Bay area albacore....

reelscreamer2

Reaction score
We went 65 miles out of Santa Cruz and found 62 degree water on a temp break from 59. Trolled tuna clones with 6 lines total including 2 on the riggers. 9 foot swells and 13 mph winds but the fish were biting. Finally filled the Islander fish box to capacity with 17 tuna and 45 lbs of ice. Lost a few fish but had a great time overall!

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

Rachael%2013%20months%20064.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nice catch. I can't believe the water temps. How warm does it get there during the summer months? Those are our winter temps

reelscreamer2

Reaction score
The water doesn't get much warmer than this offshore. Closer to shore the water temp is in the mid 50's. The air temp is in the 70's and low 80's along the coast and into the low 100's inland where I live in San Jose. Today we were in the upper 90's at my house. We get what we call Indian Summer on the West Coast where the Fall temperatures are in the 80's through October. The water never gets warm like on the East coast.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very nice catch!! Those tuna will be mighty tasty, albacore, or as we call them on the east coast, lonfin are my favorite to eat!! Only 45lb of ice for all those fish? I typically take out about 200lbs of ice for a day trip and 350lb for an overnighter, gotta have 1/2lb of ice min per lb of fish, 1:1 is the desired ratio to keep a catch cold especially when you have a few hour ride back home. Thanks for the report!!