Battery hatch damage

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The battery hatch on my buddy's Marlin had a fight with some ice and lost. :(

There was ice behind the hatch that was not visible and when we pulled it open, the gelcoat was damaged. :-|

Can you please remind me what the steps are for this type of repair?

I seem to recall good posts on this here in the past but couldn't find the detailed one I was thinking of or perhaps I am misremembering. I did find these three:

Thanks,
-Scott

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18090

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22135&start=0

viewtopic.php?t=7688

Attachments

• batt_hatch_problem.jpg
    batt_hatch_problem.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 932

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just repaired the edges on my fish box lids. It appears there was some moisture infiltration in your pics as well. Most recently I used a flapper wheel on a grinder and removed about 1/8 inch of material around the outside edges. Then I laminated glass cloth and resin to build the edges back to dimension. I wrapped the glass up over the top surface in order to maximize surface contact from old to new. I also layered glass and resin on the inside edge and built a large fillet ( 2 inch radius? ) to add strength as this is a seat as well. You could use a Dremmel but the grinder and flapper worked faster. For me the most difficult part is the gelcoating. Oh yea, wherever a screw penetrated the surface, i drilled a larger hole and filled with resin in order to mitigate moisture entering and causing problems. Additionally, make sure the core is dry. Drill a couple of holes into it and check if wet.