Battery Type - Cranking or DP or DC for Fisherman 222

jrmlsc

Reaction score
Over the life of my boat dealers have put in DP [dual purpose]+DC [deep cycle] or 2x DP or 2x Cranking batteries... So wondering what is the best choice. Reminder that a Fisherman runs the auto bilge and electronics and I usually start the engine off battery #1.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Reminder that a Fisherman runs the auto bilge and electronics and I usually start the engine off battery #1.

Nothing new, there. That's pretty typical of any boat. Most boats have an auto bilge and some sort of electronics.

There's no one best answer here. It's more of a personal preference. Even different manufacturer's have different preferences. The most important thing is that your batteries are properly rated for how you use them. A Fisherman isn't a big boat, so it makes things easier. You could go as simple as a dedicated cranking battery and one DC 'house' battery. Or, change it up as you see fit for your preference.

EDIT:
Actually, you could "go as simple" as a single starting battery and nothing else. If your electronics are only being used with the engine on, that's all that's really "needed". Beyond that... depends on use and preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: merc663

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You'll get a lot of opinions.
Here's mine...
I ran a 20 footer for 18 years using a single 27DP. In water all season. fishing up to 60 miles east. VHF Sonar Chartplotter, Lights. I fished at night often. I did not run a livewell.
Replaced every 5'ish years at the first hint of weakness when lowering the motor.
If I had another battery I would have had to replace 2 every five years.
That said, I'd get another 27DP ...but 2 or three years apart so they "rotate position".

also, new fuel injected four strokes start at the touch of the key. Not like old carbuerated 2 strokes ...ratatatatatatatatata....ratatatatatatataa..ship!....ratatatatata

Last edited:
Reactions: merc663

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh.. .batteries always bother me.

On my triton, I had a 36v trolling motor so had 3 DC for that. Then, I had 3 more batteries for the cranking and electronics. I kept a backup for the cranking and would tie into it for a spare house if I really had to. but.. one thing I hope to do is add a couple DC for my house system on the GW...if I can figure how to do it, I will add 3 for the house and leave the 3 other batteries as 2 cranks and a backup.

I overkill stuff.. lol.. but had an issue with one boat where it always died...and vowed never to let the battery be an issue again :p
That being said... probably way overkill and not needed... heh.. but not sure what the consumption is atm..

R

jrmlsc

Reaction score
A follow on question. Trying to be smart I bought Cranking and DC batteries for my Fisherman 222 and placed the cranking on the starboard side [battery #1] thinking that it is the battery that I use for starting most of the time. Now I wonder if that was the right thing to do. Looking at a very limited wiring diagram for the 222, I see that the bilge pump runs off Battery #1.... and it is the only real drain on my batteries when the boat is not in use. Battery position #2, port battery seems not to have anything significant running off it. Hence the question, should i really be using 2x DP batteries? or use the Cranking only on the Battery #2 position? Does anyone know the fisherman 222 wiring well enough to know what batteries for which position are recommended?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Over the life of my boat dealers have put in DP [dual purpose]+DC [deep cycle] or 2x DP or 2x Cranking batteries... So wondering what is the best choice. Reminder that a Fisherman runs the auto bilge and electronics and I usually start the engine off battery #1.

GW recommended starting batteries versus deep cycle or dual purpose. On my Marlin one band is to start engine 1 and has some electrical items attached, same with bank 2.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my 228 I'm running 2 cranking batteries on a 1-2-both switch, all electronics are on fuse block so which ever battery I have selected powers everything. Auto bilge is hot irregardless of what position the switch is in. I have two 27 DC's powering my trolling motor and a small set of jumper cables onboard incase I need the juice from them to start motor and get me home.

seasick

Reaction score
I have cranking batteries on my 208. The first set lasted 7 years. The second set is into year 5. One may be getting a tad weak, will know better next spring. For the record, the boat can sit for weeks at a time and has no battery charger. In addition, it starts every spring without a hiccup. I disconnect the grounds for the winter but do not remove the batteries.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I pack 2 dual purpose batteries through an ACR, isolating the electronics from the starting load. For back up ( a day pulling prawn traps from 400ft.) Although never used it I cary a portable battery pack with an nematic pump (low trailer tire possibility on long trips.) Finding in my attempt to age gracefully, a slight paranoia of things possible going sideways comes along for the ride... so no doubt a little overkill!
Russ, I think my 208 would be submarining with all those batteries.....but you got to go with what keeps you calm! Have you been getting the boat wet? Cheers trapper

Last edited: