Battery Placement

ThemApples

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I shouldn't relocate the batteries under the console instead of in the stern hatches?

My reasoning is that it would elevate some of the weight in the stern and keep them more accessible and protected. :idea:

seabob4

Reaction score
ThemApples said:
Is there any reason why I shouldn't relocate the batteries under the console instead of in the stern hatches?

My reasoning is that it would elevate some of the weight in the stern and keep them more accessible and protected. :idea:

None whatsoever. Just make sure you have the appropriate cable sizing. Are you just going to move the batts and leave the switch and breaker in the bilge?

ThemApples

Reaction score
Currently, there is only one battery and a perko switch. I hve to check, but, I'm thinking about just moving the existing battery and adding a second. I'll probably leave the perko, unless it is best to have it mounted as close to the battery as possible.

seabob4

Reaction score
ThemApples said:
Currently, there is only one battery and a perko switch. I hve to check, but, I'm thinking about just moving the existing battery and adding a second. I'll probably leave the perko, unless it is best to have it mounted as close to the battery as possible.

No, you can leave the switch where it is...but I'd dump that Perko and get either a BEP or a Blue Seas...JMO
1sm088doubleup.gif

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Batteries may take more of a pounding when you move them forward. Not sure just what this does to battery life, but I would suggest a little extra security with the tie-down straps.

BobS

Reaction score
I've been considering the same mod. in my 249 CC. One potential issue I've found so far (still researching) is that fumes from batteries when they are being charged are very corrosive to electrical insulation and connections. Any body else have more on this? My thought is that they shoud not only be in battery boxes and firmly secured in a CC but also the space they sit in should be sealed from wiring, cables, hoses and open connectors other than those going to and from the batteries, but also vented to outside air. My console is one big void with all of my dash wiring, control cables, etc. exposed in it. Only thing holding me back at this point is fabricating an isolated space.
BobS

seabob4

Reaction score
You bring up a good point about outgassing and the effects it has on electrical componenents/wiring. However, I know many an owner who has moved the batts to the console with no ill effects. The key is proper ventilation so the escaping Hydrogen gas can't accumulate and work it's corrosive effects. At Proline, on the boats that we locate the batts in the console, we install a vent high and low on the console face to allow cross-ventilation.

Check out sites like Classic Aquasport or Classic Mako, you'll find a number of owners that are very happy they made the change...

ThemApples

Reaction score
It looks like Todd and moeller both make dual battery boxes with adequate protection and ventilation. Jamestown carries both. These combined with the additional couple vents placed on the console as mentioned above may do the trick.

On my boat, there's much more ventilation in the CC than in the stern compartment. There are also fewer gas fumes.

I'll let you know how it works out! :roll:

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 283 came with the batteries in the console. I was thinking of moving them to the back near the switches so I could have more room in the console for storage and access to electrical connections.

If the 283 came with the batteries in the console, it must be okay for them to be there.