beaching it - aka letting your grady sit on the sand?

ovidgsd

Reaction score
assuming it is an outboard, engines all the way up, and it is all sand (and crustations :D ) - any problem with that?

--- I'm NOT talking about driving it up on to the sand --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-34h0qM ... re=related - LOL

Seems like a simple no answer to me. Understandably, any time the hull touches anything, wear on the gel coat occurs - but minor in this case and acceptable for the benefit achieved. The senario I'm most interested in is when you go to a beach that you are familiar with and it is all sand, you plan to stay for the whole tide - or campout overnight - what's the harm in letting the tide go out from under the boat, letting it sit there on the sand, until the next tide comes back in and floats you again?

Also, my understanding is that the late model SV2 hulls are quite flat in the back - so when the boat is sitting on the sand, the boat will be relatively straight, not leaning/listing to one side?

Boats considered for this seniaro are 28 release, 30 bimini, 28 marlin/sailfish, 30 marlin 8)

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On the Annisquam river in Gloucester, there are many homes that do not have "deep water" docks and their boats (all shapes and sizes) are grounded for several hours a day @ low tide. Also, at the mouth of the river, there is a area where, quite often, I see boats beached. Some of them maybe for everyone's sake as they probably should not be driving! :shock:

mhff34

Reaction score
The problem with driving onto the beach is the waves are still slapping your boat around versus a dock where the boat just settles into the sand or mud at rest. Also, if you pull straight up to beach and you have say a 30' boat that means you either climb over bow rails and jump down from the bow or you go out the back but now you are 30' from the beach. Better to drop anchor and back in to about 5' and drop stern anchor then as the tide changes you can use your 2 anchors to adjust either backward or forward.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Better to drop anchor and back in to about 5' and drop stern anchor then as the tide changes you can use your 2 anchors to adjust either backward or forward.

That's exactly how I do it but I assumed he meant just allowing the boat to become grounded as the tide goes out. Waves are not much of a factor on a river beach except from other boats. There are times when hanging out at Wingaersheek Beach, the tide is rising and we have an on shore breeze and I just let Mother nature do all the work for me. Good Times!! :D

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The very short answer is as long as (as mhff34 said) no waves are banging you around and we're talking sand not rock, why not?

ovidgsd

Reaction score
yep ;) love the north shore ;)

my wife and I love wingersheek, and essex bay, and the surrounding areas - I figured this was the answer but its my first boat of this class and this is not a question covered by the navigational saftey course! ;)

With a small boat, it is easy moving it as the tide goes out - by hand - but the tide goes out fast here in MA - moving the "big" boat every 15 minutes doesn't appeal to me. Better to just camp out and enjoy the day, and night..... :D

FloridaCrab

Reaction score
I live on the gulf...Clearwater, FL. The water is warm all year long. I get to an island, I back the boat up as close as I can. Anchor bow and stern. Coming off the platform, the water is only a couple feet deep. I don't want my boat on the bottom.

Brad1

Reaction score
Sand is an abrasive. When you apply sand to get coat and there is movement between the two, the gel coat gets worn.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only provision would be to anchor with a stern anchor on the beach so that the bow faces the incoming tide;We have up to 3 mtre tides and I have seen a transom flooded with incoming seas.
Also be aware if you have a transom mounted transducer it can take a pounding if there is a bit of chop coming in and the stern is lifting and dropping sharply.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good point about the transducer Jekyl, I hadn't thought of that but just another reason not to beach your boat.

I also use a stern anchor and keep moving it as the tide changes. It can be an aggravation but so much better than sanding the bottom of the boat.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I have nosed mine in to the sand before, however i have bottom paint to take the rubbing. I dont see a problem with it in that case. I would be more worried about the boat being high and dry.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There is no rough surf where we're talking about. I agree, if on a regular ocean facing beach it could present a problem. Next time I go down river at low tide, I'll snap a few pics. Happens every day, Ok twice a day, at low tide. I've never let my rig get dry but 1/2 hour from low I couldn't move her until tide came in. The sand, as the tide goes out cradles the boat very nicely. No waves to slop the boat around, no problem!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
An occasional beaching isn't going to hurt anything, but if you do it a lot install one of those rub-strips on the bow and keel: http://www.keelguard.com/keelguard.html

kgright.jpg

The aft portion of the hull is not flat and the boat would heel over about 20 degrees if left to go dry. If there is wave action it would take quite a beating to do that - not a good idea.

I'm with the other guys - I usually throw an anchor out and run a stern line to shore so the bottom of the stern is a foot off the bottom or so. That way you can wade in and step up on the boarding ladder. Even on the little 208, climbing over the bow is a chore to say the least.

sickday

Reaction score
Is there a concern with clogging your raw water intake ports? I'm a recent owner and want to beach my Marlin, but I'm wary because I feel like I will damage those (are they called scuppers?). 12,500 lbs sitting on those intakes in sand is worrisome to me. But what do I know, I'd love to not have to worry about the tide.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Is there a concern with clogging your raw water intake ports?

I wouldn't try to use them while the boat is partly wet and would wait until it't floating. There may be a concern with bending the strainer??? Mine is bent though from my first year trailering before I slipped the boat. The rollers pass right over the stainer. It still works fine though.

As far as beaching the boat, the question was could you do it? My answer was and still is - yes. Have I done it? Almost. Do I see it often? -yes. Should you do it often? - I personaly wouldn't.

If the conditions are right and your in the right place...