Battery Over-Charging Question

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I was charging my battery this weekend and accidentally left the charger on overnight (probably about 14 hours of total charging). When I returned to remove the charger, the meter on the charger indicated that the battery was fully charged but there was a small puddle of water around the bottom of the battery, although when I removed the caps, the water levels in the battery appeared to be normal (or even a little higher than when I started charging). It's a die-hard charger that was purchased last fall, which I thought had an automatic shutoff to prevent over-charging. I am assuming my battery is toast, but would appreciate any thoughts. Is there a way to get it tested before launching?

ctcbtr

Reaction score
problay fine, water is most likley batt acid (which you can netralize w/ baking soda) light gassing from charging. You can run it to auto zone and they will do a load test on it and tell you its condition.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get a sealed beam headlight, you know the ones our cars all used to have, pick one fom a 4 headlight system, square or round, your choice, probably get one cheap at the local auto barn, and connect it to the battery, turn it on before you go to sleep, if it's still on in the AM - battery is good to go.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Alternately, in case you think I'm wacked, take it to a battery guy and let you perform a load test.
Google for Interstate battery distributors, go directly to nearest distributor, and they will do it.
If no good, your replacement battery purchase if you choose to make it there, will be super fresh fully charged ready to crank.

I have no interest in Interstate, but there operation and products work for me.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
External accumulation of battery fluid is an indication of over-charging, and should not occur with an 'automatic' charger. I have a Shumacher auto that also has a 'manual' setting. In 'manual', it acts like a trickle charger and it will over-charge in time. Might want to check if yours might be the same.

With that said, your battery is probably OK unless the situation has been occuring for a long time ... :uhm