Battery

Jitrag

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey folks, need a little help/suggestions with the following. In May of 2018 I purchased a 1998, 272 Sailfish where the previous owner has 3 Interstate cranking batteries one of which is the house battery. The three battery models are Interstate 24M-XHD. I want to replace the house/accessory battery with a deep cycle Interstate model SRM-31. Any issues connecting the deep cycle to the crank batts used by the engines? I see that they are all connected and the engines and charger shouldn't have a problem charging the deep cycle batt sufficiently? Going for a week long trip to Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard. The new electronics package beeps when the voltage drops while at anchor and it is annoying.

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
In general, batteries used in common should be the same type and approximate age. That said, the way your batteries are wired has a lot to do with how they are charged and whether a different type of battery would be OK to use. You may need to add an isolator or an ACR to keep all the batteriey banks happy.
A funny side note: Yesterday, I was doing some research on older Mercs Optis and the engine rigging instructions specifically state that deep cycle batteries should not be used. It didn't say not to mix types, it said not to use them at all. I will have to see why that is and how it might apply to other model motors.

Jitrag

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My boat has twin 225hp two stroke Yamaha Saltwater series II engines.

Wondering if I should go with three dual purpose batts vs two cranking and one deep cycle.

Thanks

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My boat has twin 225hp two stroke Yamaha Saltwater series II engines.

Wondering if I should go with three dual purpose batts vs two cranking and one deep cycle.

Thanks
I also have a 98 272 Sailfish and same motors as you....when I got it last yr it had 6 yr old Interstates in it...starting battery Group 24 for each motor and a deep cycle 27 for the house.
I replaced with starting batteries for each group 24 but found out there was enough room to put a 31 in for the house. I rarely use the house battery when not underway just because for me there's not a ton I need it for no the mooring.

I got the Everstart Marine Maxx batteries from WalMart as CCA/reserve hour and price wise seemd to be the best deal.
I found some very fresh ones with an April date code that we put in a few weeks after purchase.

Your trip sounds awesome. Where are you based out of? I'm near Portsmouth NH and am taking our boat down to the Cape and RI for a week starting either Aug 3rd or 4th (depending on weather/wind) Long trip with my wife and 2 boys (6 and 3.5) but should be very memorable for us. We will also be at Cuttyhunk for 1-2 nights

Jitrag

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey, great to come across another 98 Sailfish owner.

Thanks for the information as it is a big help!

We keep the boat at Safe Harbor Marina (formerly Brewers Sakonnet) in Portsmouth, RI.

Weather permitting, we will be pulling out of the marina for Block Island this coming Saturday evening or early Sunday. Might stop at Point Judith.

Unfortunately it looks like we will just miss you as we plan to be back the weekend you hit Cuttyhunk. However, we might actually crossing paths on our way back from the Vineyard. Our boat is named "Talivia Too" after the kids and this being our second boat.

Here's a pic from Potters Cove this past weekend. 20190720_162736.jpg

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great looking sled! We love ours and have been out sleeping overnight (1-2 nights) every wknd since Memorial Day. Getting the family used to the routine and getting it equipped for overnighting. For the size it rides and sleeps very big we feel but my kids are 6/3 so they have their "back cabin" for themselves

You will have a great trip. A bit shorter than me but still some good water to cross. These are very capable boats. My longest run on my trip is from Newington NH to Falmouth MA about 110 miles. Going to require use of both fuel tanks

I brought this boat up from Gales Ferry CT last September so am familiar with the route

Getting the file too large error message otherwise would show mine

Feel free to drop a PM if you want to swap any tips about the boats. Have an awesome trip

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great looking sled! We love ours and have been out sleeping overnight (1-2 nights) every wknd since Memorial Day. Getting the family used to the routine and getting it equipped for overnighting. For the size it rides and sleeps very big we feel but my kids are 6/3 so they have their "back cabin" for themselves

You will have a great trip. A bit shorter than me but still some good water to cross. These are very capable boats. My longest run on my trip is from Newington NH to Falmouth MA about 110 miles. Going to require use of both fuel tanks

I brought this boat up from Gales Ferry CT last September so am familiar with the route

Feel free to drop a PM if you want to swap any tips about the boats. Have an awesome trip

I get the same file too big error on most of my pics. I crop them a bit using windows photos editor and they will work after fyi~

Jitrag

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Quick question. What engine spares do you carry on long trips? Our last boat was a large cabin cruiser with twin V8s. So we are new to outboards.

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Quick question. What engine spares do you carry on long trips? Our last boat was a large cabin cruiser with twin V8s. So we are new to outboards.

I have extra fuel water separating filters, extra fuses, and spark plugs. Beyond that if anything goes really wrong I'll be forced to utilize my SeaTow membership

Have a safe trip and post up pics!