Battery Advice

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

I could use some advice on a new battery! My 208 has two batteries, one starter and one deep cycle. The starter is dead, but I have found that the deep cycle can start the engine just fine. The deep cycle is rated at 500 A, whereas the starter was rated at 1000.

What would you all recommend for the replacement? A standard starter battery, or a dual purpose? Every battery that I look at seems to have a "group number", and I'm not sure what that means?

Of course, I would also appreciate any recommendations you may have on brands, since I am not familiar with battery brands.

If I'm overlooking any other threads where this is discussed, just point me in that direction!

p.s. The old starter was a 'Deka' Marine Master, maintenance free battery. It was three years old, and I don't k ow how it was treated before I inherited it.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Deka Marine Masters are excellent batteries. I got 6 years out of the pair that came with my Grady and only swapped them out because of their age. The both still passed a load test.

They are dual purpose batteries, not starting batteries. They have the reserve capacity to meet Yamaha's specification and to run your electronics. While they are considered maintenance free because they have a hydrogen/oxygen recombiner, you should check the water level once a year or so. Outboard voltage regulators are not always spot on and overcharging can boil off some of the water and shorten the life of the battery.

There are other good batteries out there, but the M27s are at a sweet spot for value and performance in a boat battery.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Group 27 is a size and that's what your 208 takes. I prefer Interstate batteries. If you don't have a charger, a dual hook-up Battery Tender is a great investment. Charges batteries and conditions them without overcharging them.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I'm also a fan of interstates. I've been in the Marine business for almost 10 years and I've had a lot of issues with Powermaster batteries especially the Red EFI batteries. Would not recommend them. Can't give an opinion on any others really.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The "Group #" is a physical size. 24 is your standard size battery - as you go up in #, the size goes up, too. The CCA and MCA may go up, as well, but typically you can only do that comparison within the same manufacturer. RC is another term - but that is really only of concern when comparing DC batteries. Generally speaking, you can't go wrong by having a bigger battery. But the tradeoff is cost and weight, along with being able to physically get the battery in and out if space is tight.

To answer your question about what kind of battery suits you best, we need to know a little more information about how you use your boat. Lot's of battery use while the engine is off? What kind of electronics/things do you use when the engine is off? Overnights?

Personally, I prefer a starting battery for starting the engine as that's what it's designed for and will likely last longer in that capacity. I then prefer for a DC battery for my "house" needs. I don't particularly like the DP batteries as I fell they can't be "great" at both things. Sort of like "cleaner wax"... it's OK, but not as good as a separate cleaner/polisher and wax would be. How good can a wax be (how long it can last) if it's also a cleaner, you know? From my experience with them, it is not.

As far as brands, at the place I work at we've had Deka's for about 20 years. Excellent battery. Honestly, the only other battery I would consider is an Interstate - they are great batteries, too. Sometimes you'll find these re-branded at other stores. For example, I "think" Duracells are re-branded Deka's. Just make sure the re-branded ones are made to the same quality. I have a friend who is a manager at Deka - he confirmed that the Duracells are the same exact battery as the normal, "Deka" brand.

Here's some info - look at the "Marine Master" section: http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp ... t-0194.pdf

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone,

As usual, you've filled in a lot of gaps in my education. Turns out that I had a problem with my charger, and so I'm going to give this battery another chance using the Battery Tender I just bought. But if/when I need to replace one, I'll go with a Deka or Interstate.

Dennis, to answer your question, the only electronics that I use when the motor is off are the small cabin light and a phone charger. I think that the second battery (deep cycle, 500 cranking amps) should be able to handle that just fine. It can also start the motor just fine, which I learned when this starter died on me!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good - minimal battery need when the engine is off keeps it simpler and easier for you. If you wanted, in most cases you can even change that cabin light bulb for an LED light bulb (or, of course, a whole new fixture). If you're anchoring at night, don't forget about your stern/anchor light, as well. Those can be changed to LED's, too.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Here is my Battery advice. Buy then at NAPA rather than a marine store. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks and get quality batteries.
I have 24's on my 232. They are more than sufficient.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Harpoon said:
Here is my Battery advice. Buy then at NAPA rather than a marine store. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks and get quality batteries.
I have 24's on my 232. They are more than sufficient.

I would want to know who makes the battery for NAPA. But I'm not sure about saving the money - the place where I work part time... They sell Deka Marine Master group 24's for $89 and $99, depending on CCA. Not sure you can really save any money going elsewhere and be guaranteed to get a top quality marine battery.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I use two (2) AGM batteries, and I run all day on the same one. Both batteries will start the engine, and both will absorb 'house' loads, one is in use and one is a charged 'back-up'. Buy the largest batts that will fit the space available. Never heard anyone complain of having too much batt power ... :hmm