Battery replacement

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I have a 2017 Fisherman 236 that is my first boat, so bear with me. This will be the 5th season with this boat. Should I replace the batteries? I have had a problem with the electronics needing to re-boot when restarting the engine. In can be annoying when I lose the depth finder for a minute or two while in the back bay fishing. It probably happens about half the time. Would new batteries help this situation? Do most of you just replace them at certain intervals or wait for a sign of trouble? Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
Maybe.. Thinking it over , maybe you should just replace the batteries.
Five years of age is right in the 'need to replace' window.
The more exact way to tell is to remove the batteries, charge and then have them load tested at an auto store. Most will do that for free
The restart is caused by excessive voltage drop when cranking over the motor. The drop could also be a weak connection somewhere like a corroded connector or the like.
It's usually best to change both batteries at the same time with the same model battery if replacement is needed.

By the way, does the problem occur whenn running on a different battery, e.g on battery 2 as opposed to 1?

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
There are so many variables regarding boat batteries.. storage, usage, location , life span ... Your boat being a 2017, the wiring probably hasnt been molested. The easiest start for you would be to load test your batteries. If you keep the battery switch in the all position and start your engine the starter is pulling all voltage resulting in a drop to your electronics. Think of your car, you go to start it and it slooowly cranks over..Thats a sign of trouble..replace battery. I would probably just replace them going on 4 years

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Five years about right. Especially if you are loosing the electronics when starting the engine. Single engine or twins? Two or three batteries?

As far as batteries I'm using all Duracell AGM's purchased at Sam's Club.

Group 34 43.10 lbs. 955 MCA 55 AH. $119.32
Group 24 52.40 lbs. 800 MCA 78 AH. Did not see availability at my store.
Group 27 61.55 lbs. 900 MCA 92 AH. $158.88
Group 31 67.35 lbs. 1,000 MCA 105 AH. $179.74

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Maybe.. Thinking it over , maybe you should just replace the batteries.
Five years of age is right in the 'need to replace' window.
The more exact way to tell is to remove the batteries, charge and then have them load tested at an auto store. Most will do that for free
The restart is caused by excessive voltage drop when cranking over the motor. The drop could also be a weak connection somewhere like a corroded connector or the like.
It's usually best to change both batteries at the same time with the same model battery if replacement is needed.

By the way, does the problem occur whenn running on a different battery, e.g on battery 2 as opposed to 1?
It seems to happen on either battery. I use the batteries with the date, #1 on odd days and #2 on even days.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Five years about right. Especially if you are loosing the electronics when starting the engine. Single engine or twins? Two or three batteries?

As far as batteries I'm using all Duracell AGM's purchased at Sam's Club.

Group 34 43.10 lbs. 955 MCA 55 AH. $119.32
Group 24 52.40 lbs. 800 MCA 78 AH. Did not see availability at my store.
Group 27 61.55 lbs. 900 MCA 92 AH. $158.88
Group 31 67.35 lbs. 1,000 MCA 105 AH. $179.74
Single 300 Yamaha, two batteries.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I would isolate the house from the start battery. Use one battery for starting only and the other to run the house. reconfigure using a Blue Seas ACR or an Aux charging cable from your yamama
If you do that you will not have problems with electronics dropping out when you start your motor.

Then you might also get your batteris on a different schedule so you are not worried about both batteries going bad in the same year and you don't take a hit to your wallet every 5 years.
Buy one new Dual Purpose Marine battery now and one next year if you need it

Fishtales

Reaction score
If the reset is that much of a PIA, you can replace. I'd prob go a little longer but to each his own.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As often happens battery replacement questions often morph to wiring, charging and maintenance discussions which is a good thing!
2 batteries, one motor I would set up with identical batteries and 2 1-2-both-off switches. That would allow separation of house and starting but allow combination of both batteries for either function. It should eliminate your electronics dropout at starting. It would also allow you to alternate the responsibility of each battery should you find yourself deeply discharging the house side frequently (ie sitting at anchor using electronics regularly) which would prolong life spans.
As for replacing batteries on a specific time table, probably leads to getting rid of good batteries. As stated above lifespan of batteries has many factors to consider

seasick

Reaction score
I would isolate the house from the start battery. Use one battery for starting only and the other to run the house. reconfigure using a Blue Seas ACR or an Aux charging cable from your yamama
If you do that you will not have problems with electronics dropping out when you start your motor.

Then you might also get your batteris on a different schedule so you are not worried about both batteries going bad in the same year and you don't take a hit to your wallet every 5 years.
Buy one new Dual Purpose Marine battery now and one next year if you need it

Note that this idea of staggering battery replacements is a good idea only if the batteries are set up as isolated and separately charged. If the batteries are wired in common (parallel) they should be the same type and age.

seasick

Reaction score
SkunkBoat,
I wonder if you dream about Aux charging feeds and ACRs:)

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would also get a new battery charger if you are getting a new battery set. Or at least check it. Also battery straps are good to replace since the factory ones almost always dry rot. I also highly recommend the blue seas ACR.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
SkunkBoat,
I wonder if you dream about Aux charging feeds and ACRs:)
hahahaha...... it kills me to answer the same question over and over. I know a lot of you guys switch your switches back & forth to charge alternate batteries and I think it is just STUPID.

It kills me that Yamaha and Suzuki and others very purposefully put that Aux charging circiut in there for their customers who run two batteries (per motor), yet the dealers never mention it.

The boat mfgs configure the switches the way they did in 1974. Because thats how its done...

Kind of like how they cut out the transom notch to raw wood and then don't glass it over. They cover it with trim and call it a "Bang Plate" to make you feel like its doing something good....which it is definitely not....

I have twin motors, 4 batteries (1 start for each motor and a parallel House bank of 2). Everything charges when the motors are running. The house even charges when only one motor(either one) is running.
My electronics NEVER hiccup when I start a motor. My start batteries will never screw me because all they do is start one motor and charge up again. I will never forget to charge a battery.
I can use various switches to use differnt batteries to start or run the house if ever needed.

I like the Aux circuit. Its only "drawback" is that its a diode and so it drops 0.7v whereas a charging relay (in therory) does not.

Blue Seas has great info on their site...too much actually because there are so many ways to do things.

If you have a single motor and two batteries, go on their site and you'll find diagrams to charge both and Start interupt from house (SI) or just separate house from start altogether (preferable in my view).

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'll throw another tidbit out there about battery type. and I'm sure to get disagreement from oldtimers.
Lots of guys here say Marine "START" battery. They say they need the starting power. I have just never seen that except in the old days of carbeurated 2 strokes that had to be cranked over and over and over to get them to start.
True "Start" batteries are not designed to run a lot of electronics. They should start the motor and charge up again. Thats it.

I say Marine Dual Purpose (DP). Especially for you guys who are using your motor start battery as the house also.
DP batteries combine the high cranking amps with the ability to run things for a long time and "run down" between charging up.
I'm currently using 4 DP24M batteries

DC Deep cycle are the choice for running electric motors and inverters, although they could make a great house bank also. Any bank of these should be isolated from start batteries and charged separately.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I have two of those older 2 stroke motors that need high current starting batteries. They are soooo picky and sometimes when the motor is cold, they won't start unless Both batteries are selected. They aren't carbed though but rather DFI Optimax

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Was noticing that I needed both Start batteries to run the tilt/trim motor on my starboard engine (Yamaha F200), so just replaced the previous batteries in my Gulfstream with 3 Duracell Group 27 DP AGM's. PEACE OF MIND. Wired as Skunk said with the Aux charging line going to the house battery. All batteries isolated, unless on ALL. The only negative point I would make is that they're about 20lb heavier (each) than the old West Marine Start batteries that were in the boat, so my Gulfstream has "junk in the trunk". Previous batteries were 2018.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I change out my Deka batteries every four years - peace of mind is worth something.

Whazzup

Reaction score
I change out my Deka batteries every four years - peace of mind is worth something.
i just completed my third season with my 2018 Fisherman 216 single engine, 2 batteries and wondering if I should go another year. Sounds like 4 or 5 years is reasonable. ive never had a battery hiccough and the engine starts immediately every time. Next year I think I will carry a portable charger with me just to be sure.

in terms of switches, my switch is off-1-2-both. I was told to alternate batteries so I do odd-even 1-2 and don’t keep a strictly house battery or starting battery. I’ve never had to use both to start, even after drifting with the engine off. I would point out I rarely run the electronics without the motor for more than an hour (not a true sandbar guy) and I’ve never had an issue.

appreciate the help as always. Thank you

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
i just completed my third season with my 2018 Fisherman 216 single engine, 2 batteries and wondering if I should go another year. Sounds like 4 or 5 years is reasonable. ive never had a battery hiccough and the engine starts immediately every time. Next year I think I will carry a portable charger with me just to be sure.

in terms of switches, my switch is off-1-2-both. I was told to alternate batteries so I do odd-even 1-2 and don’t keep a strictly house battery or starting battery. I’ve never had to use both to start, even after drifting with the engine off. I would point out I rarely run the electronics without the motor for more than an hour (not a true sandbar guy) and I’ve never had an issue.

appreciate the help as always. Thank you
I think another year is a safe bet.

seasick

Reaction score
Generally as the batteries age, they will turn over the motor slower than when new. You may notice that on a cooler day or after an extended layup and non use.
It is possible but a lot less likely that a battery will just completely die but having two batters is pretty good insurance. A charge pack is a good idea especially if you typically take long trips offshore or like to anchor with the stereo blasting:).