Battery Life Question

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There was a good discussion started on 30 Sept here about winter storage of batteries. Someone stated that his were 4 years old and would need replacing soon. Question: Assuming you keep the batteies charged, have never let them fully discharge, run the boat at least every few wks except in the coldest part of the season, how long is a wet cell battery good for? Is 5 years pretty much the norm? I'd hate to be running my FF and radio all day just to find out later that there's not enough voltage to start the engine.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I guess it depends on a combination of battery quality, care, use. I just replaced my 3 original Nautica batteries 2 weeks ago. Two of them were tired (e.g. hydrometer test showed a weak cell). The third one still read the same as a new battery, on all cells. I replaced all 3 of them; 2 were the same 550 CCA Nautica HD, and the other one, which I out on the port side as the single, was a larger cap Nautica HD. Bought them at BJ's whilesale, with a $15 discount applied to each of the 3, out the door price with trade-in was $165.

Charged batteries will not freeze, and I have never removed them for winter storage I do keep them on a regular charge interval throughout the winter,thpugh, as the boat is stored, shrink-wrapped, at home.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Battery life is one of life's great mysteries. I've seen abused batteries last years longer than they should and I've seen others fail prematurely. The OEM battery in my pickup lasted 7 years through freezing winters, sizzling desert summers and numerous left lights on run downs.

At four years, the odds a battery might fail are starting to get up there. How high? Who knows? It's a question of whether you want to take the chance or not. I have two batteries in my boat so I don't worry too much, especially since I only go into the Chesapeake. I'd be more conservative going out offshore.

Generally speaking, a battery will let you know when it's getting weaker if you're paying attention. Using your FF and radio example, watch your battery voltage over the hours of usage. When the battery starts to weaken, you'll see lower voltage at earlier time intervals. That's when you should replace the battery. If you've got money to spare, you can replace it rather than watching it more closely.

Gary 89 Overnioghter

seasick

Reaction score
You have two batteries on that boat. Use one at a time when out there fishing and you should always have a charged backup. Alternate which one you use. I used to pick the battery based on the date I went out. Odd days got battery 1, even days got battery 2.
I am not as anal as I used to be so I randomly pick one or the other. On longer trips, I run out on one battery but switch to BOTH for the return trip. That charges both batteries

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Starting: 3-12 months
Marine: 1-6 years
Golf cart: 2-7 years
AGM deep cycle: 4-7 years
Gelled deep cycle: 2-5 years
Deep cycle (L-16 type etc): 4-8 years
Rolls-Surrette premium deep cycle: 7-15 years
Industrial deep cycle (Crown and Rolls 4KS series): 10-20+ years
Telephone (float): 2-20 years. These are usually special purpose "float service", but often appear on the surplus market as "deep cycle". They can vary considerably, depending on age, usage, care, and type.
NiFe (alkaline): 5-35 years
NiCad: 1-20 years

From http://www.batteryfaq.org
Check out the section on WHAT ARE THE COMMON CAUSES OF PREMATURE BATTERY FAILURE.
lifemap.jpg

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gwwannabe said:
Chris, This chart is a bit misleading. It is for batteries USED IN DEEP CYCLE APPLICATIONS. That why the starting battery life is so short.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Yes, from wind-sun site, I quoted my source. Not intended to mislead anyone.

A lot of guys will purport the use of cranking batteries on our boats, and this is why I disagree with that. If you are powering a plethora of accessories, like finder/plotter, radio, bait-well pump, lights, stereo, radar, the list can be long, then you're running your batteries down at drift or idle, and this is precisely what kills batteries that are not rated deep cycle. Even some of the cheaper deepcycles are not really such, they have thinner plates and aren't built well enough to endure repeated discharging.

Cranking batteries work great for that purpose, and if you have one it should be used only for such - one for each engine, used only for starting, or kept in reserve for starting, run everything else off a deep cycle.

So when one asks the question, 'How long will my batteries last?', the answer is really, what kind of battery did you put in there in the first place, how did you maintain it, and how did it get used?

My intention was to provide information to help one seek knowledge, not to answer the question directly. :wink:

twin250's

Reaction score
batteries

They are done. Buy new ones. Deka is the best. You should have two batteries. They won't fail @ the same time if that is what your worried about. It's gonna cost you. Tight lines!!!!! :roll:

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: batteries

twin250's said:
>SNIP Deka is the best. You should have two batteries.

Why are they better than LIFELINE, ODDESSEY, TROJAN, or ROLLS?

I have mostly seen/heard of Lifeline and Rolls in bigger yachts, so I'm curious. They'll run 3 or 4 8D AGM for floods. For smaller boats a lot of guys like the AGM's, Optimas, or flooded deepcycles, depending on their budget.

twin250's

Reaction score
Deka batteries

I have had the same Deka batteries on my boat for 8 years and no problems. Previous batteries such as Optima and Interstate both lasted 3 and 4 years. I take them out every year and store them where it is warm and charge the once every 3 or 4 weeks. My boat is pulled and out of the water for six months. Grady whites although very nice boats, are not yachts.