Battery Relocation?

fellinger

Reaction score
Does moving three batteries forward to under the seat or behind the aft berth really do much in the way of better handling for a 95 27 Sailfish? I have seen some post on those who have done it but, how much of a difference does it really make?

If you have done this please share your experiences.

Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Everything helps each one is approx 50lbs. Just comes down to doing the work. As a compare, a gallon of water and gas are about 8/6 lbs respectively. Might be easier to manipulate how much fluid you maintain if in the right spot.

fellinger

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Everything helps each one is approx 50lbs. Just comes down to doing the work. As a compare, a gallon of water and gas are about 8/6 lbs respectively. Might be easier to manipulate how much fluid you maintain if in the right spot.

Thanks. I think I might want to go through with it this winter. Does anyone have any pictures or can point me to a discussion I can read? I can't seem to find any while searching here.

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Before you get too far into this, be sure to take into account the price for all new battery cables. It is HIGHLY advised to use one continual length of battery cable. Also, since you're going a further distance (although I'm not sure how much further, off hand), you'll need to get larger ($$) cable. Good quality, tinned, marine battery cable is not cheap.

You might want to experiment with simply putting some extra weight where you anticipate putting the batteries and see how much of a difference it makes.

As far as actually doing it, there's nothing too special here. Run the new cables, support/protect them along the way, add new fittings at each end, re-mount the battery hold-downs and you're done. I'm making it sound easier than it is, but the best thing you can do is just get your head in there and look to see what you're dealing with and where you will run the cables.

GOA

Reaction score
I added a second battery to my GW 180 near the starboard transom area...and at WOT the listing to port virtually disappeared.
Can't attribute the change to anything else!
GOA :lol:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Running with the aux fuel tank empty may provide similar results.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I went from 2 group 24 batteries when I purchased the boat to 4 group 31 batteries in the transom. This was a lot of added weight and I was a bit heavy in the rear. Scuppers were still ok, but in a couple of rare situations where 3 fat guys were in the corner did we ever get any water to come up and it was very little.
However, I felt that on rough days, I could use more bow down. The trim tabs all the way down still would not get my nose down into it so I could use that excellent V up front to cut better.

So, I moved 2 house batteries up front under the deck and behind the aft berth and have noticed much improvement. I can get more nose down and the transom is sitting a bit higher. This was good move for me on the 25 Sailfish.

I have since made up 2 huge skillet size lead ballasts and bolted them to the anchor locker down very low under the front storage compartment in the cabin. I think these weighed about 35lbs total once I melted all this lead into the skillet, then drilled hole in middle for a bolt.

The lead helped even more and I think I now have the right amount of weight. It rides much better now!

I have never even come close to stuffing the bow on this model even in some 8' seas and swells! This model runs aft heavy so it can't hurt to move some weight forward.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Good post! Your have me thinking. My Overnighter 20 sits low in the stern with the Suzuki 225 hanging on the back. That motor weighs 470lbs compared the Yamaha 150 from '87 that weighed 390lbs. that the boat most likely was originally powered by. Thats an 80lb. additional load.
A quick check on the walmart site gave the weight of a basic marine battery at 45lbs. That means I can move at least 90lbs off that transom area by moving those batteries forward.
The open starboard locker would hold one battery easily but what can be done on the port side as that locker has the tackle locker?
Perhaps inside the cabin under the seats? I never really use those areas for anything. This will be considered for part of my winter project plans.
Mike.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
I would put the time into something else on the Sailfish. If you want the bow down to cut through bad chop just hit the trim tab button.

Reactions: Ozz043

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Another Distraction said:
I would put the time into something else on the Sailfish. If you want the bow down to cut through bad chop just hit the trim tab button.
That's assuming there is a trim tab button. My little Grady doesn't have them. :wink:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I could run tabs full down and still was nose high and not getting the benefit of the deep v in front, so in some seas, it was a harsh ride.

Now that I moved weight forward and added more ballast, the nose gets down where I need it and the ride is way better! Like it should be actually for this type of hull.

My batteries were approx. 70#'s each, so I moved approx 150# forward if you include the brackets cable, etc.

Some comments about mounting. I used the rubber exercise mat for the shock protection, made up battery clamps out of PVC board and the battery mounting kits with SS straps screwed into the bottom. This made for a very tight fit with no movement to protect the batteries.

Attachments

• 20141130_110432.jpg
    20141130_110432.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3,271

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
All 27'-28' sailfish have trim tabs.
Buy them and you'll be very happy with the results. I'll install them for you.

Robert,
Nice battery picture, clean and neat. If other people copy you they should add battery boxes with covers.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks! Agree on boxes if possible and I wanted to use battery boxes, but they just would not fit. There is not a 1/4" available in this space left. Only way to make one work would be to mold plastic around the battery! :D

I went with AGM's for this location as they don't gas as much as normal led/acid batteries and are much safer for any acid spills. There is no water dripping on them to short out, so don't really see need for the battery box after thinking through it.

The batteries in the transom also did not have room or ability to cover with a battery box lid, so keep them well lubed with either WD40 or Amsoil spray, whatever I have available. So far, no issues.

Just seems they never leave enough room for battery boxes and the one's that they do make are not always close to the battery dimension. Would be nice if they would make boxes to fit their marine batteries!

fellinger

Reaction score
Good info from/for all. I think I am going to forego the movement of my batteries for now. I use my trim tabs as appropriate but, I just want to rely on them a little less for increase fuel economy. I like the idea of adding some weight to the anchor locker. I may look into do the same thing.

Elbendo

Reaction score
I recently repowered to a 4 stroke and wanted to compensate for the extra weight on the stern. I moved my batteries into the cabin where the porta potty was.
Made big difference in boat handling and got the scuppers out of the water.. Well worth the time and money. Also gained some storage on the stern.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

fellinger

Reaction score
I recently repowered to a 4 stroke and wanted to compensate for the extra weight on the stern. I moved my batteries into the cabin where the porta potty was.
Made big difference in boat handling. Well worth the time and money. Also gained some storage on the stern.

Not sure I would have gone that route in your boat. It is a bad idea to have batteries in an enclosed space, especially while charging.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I don’t see that moving batteries will change the handling that significantly on a boat that size, it’s a bit like shifting an eski, the engine trim should compensate in my opinion.....tabs try not to use them if possible but they will lift the stern if required

I have 3 AGM batteries next to the holding tank of my Marlin, only because I have a big arst anchor winch and bow thruster, both of which draw a lot of power so it’s needed close by...they are sealed so charging is not an issue in the enclosed space

scott1949

Reaction score
I moved my two house batteries forward next to my 32 gallon fresh water tank on my 268 Islander. Gave me a lot more room for my 2 crank batteries stern. I think anything you can do to move whatever weight forward is beneficial.