Battery and fuel filter location help

DannysDingy

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hey all,
My Grady offshore was rigged with 2 batterys on the port side of the boat and the oil tank and fuel filter on the other side.
This setup always made the boat lean to port side.
I recently moved the oil tank to the left and moved one of the batterys to the other side see pic, and now I'm wondering if there is an issue with the battery being so close to the fuel filter and lines. Seem to remember something about being 12 inches apart but I'm not too sure. Any help would be greatly aprriciated.
20190425_072546.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Technically your install is in violation of ABTC regs. A battery can not be instilled over or under a fuel tank or fuel components. I take that to include rubber hoses.
Also, for the record, the battery terminals have to have insulated protection such as rubber boots.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ditto.

Move the filter to the center of the boat's transom and you're good... along with the post covers once you hook everything back up (maybe you already have those?). I can't tell, but make sure the battery is at least in a tray - not just secured to eyelets.

DannysDingy

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I moved the fuel filter about 7 inches over to the left (more in the center) that's a far as I could really mount it and be able to have use of my primer bulb as well as get In and change the filter. You think that's ok? The fuel lines are at least 7 inches away from the batt. Raining today will post a pic as soon as possible.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you want to double check, google for the USCG requirements - but if memory serves, I think it simply states that batteries can't be installed directly under or over fuel tank/fittings. I don't "think" it pertains to RUBBER hoses, but I'm not 100% positive (I believe there is more to it if the hose/line is metal). Either way, if I'm correct on the "directly" part, you're good.

Don't forget the cover on, at least, the positive post.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
definitely put a cover on the battery, I'd be a little nervous if I had to change the filter offshore over the battery.
ps - I found your 3/16 drill bit.

Reactions: DannysDingy

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've owned a boat with a spin on filter (or two) for 20 years. I have never managed to not get gas on my hands or dribble gas while unscrewing or screwing back on (I fill them with gas before installing).

one drop of gas = gas fumes .... gas fumes on a battery? there has to be a better place...outside in the motor well?

I realize you are charging the battery...but I guaranty it will spark when you move one of those clips...

Don't need a Coastie or a yacht club inspector to tell me that.

The fact that you are asking "does this look legal?" when you really mean "this doesn't look safe, does it?"

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
One trick I use when removing the filter is to loosen it a bit and then slip a gallon size zip lock bag over it from the bottom. I can now spin the filter by hand with the bag sticking up a bit higher than the lip. The inevitable gas that spills out when removing the filter goes into the bag.

DannysDingy

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've owned a boat with a spin on filter (or two) for 20 years. I have never managed to not get gas on my hands or dribble gas while unscrewing or screwing back on (I fill them with gas before installing).

one drop of gas = gas fumes .... gas fumes on a battery? there has to be a better place...outside in the motor well?

I realize you are charging the battery...but I guaranty it will spark when you move one of those clips...

Don't need a Coastie or a yacht club inspector to tell me that.

The fact that you are asking "does this look legal?" when you really mean "this doesn't look safe, does it?"
A better place? Not sure you understand...
The rear compartment of the offshore model is where things like batteries, oil tank, fuel filter, etc are located. This is not an air tight compartment as per rod holder holes on the sides, which are all part of it.
Exactly what are you saying ? To cut holes and have my fuel line exit the rear locker into an external mounted fuel filter and then the fuel line go (through another hole) and go back in??

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
A better place? Not sure you understand...
The rear compartment of the offshore model is where things like batteries, oil tank, fuel filter, etc are located. This is not an air tight compartment as per rod holder holes on the sides, which are all part of it.
Exactly what are you saying ? To cut holes and have my fuel line exit the rear locker into an external mounted fuel filter and then the fuel line go (through another hole) and go back in??

I understand exactly. Grady put 2 batteries on the port side and the oil tank & fuel filter on the stb side.
You moved a battery to the starboard side, under the fuel filter, to even out the weight.
I'm saying I wouldn't have a fuel filter over a battery. You are going to spill gas and it will be a hazard.
It doesn't matter what the "rules" are...You think its a problem too or you would not have asked about it. Go with your gut.
I'm not saying the filter has to be outside in the motor well (dunno if your model even has a motor well) but if thats what it takes, then its an option.

I've had boats with the fuel/water separator (with clear bottom) mounted outside in the motor well. In those cases the fuel line and bulb went to the motor from there.
You may have a bundle to the motor and need to go back in to come out in the bundle.

My 265 has them in the port & stb cubbies but they are separated from the batteries by a 2 inch thick bulkhead.