battery replacements for 265

twinyams265

Reaction score
i will be putting 3 new ones in , a few weeks from now--any suggestions? my mechanic states put 3 deep cycles in-- i was thinking 3 dual purpose --any thoughts ?

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Either three dual purpose or one starting batt for each motor and then one deep cycle for your house battery

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I run four dual purpose on my 265...... two in each side.....
The fourth is completly isolated as a spare. (Charger keeps it nice and topped off)
Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I second what Tim said, if you are going to do it right, that is the way to do it. Make sure that the batteries you buy will power all your onboard electronics with enough to start after.

eppem

Reaction score
I boat my used two years ago...they came with batteries from the factory (duel), i forget the brand started with a d i think? I couldn't find them anywhere so i called grady...they said buy em at west marine as west batteries are contracted out to the same company that grady uses...sounded ok to me, plus batteries are usualy on sale in the spring?

good luck..

Tim, how did you set up the additional fourth battery? gread idea, i know where it goes, did you just tie it into the single battery on that side?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
eppem said:
Tim, how did you set up the additional fourth battery? gread idea, i know where it goes, did you just tie it into the single battery on that side?

Yup! But I isolated it with an On/Off switch and installed a three bank charger. I keep the four battery in the "Off" position, with the shore power keeping it topped off.
Should something happen, I switch it to "On" and the port side gets the power, switching the other battery switches around I can start both motors from it.

Tim

eppem

Reaction score
Outstanding idea Tim....

16 days to cover off, but who's counting?

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I drank the koolaid regarding the Cabela's AGMs and bought five of them several years ago. So far I have been very pleased.

vvreddy

Reaction score
twinyams265 said:
thanks gents , those were the two ideas i had--the boat came with 3 starting, i knew that was not ideal

Just to clarify - it is intended as two dual function and one starting. All the electronics on the boat are connected to the starboard battery switch through a 40 amp breaker (located by the switch). The Grady manual recommendation is that you keep the starboard switch to the ONE position and the port switch to the TWO position - the starboard battery bank being the ONE and the port battery bank being the TWO. With this setting bank ONE is charged by the starboard engine and bank TWO is charged by the port engine.

In this configuration the two starboard batteries serve two functions - starting for the starboard engine and house batteries. The port battery works for starting the port engine only. If you run down the two starboard batteries switching the starboard switch to BOTH will enable the port battery to serve as a backup to start the starboard engine. Works great for me.

I use 3 Cabelas AGMs (dual purpose) with a BassPro charger(5/5 amp, it has load sharing so all 10 amps can go to either bank) and they are awesome. Don't mix battery types on the starboard bank.

twinyams265

Reaction score
i looked at the optima battery today, dual purpose(model dm34) , looks equal in size to the 24 group batteries i have , they are $160 --i wonder if they worth the extra money compared to west marine type for around $100--any thoughts ?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
twinyams265 said:
i looked at the optima battery today, dual purpose(model dm34) , looks equal in size to the 24 group batteries i have , they are $160 --i wonder if they worth the extra money compared to west marine type for around $100--any thoughts ?

West Marine has the duel 750 cca Group 24 on sale up here in the north east for $69....

I replace two every season, that way I never have batteries on board older than two years, and always have a fresh set.

It would be a really bad thing to not be able to start my boat after a night of fishing 100 miles offshore! :wink:

Tim