Battery switch issue

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So today as I was leaving the boat I noticed that neither of my two battery switches would turn off. I know That they have worked in the past. The only difference today was that I replaced 5 blown fuses. I didn’t have time to remove the batteries to get to the switches so I’ll go back later to address. Hopefully, the batteries aren’t dead when I get there! They are the Guest 1-2-both-off switches. I tried every configuration and no luck. It’s is extremely curious that both would go up at the same time. Any thoughts? I’m not really good at electric yet, but will be learning very soon. Ordering new switches and panels from New Wire Marine( gotta send in the templates this week) and ordering all electronics this week too. gotta add nmea2k network as well.
I‘ll start researching battery switches but thought I would ask here too since there is so much knowledge.
thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What you've written does not make sense. These switches are not electronic and RARELY go bad. Having two of them disintegrate on the inside at the same time is pretty much unheard of. What would make more sense is that you had the switches on the wrong setting.

But... what do you mean by they wouldn't go off?

I don't see mention of what kind of boat you have, but generally speaking, if you leave the switches on there shouldn't be a problem if you turned all accessories off. You should be good for many weeks.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Yeah, I agree that it doesn't make sense. The batteries would not turn off. I left the lights on and noticed when I got in my truck. I got back in the boat and turned the battery switches in every direction (1,2,both,off) but the lights would not go off. I turned them off at the switch. I didn't have time to investigate any further last night.
My boat is a new to me 2003 265.
Thanks for trying to help me!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have both of your battery switches off and you still have lights working on the boat, then someone in the past has made a direct connection to one or both of the batteries. Trace the wires from the lights that work with the battery switches off back to the source where they are getting 12V and make it right. Everything except your bilge pumps and radio memory should be getting power through the battery switches.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
If you have both of your battery switches off and you still have lights working on the boat, then someone in the past has made a direct connection to one or both of the batteries. Trace the wires from the lights that work with the battery switches off back to the source where they are getting 12V and make it right. Everything except your bilge pumps and radio memory should be getting power through the battery switches.
No. Everything still works with the batteries switched to off, or 1, or 2, or both. The wiper motor, mascerator, fresh water pumps. Everything. Something is up with the switches. I just need to find time to get there to investigate. I was thinking that someone may have had a similar issue that would help focus my investigation.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What model is this on? At the risk of sounding dumb, could there be another battery somewhere? it really doesn't make any sense, either hidden battery or hot wired to dash to circumvent an issue but you should see a wire to battery if so.

seasick

Reaction score
I am curious about the 5 blown fuses. When did they blow and did they all blow at the same time?
Were there storms with lightning in your area recently?

Just to keep us sane, have the switches worked before? If the lights you are referring to are the navigation lights, normally during the daytime the helm switch would be OFF but even if left on the main battery switch would disconnect power when set to OFF.
I agree that the situation you describe is very weird and in addition your info, especially history' is lacking.
So provide more details about what was, what is, what you did (like the fuses) etc.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
265 x? do you have the owners manual to look at battery switch diagram?

do the motors turn over with both switches on off? Is it just the House power that doesn't switch? Normally Grady connected the House red button breaker to the starboard switch common stud.

Does it have a Red Button breaker or has that been replaced with a switchable breaker?

Did you have wires off of the batteries at some point before this problem? Did you have wires off the switches?

You say you "need to remove the batteries to get to the switches"... that doesn't sound right

WHen you turn the switches, they click like normal into each position?

You replaced 5 fuses at the fuse block under the dash? Or were they connected to a battery?

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So with a 265, you probably have twin engines? It's likely that you were messing with the ENGINE battery switches and there is a separate HOUSE battery switch that you haven't used, yet.

Unless... and I didn't see this clarified... has turning ONLY those two switches off in the past also killed power to the house and have you TESTED that... meaning, have you ever tried turning on an accessory with those two switches off in the past?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It is more likely that one of your switches, probably the starboard one, feeds the house bus. That switch may be the bad one and may not turn off. Check voltage on the house side of that switch when it is in the off position that should tell you if the switch is bad. If that does not show voltage in the off position then check the other switch in the same manner.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Disconnect the + cable from each battery, and see if the lights go out. Which battery? If not, you have another battery. If so, disconnecting will save your battery until you have time to work on finding the problem.
If your boat is in the water, that won't be a good idea, since normally that would disable the bilge pump.

Last edited:

D.D.

Reaction score
Five blown fuses would cause me significant concern........

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
It's not just lights getting power. It's everything. I agree it should only being the bilge pump getting power if the float switch rises. I believe that is wired correctly

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
What model is this on? At the risk of sounding dumb, could there be another battery somewhere? it really doesn't make any sense, either hidden battery or hot wired to dash to circumvent an issue but you should see a wire to battery if so.
This is a 2003 265 Express. I have not found another battery elsewhere other than where they are supposed to be. There are 4 starting batteries. Two connected to each battery switch.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I am curious about the 5 blown fuses. When did they blow and did they all blow at the same time?
Were there storms with lightning in your area recently?

Just to keep us sane, have the switches worked before? If the lights you are referring to are the navigation lights, normally during the daytime the helm switch would be OFF but even if left on the main battery switch would disconnect power when set to OFF.
I agree that the situation you describe is very weird and in addition your info, especially history' is lacking.
So provide more details about what was, what is, what you did (like the fuses) etc.
I don't know when they blew. I just bought the boat. I replaced all of the scupper hoses and sanitation hoses along with an external macerator pump like suggested on this site. I am just getting around to starting electric/electronics. yes, the switches have worked before including after i removed all 4 starting batteries (yes i know there should be a deep cycle but this is how i got the boat) to cut out the battery shelf (see my thread on here). I suppose that there could have been lightening between then and now. Sorry that i can't provide more information at this time. I'm trying to find time to get to the boat. Thank you for trying to help me!

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
265 x? do you have the owners manual to look at battery switch diagram? Yes i do have this.

do the motors turn over with both switches on off? Is it just the House power that doesn't switch? Normally Grady connected the House red button breaker to the starboard switch common stud. I don't know if they will turn over, but they definitely turn on because i turned the key to see if the gauges would like up....Which they did. The lowers are off now for the dreaded exhaust repair so i didn't want to try to start.

Does it have a Red Button breaker or has that been replaced with a switchable breaker? It does have the red button breaker which will be replaced per your suggestion in another one of my threads.

Did you have wires off of the batteries at some point before this problem? Did you have wires off the switches? I have removed all 4 starting batteries ( i know that there should be a deep cycle battery but this is how i got the boat this winter) when i cut out the battery shelf to replace all 4 scupper hoses (see my thread on here). No, i did not have wires off the switches.

You say you "need to remove the batteries to get to the switches"... that doesn't sound right. The 4 batteries and one charger take up a good amount of space for me to reach the switches. It can be done, but definitely easier to remove things to have more room. I'm not super tiny :)

WHen you turn the switches, they click like normal into each position? Yes, they did seem to click normally.

You replaced 5 fuses at the fuse block under the dash? Or were they connected to a battery? Yes, the fuse block under the gauge panel on the starboard side. I replaced with the ones that light up when blown so that i could see without removing the panel when on the water.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So with a 265, you probably have twin engines? It's likely that you were messing with the ENGINE battery switches and there is a separate HOUSE battery switch that you haven't used, yet.

Unless... and I didn't see this clarified... has turning ONLY those two switches off in the past also killed power to the house and have you TESTED that... meaning, have you ever tried turning on an accessory with those two switches off in the past?
No, there are only 2 switches (one for each bank of two starting batteries). yes, i know that there should be a deep cycle but this is how i bought the boat. yes, in the past turning just the switches killed all power when in the off position. I can not confirm with any certainty that on 1 or 2 did what it was supposed to do. I only tested with both and off. Thank you!

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
It is more likely that one of your switches, probably the starboard one, feeds the house bus. That switch may be the bad one and may not turn off. Check voltage on the house side of that switch when it is in the off position that should tell you if the switch is bad. If that does not show voltage in the off position then check the other switch in the same manner.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will try this and report back