Battery Charger Question

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Guest 2630 30amp 3 bank charger(about 11 years old) was heavily soaked with fresh water....took it out of boat and dried it out with a heat gun......plugged it in on the bench and checked voltage on the three positive leads versus the ground lead. All three leads are putting out approx. 17.3 volts on the bench and not hooked up to a battery.

Does this sound normal or way too high?? Should I hook it up to a battery and then check voltage??? Any thoughts????

:hmm

seasick

Reaction score
Yes connect it to a battery and then measure the voltage. The unloaded voltage is a good sign that it may be working but you can't be sure until a load is connected. If you connect a 'good' battery and still read 17 volts, the unit it shot.
You should be looking at voltage up to 14 1/2 volts or so depending on the state of charge of the connected battery. The voltage should decrease as the battery charges. The amount of decrease depends on the type of charger.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I asked Marinco(Guest) about the waterproof issue. Got a fuzzy story which said "it depends on the model". My 2630 is 11-12 years old and is no longer manufactured and "it may withstand water intrusion" was the answer.

Will know later today......

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re-installed dried out charger and connected one of the three batteries in the boat.....Voltage initially at 16.8V then quickly dropped to 12.9V on a newly charged battery. Hooked up other two banks with approximately same result. Charger seems to be performing as well as prior to the water soak.....

Thanks again seasick.....

seasick

Reaction score
SilverLining said:
Re-installed dried out charger and connected one of the three batteries in the boat.....Voltage initially at 16.8V then quickly dropped to 12.9V on a newly charged battery. Hooked up other two banks with approximately same result. Charger seems to be performing as well as prior to the water soak.....

Thanks again seasick.....
My pleasure. Keep an eye on it over time since the effects of salt water can take time to show up but based on what you see, it looks good.