Battery Replacement - 2005 282 Sailfish Twin Yamaha 225HP 4 Stroke

meletong

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Deka DP27 vs West Marine Dual Purpose? What do people prefer? Thanks in advance!
  • Both dual purpose
  • Both Group 27

meletong

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Specs are identical ... Deka on sale right now so they are $50 cheaper per battery than WM

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm using all Duracell AGM's purchased at Sam's Club.

Group 34 43.10 lbs. 955 MCA 55 AH. $119.32
Group 24 52.40 lbs. 800 MCA 78 AH. Did not see availability at my store.
Group 27 61.55 lbs. 900 MCA 92 AH. $158.88
Group 31 67.35 lbs. 1,000 MCA 105 AH. $179.74

I used a Group 34M Duracell Marine AGM for my Yamaha F150's. About 9 lbs lighter than a Group 24 and 17 lbs lighter than a Group 27 with higher MCA rating but less capacity. Also used for my 4th battery for bow thruster, windlass and bait tank pumps.

For the house I use a single Group 27M AGM.

meletong

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Quick search ... looks like East Penn makes the Deka batteries too! :D

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Quick search ... looks like East Penn makes the Deka batteries too! :D
Yes, Deka is a division under East Penn Manufacturing. I know the Duracell brand is made by Deka and also made to the same specs. I'm not sure about WM. But it's a pretty much a moot point since the WM is not going to be "better" AND they're more $$.

meletong

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, Deka is a division under East Penn Manufacturing. I know the Duracell brand is made by Deka and also made to the same specs. I'm not sure about WM. But it's a pretty much a moot point since the WM is not going to be "better" AND they're more $$.
Exactly, thanks Dennis!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
East Penn Manufacturing has signed an exclusive agreement with Duracell. A Duracell premium marine battery featuring AGM technology is also scheduled to be released at the onset of this highly anticipated product offering.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As others have said, East Penn makes both the DEKA and WM batteries, which is why the specs are identical.

Check Sams Club - the East Penn "Duracell" branded batteries (again, same battery) are substantially cheaper.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
As others have said, East Penn makes both the DEKA and WM batteries, which is why the specs are identical.

Check Sams Club - the East Penn "Duracell" branded batteries (again, same battery) are substantially cheaper.
I would like to think they are "less expensive" not "cheaper".

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had both Duracell and Interstate batteries and the Interstate lasted much longer. I’ll pay the extra money for the Interstates.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I had both Duracell and Interstate batteries and the Interstate lasted much longer. I’ll pay the extra money for the Interstates.
I used the Interstates but not their AGM's. I had good luck with them too. Switched to the Duracell AGM's for maintenance free and better price. So far the 3 34M's and 1 27M have been fine. About 3 years now.

Your batteries are only as good as your charger. What do you have for a battery charger? I'm using the ProMariner ProSport 20 Plus.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Generally speaking, Deka (who makes Duracell) and Interstate are both top notch. But one "data point" or "experience" doesn't make the Deka inferior to Interstate. Either one are good choices. There was another variable involved here for you to see that difference. It could have just been a bad battery - which happens to any of them. Case in point... I bought a new Interstate AGM for my car and 5 months later it wasn't holding a charge... should I write off Interstate for that one experience? No. Replaced it and all has been well for 5 years, now. All that said, we all do what we feel is best for us - and there's nothing wrong with that.