batteries

PenniJ

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I had 2 Dynamic starter batteries installed in my 1997 208 Adventure. First trip out, started up on Batt 1, cruised about 20 minutes, set anchor turned off Yamaha 175hp and sat there for about 90 minutes. I used no electronics. When I tried to restart on Batt 1, no can do. Switched to Batt 2 and was able to start. I wonder why brand new Batt 1 punked out. New Batts were installed by techs at my marina. Any thoughts?

PenniJ

seasick

Reaction score
You need to verify that your motor is charging the battery.see what the voltage is when idling at about 1500 rpm. It should be 13+ volts.

You might have a bad cable or connection to battery 1.

Battery 1 could be defective. A charge and load determine if that is the case'

It is possible that something is drawing current but it would have to be a relatively large draw.

That said, I would go back to the mechanic and have him take a look.
You event is a good example why many of us recommend running one only one battery and not both!

Reactions: jimever

PenniJ

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You need to verify that your motor is charging the battery.see what the voltage is when idling at about 1500 rpm. It should be 13+ volts.

It is possible that something is drawing current but it would have to be a relatively large draw.

You event is a good example why many of us recommend running one only one battery and not both!

thanks, seasick.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Along the lines of what Seasick mentioned - the mechanic may have simply forgotten to put the charging lead on #1. Look for a medium-sized, red wire not connected to anything.

PenniJ

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Along the lines of what Seasick mentioned - the mechanic may have simply forgotten to put the charging lead on #1. Look for a medium-sized, red wire not connected to anything.

with 2 new starter batteries installed a week ago, shouldn’t the engine start when the selector switch is set to battery 1 or 2 or both?

PenniJ

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
With 2 new starter batteries installed a week ago, the engine should start when the selector switch is set to battery 1, 2 or both. Right?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What seasick said is correct. You can use any position if your system is working as correctly installed.

And agree with others, it's good you changed up the switch back and forth from 1 and 2. :)

jimever

Reaction score
...except all these which are correct,you can check if you have an electrical leak from somewhere...also if you have your boat for seasonal use when you will install new batteries at the future...if you want preferred "deep cycle" type...

seasick

Reaction score
...except all these which are correct,you can check if you have an electrical leak from somewhere...also if you have your boat for seasonal use when you will install new batteries at the future...if you want preferred "deep cycle" type...
It advisable to check the motor manufacture's recommendation for batteries. Foe example, Mercury strongly states starting batteries for my Optimax motors

jimever

Reaction score
It advisable to check the motor manufacture's recommendation for batteries. Foe example, Mercury strongly states starting batteries for my Optimax motors

...of course you must check manufacturer's recommendation for your motor,you have right...you can buy "deep cycle" battery with CCA which manufacturer wants,don't you?

Fishtales

Reaction score
FWIW GW recommends a stating battery. One would think a deep cycle would be best for a house battery but since they have either one or two banks, they recommend the starting.

seasick

Reaction score
...of course you must check manufacturer's recommendation for your motor,you have right...you can buy "deep cycle" battery with CCA which manufacturer wants,don't you?
It's not just a question of meeting the CCA specs. Starting batteries and deep cycle batteries are constructed differently.
Starting batteries are designed for short bursts of high current draw whereas deep cycle batteries are designed to handle long periods of much smaller current draw. In addition to battery life which can be shortened by choosing the wrong type of battery, the voltage curve characteristics can be different and some motors ( like the Optis I have on my other boat) are sensitive to voltage in a big and mysterious way.
In general, house batteries would be deep cycle types and starting batteries are just that, starting batteries

jimever

Reaction score
It's not just a question of meeting the CCA specs. Starting batteries and deep cycle batteries are constructed differently.
Starting batteries are designed for short bursts of high current draw whereas deep cycle batteries are designed to handle long periods of much smaller current draw. In addition to battery life which can be shortened by choosing the wrong type of battery, the voltage curve characteristics can be different and some motors ( like the Optis I have on my other boat) are sensitive to voltage in a big and mysterious way.
In general, house batteries would be deep cycle types and starting batteries are just that, starting batteries

...from other posts in forum which I already read,I think that you have yami v6 150,is that correct? If yes, for this motor do you need starting battery? What does manufacturer ask for this motor?

naesb81

Reaction score
Model
Express 265

seasick

Reaction score
...from other posts in forum which I already read,I think that you have yami v6 150,is that correct? If yes, for this motor do you need starting battery? What does manufacturer ask for this motor?

Yes, my motor on that boat is a SX150 and the original service manual that I am looking at right now, specifies 500 CCA. That falls into the last group on your table but note that my motor is not a HPDI model.
I got 7 years out of the first set set and am actually into year 8 on the current ones but I sense it is time for new. I am going to try to wait till next season. To be honest, I don't run a lot of power hungry devices when anchored, just my VHF, plotter and separate sonar. Would dual purpose work? Probably. but after getting the first 7 yeas service, I did the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach for replacement batteries.
What does Yamaha recommend on battery type? I don't know based on the owners and service manuals.
As I mentioned, my Mercury manuals specifically warn against using anything other that starting batteries.

handinpalm

Reaction score
Could be as simple as the tech not tightening the wires on the battery connection and they vibrated loose on the cruise. Did you check the wire connections?