Beam Width 9'6" and trailering from Maryland to Florida

Reaction score
What is the proceedure to tow 9"6" on the highway?? Permits needed?? How can you get permit to tow from Md. to FL. What about the bay bridge tunnel? What do all you beamies do??? :?:

ocdansar

Reaction score
Dot has a website in florida go online fill out form select date and route pay online and they will fax you permit with instructions on what your limits are.

Desperado

Reaction score
I pulled a 272 from Ft. Lauderdale to Alabama without a permit and never was stopped (saw plenty of troopers and DOT vehicles). I stayed on the turnpike and interstates. Permits are cheap, and I probably would get one if I had to do it over. But......it can be done without one, you just risk getting a fine.

ocdansar

Reaction score
forgot to post 5 bucks for single trip plus 5 bucks for fax fee 10 bucks total

Dave S

Reaction score
Im a Deputy in NC in a big boating community I personally wouldnt look at stopping someone with a boat over 8'6". Thats dumb. Leave that one for the troopers that are gung ho. The troopers in our county i know wouldnt stop for that.. Im to busy looking at what type of boat it is.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I have done the trip from Maryland to Florida several times, towing a boat that has a beam of over 8 1/2 feet. I have done it without permits, no problem and I have done it with permits. Your call. Just remember, if something happens and you do not have permits, your libility risk is through the celing.

Best bet, contact:
Christine L Plaisted
> Mercury Permit Services
> Transportation Consultant
> (888) 239-7773
> (702) 944-9973
> (702) 396-1932
> christine@mercurypermits.net <mailto:christine@mercurypermits.net>
> <mailto:christine@mercurypermits.net>

The total cost for MD to FL is just over $500. I am making the trip (with permits) this morning. Christine will make the process very painless, except the bill. However, once you understand the potential liability, $500 is nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have towed with and without permits in fla also, I have never been stopped and with the express at almost 12' I can't believe I haven't. There is always a first for everything and given the economic condition of our state I wouldn't take a chance, if you get stopped and you are not legal your trip is over right where they stop you until you get it legal or find a legal hauler, also fines can get really high and mandatory court appearance is what I have been told.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Return Trip

We towed the Canyon Draggin' down to FL and back this past week without an issue for the most part. On the way back we were stopped in NC by a trooper and measured (at the transom). I had all of my permits in order, he didn't even ask to see them. I thnik the width in NC and VA was recently increased, I'll have to look it up. He did quiz me on the max weight authorized by my DL and he loooked the truck & trailer over. When I told him my DL is good to 26k, he said well its probablt close, but under 26k. I assured him we were less than 18k total with the truck even loadad for offshore. It was quick and painless but it could have been worse if he measured at the beam and I did not have permits...

Dave S

Reaction score
Re: Return Trip

Kenlahr said:
We towed the Canyon Draggin' down to FL and back this past week without an issue for the most part. On the way back we were stopped in NC by a trooper and measured (at the transom). I had all of my permits in order, he didn't even ask to see them. I thnik the width in NC and VA was recently increased, I'll have to look it up. He did quiz me on the max weight authorized by my DL and he loooked the truck & trailer over. When I told him my DL is good to 26k, he said well its probablt close, but under 26k. I assured him we were less than 18k total with the truck even loadad for offshore. It was quick and painless but it could have been worse if he measured at the beam and I did not have permits...

You were probably stopped by motor carrier they merged with NC highway patrol a few years ago. The troopers were not happy about that. Anyway they have stiff fines because its a civil matter not criminal so they are civil fines and theres no end to some of them

Kenlahr

Reaction score
It was a black SUV that said STATE TROOPER on it and he introcuded himself as trooper xyz. So, I am pritty sure he was a trooper. The legal width for NC is 9 feet 11 inches, so it was a non-issue. I did not know it at travel time, but my permit agent had sent me an email to me telling me that there was no need for NC permits.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I wouldnt go throught the CBBT with a wide boat if you meet an oncoming semi-truck going throught the tubes it might not have a happy ending. Besides it would be like a $20+ toll. Unless it saves you LOTs of time and gas i wouldnt do it.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
CaptKennyW said:
I wouldnt go throught the CBBT with a wide boat if you meet an oncoming semi-truck going throught the tubes it might not have a happy ending. Besides it would be like a $20+ toll. Unless it saves you LOTs of time and gas i wouldnt do it.

I am with you on that one. I always go around. The Tunnel, 50/301 bridge in Annapolis have additional rules/Limitations. Anyone towing a boat over 8.6 should take to time to know ALL of the restrictions along the route. Most states have a 8.6 foot limit.