
Tom,

I've been told that Sears has an AGM battery that is made by Odyssey. It may very well be the same battery.

There is a guy on thehulltruth by the name of Glen E. He's posted many times on these batteries. If you haven't already done so, do a search.

How do you like the Honda generator? I may end up looking for one this year for the Stamas.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe the Diehard Platinum's are the one's your talking about. They are close in specs to the Odyssey but not the same. I can get Odyssey's through work, I stopped in there today, they are calling tommorrow to get me a price quote since we only stock 24v batteries and I need 12v batteries.
The Honda EU2000i is a great unit. It is light weight and easy to use. It is fairly quiet too, we sleep with it running directly over the cabin without any problems. It is a light hum. If you'd like I can bring it by one day and show it to you and run it for you and all. Well worth the money for my use.

dlevitt

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer on checking out the generator. I will take you up on it before (or if) I buy one. I'd definately like to get your opinion on the Stamas I'm buying. I should probably have it in the water in mid April. I had to switch marinas since there were no more large slips available where I was.

I hope that you are doing well. Any bites on the Seafarer? Someone will be getting a really great boat.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you be able to charge your batteries? If you up the size of the charger it can handle the 'fridge, FF, GPD,... and SOME lights. I'm assuming you have the dockside power and plug the generator in there. Then if you have a separate 110V circuit for your serious lights, your 12V supply will not be taxed. So even at the dock you can use the Honda or dock power.

dale1

Reaction score
greetings. I would like to know the outcome for the first post.

-will the group 27 work on the 265?
-are agm batteries good for the house batter?

thanks,
dale

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My '04 has a group 27 starting battery and group 27 house batt starboard - both wet batteries. Both run fore/aft. I installed an Optima blue AGM group 31 (dual purpose ) portside to try it out. A bit of a tight squeeze to get it in but with an AGM you can turn it on its side without a problem. Sits sideways. Nice to have the capacity.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I just replaced the batteries on my boat. I have 2 group 27 batteries as the starting batteries for the both engines, 1 port and 1 starboard. I have an additional group 31 deep cycle on the starboard side. Its definitely a knuckle bleeder to squeeze the batteries in there. I leave them in the boat all winter and just plug in the shorepower occasionally during that time to keep them charged. My charger is on the port side and also takes up some room. In the past I have had good luck with sears die hard batteries, however they all got replaced with west marine this year so we will see.

eppem

Reaction score
My 03 came from the factory with Dekka batteries - when I bought it in 06 I called GW. They said that the West Marine Batteries were made by Dekka. I replace every 3 years with no issues.

seasick

Reaction score
One point to keep in mind is that if more than one battery is being charged by the alternator at the same time and to an extent, more that one is being used in parallel at the same time (equivalent to BOTH) the batteries operate at their best if they are the same make and model and preferably the same age. Different type of batteries have different voltage curves and differences can lead to overcharging, undercharging or in some cases, one battery discharging the other.
Also, some older charging systems on motors were not compatible with AGM type cells. Same thing for shore power chargers although most if not all newer smart charges are.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I always run the port engine only with the port battery using the battery switch. Same for the stbd engine/battery. The house battery is charged using a Cole-Hersee smart isolator/charger with its own switch. Works great- the batteries are always fully charged.

dale1

Reaction score
I just relocated the battery selector switches to the bulkhead inside the aft doors. I wasn't crazy about lifting the bucket each time. at the same time, I installed Blue Sea ACRs on both sides. I like that set up.

at the same time, I installed optima group 27, blue top batteries on the starboard side.

seems to work good.