Battery Question

Finatic

Reaction score
Hoping to get a little advice here. I'm planning to do some preventive maintance on my boat and I'd like to replace my batteries. I have a 2000 Gulfstream with twin 150 Yamaha SWSII. The current system has dual batteries running through two battery switches. Should I replace the batteries with starting or dual purpose? I spoke with a local dealer and they stated that I should use a dual purpose while Grady recommended the use of staring batteries. I just want to make sure that I choose something that can start the engines and handle the electronics.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I think your ideal system would be 2 starting batts + 1 house batt (deep-cycle). I know my 200 OX66 needs all the cranking amps I can get when cold starting. If you are limited to only 2 batteries, then you'd be best served w/ 2 dual-purpose.

Finatic

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I agree that the ideal situation would be 2 starting and 1 house battery but I think 2 dual purpose batteries may be the best compromise.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Finatic said:
Thanks for the response. I agree that the ideal situation would be 2 starting and 1 house battery but I think 2 dual purpose batteries may be the best compromise.

Agree. You should be fine with this setup.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I just upgraded to 2 AGM batteries...both have higher cranking capacity than the starting batteries that came with the boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Interstate marine deep cycle 27s or 29s. The deeps are duel purpose.
Go to Intersate distributor directly, and inquire hoe "fresh" battries are. This time of year no problem up north here.

If you have room for a 3rd battery, install the same, and run one motor from one battery, the other motor and electronics/aux from two batteries parrelled (via "Both" selection). Can use same two selector switches, reconfigured.