Battery Charger Suggestions

can129

Reaction score
Want to keep my batteries fully charged on my 232 single engine w/2 batteries especially during the winter when weather doesn't allow for fishing every weekend or two. Looking at the ProMariner Pro Sport 12 on sale at Boaters World this weekend.

Is the hookup of one of these onboard units (2 banks) as easy as two leads going to each battery, battery switch in the off position and plugging in the unit?

Any feed back on this brand of charger or any other brand for that matter?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good brand, good $$ deal. Good choice in selecting a waterproof unit

And yes it is that easy to hook up.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Battery charger

That is absolutly the best choice. High tech charging system, all connector and wire included, waterproof, priced right.

I installed a 20 amp 3-bank unit in my boat. In my installation one set of leads was too long and the other too short. So I cut a section out of one and spliced it into the other (soldered and shrink wrapped).

I completly removed the old charger and wiring harness.

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Very good choice - and at a bargain too.
Stay away from Guest - overpriced junk.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Before I wised up and replaced it, my Guest charger wrecked three batteries, at 100 bucks a pop.

That's just my experience with Guest chargers.

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Bob - same as me; the factory-mounted Guest ruined my three batteries.
Like a dummy I replaced it with the same - worked much better; it didn't ruin any batteries before it failed in the second season.

If these were free I wouldn't install one.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Live and learn, I'll never do another Guest, not that others have any problems with them.

Similar thread a while ago on THT.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It may have been because the Guest charger didn't know how to deal with aux load, since on overnighters aux load is usually on and varies.

jfmagana

Reaction score
I've had a Guest Sportsman on my 228 for about 4 years now and it's worked flawlessly with both my original batteries (Dekka Marine) and my current batteries (Optima Blue Top). I have it plugged in 100% of the time when it's in the slip and my batteries are always completely charged when I head-out. I've seen this model is old now and my local West Marine stores have them at 50% off.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When we bought our 265 Express last season the charger was fried, it was a guest. The owner replaced it before we took delivery...with you guessed it...a guest....and it is already acting up a little on us....and was only on its second season. The proMariner is a good charger, but not the best out there. For most boaters use, especially on a Grady it will work perfectly and will be more reliable then Guest chargers. Even better brands a Charles, Xantrex are great if you are running a portable generator, they will handle longer charging periods better. The absolute best charger I have seen is a mastervolt, but at a price tag of over $1200 it isn't practical for most boats under 30ft, but it has some high tech features and functions.

At that sale price, the ProMariner would be hard to beat, and as BobP says, they really are that easy to hook up, especially if your replacing an existing charger and you will be wiring it the same way.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I don't currently have a battery charger on my '08 225 but I had a Guest Sportsman on my previous BW 21' Outrage and I never had a moments trouble with it. It was charging two Optima Blue Top AGM batteries and left on all the time while the boat sat on the trailer between uses. I even left it hooked up all winter every year. The boat is now in Michigan with a new owner and he says it's working flawlessly. Just my experience, but I've been very happy with that Guest charger.
The only real drawback I have with my 225 is that the battery compartment is very cramped and I have to turn the DEKA wet batteries on their side to get them in and out. I wish GW had made the access door under the fold down seat bigger. I've suggested that to customer service but I guess they have bigger issues to deal with in this current economic climate.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I don't currently have a battery charger on my '08 225 but I had a Guest Sportsman on my previous BW 21' Outrage and I never had a moments trouble with it. It was charging two Optima Blue Top AGM batteries and left on all the time while the boat sat on the trailer between uses. I even left it hooked up all winter every year. The boat is now in Michigan with a new owner and he says it's working flawlessly. Just my experience, but I've been very happy with that Guest charger.
The only real drawback I have with my 225 is that the battery compartment is very cramped and I have to turn the DEKA wet batteries on their side to get them in and out. I wish GW had made the access door under the fold down seat bigger. I've suggested that to customer service but I guess they have bigger issues to deal with in this current economic climate.