Battery charger wiring

Tom H

Reaction score
My 2004 Marlin when I purchased it had a weird battery configuration being 12 and 24 volt which according to a dealer I spoke with, was a system they used when running bigger 12 KW radars as with mine, but due to charging problems etc this was no longer a practice simply now running everything on 12v. I've converted mine back.
My question is - from my charger there are 2 sets of positive and negative leads, at present they both go to the starboard bank of batteries. Is the correct set up to have one set to SB and the other to the Port bank? Or should there even be two sets, just one?
I presume if connected to both , and if ever you are unable to get a constant green fully charged indication on the charger, you would simply try disconnecting either bank to determine the faulty one.
Tom

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you should have 2 pair of batteries. Each pair is connected in parallel. One side of the charger goes to each pair. It won't matter which one of the pair you connect to, it will be the same. There should be 2 seperate green lights on the charger. One for each pair.
I hope that helps.

Tom H

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I thought that would be the case. I don't recall a second set of lights on the black box at the rear of the battery compartment, only one set working at present. There is also a second box with lights in the generator compartment under the big ice box. I'll check it all out when next down at the boat.

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The one near the generator under the fish box is the only charger on mine but I have the '05 and a 6KW radar.
Good Luck.