Battery setting question, 209 Escape

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
The dual battery set up on my 209 has four setting - "battery 1, battery 2, both and off". When would I use "off"? Should I turn to off whenever I leave the boat? What exactly will setting it to "off" allow to continue to work - bilge? engine trim switch? GPS?
Thanks in advance.
B

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The bilge pumps are wired direct to one of the batteries. You should see some small leads off it. The auto portion of the pump is always on. I turn off my batteries everytime I leave the boat.

colecaz

Reaction score
I have a 209 with dual batteries also, and always turn the selector to OFF when leaving the boat. As previously posted, the bilge pump is hard wired to the stbd battery. I also alternate which battery I use so they both stay up. I never run on BOTH since one bad battery will drag the other one down.

Works for me.

seasick

Reaction score
Barrettkatz said:
The dual battery set up on my 209 has four setting - "battery 1, battery 2, both and off". When would I use "off"? Should I turn to off whenever I leave the boat? What exactly will setting it to "off" allow to continue to work - bilge? engine trim switch? GPS?
Thanks in advance.
B
Bilge , yes, everything else, no...(including trim)
To be safe, turn to OFF when not in use. It is fairly common to accidentally leave something on like the VHF radio or a helm light or a pump and run the battery dead.

While we are at it, note that for that boat it is not generally necessary to use the BOTH setting when starting and running. Many folks alternate the use of Batt 1 and Batt 2 either by day or by direction ( 1 out, 2 in).
Never switch from any position through OFF while the motor is running.
1 to Both to 2 is OK, 2 to Both to 1 is OK, Both to 1 or Both to 2 are all OK.
1 to OFF to 2 or 2 to OFF to 1 is not OK with the motor running. You could damage the motor electronics.

mlgrady20

Reaction score
I run with both batteries on. Have never had a problem with power at all. When I am at the dock hanging around I run 1 battery. If I am out fishing I run 1 battery. Like the previous posts said make sure you do not switch the batteries to off while motor is on. If you think your batteries are low just take them out and put them on a trickle charger and make sure to check the water level in them periodically during the season.

seasick

Reaction score
I always go out on one and fish on one. Sometimes I will switch to both for the ride home, usually if I am 30 minutes or more out. I do that just to top off both batteries.