Battery Type - Cranking or DP or DC for Fisherman 222

Over the life of my boat dealers have put in DP [dual purpose]+DC [deep cycle] or 2x DP or 2x Cranking batteries... So wondering what is the best choice. Reminder that a Fisherman runs the auto bilge and electronics and I usually start the engine off battery #1.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Grady White Model
Offshore
Reminder that a Fisherman runs the auto bilge and electronics and I usually start the engine off battery #1.
Nothing new, there. That's pretty typical of any boat. Most boats have an auto bilge and some sort of electronics.

There's no one best answer here. It's more of a personal preference. Even different manufacturer's have different preferences. The most important thing is that your batteries are properly rated for how you use them. A Fisherman isn't a big boat, so it makes things easier. You could go as simple as a dedicated cranking battery and one DC 'house' battery. Or, change it up as you see fit for your preference.

EDIT:
Actually, you could "go as simple" as a single starting battery and nothing else. If your electronics are only being used with the engine on, that's all that's really "needed". Beyond that... depends on use and preference.

Last edited:
Website
www.youtube.com
Grady White Model
Express 265
You'll get a lot of opinions.
Here's mine...
I ran a 20 footer for 18 years using a single 27DP. In water all season. fishing up to 60 miles east. VHF Sonar Chartplotter, Lights. I fished at night often. I did not run a livewell.
Replaced every 5'ish years at the first hint of weakness when lowering the motor.
If I had another battery I would have had to replace 2 every five years.
That said, I'd get another 27DP ...but 2 or three years apart so they "rotate position".

also, new fuel injected four strokes start at the touch of the key. Not like old carbuerated 2 strokes ...ratatatatatatatatata....ratatatatatatataa..ship!....ratatatatata

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Grady White Model
Islander
Oh.. .batteries always bother me.

On my triton, I had a 36v trolling motor so had 3 DC for that. Then, I had 3 more batteries for the cranking and electronics. I kept a backup for the cranking and would tie into it for a spare house if I really had to. but.. one thing I hope to do is add a couple DC for my house system on the GW...if I can figure how to do it, I will add 3 for the house and leave the 3 other batteries as 2 cranks and a backup.

I overkill stuff.. lol.. but had an issue with one boat where it always died...and vowed never to let the battery be an issue again :p
That being said... probably way overkill and not needed... heh.. but not sure what the consumption is atm..

R