Been a while

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since I took my Grady out. July 14th to be exact, part of it was a vacation to Florida but that was in July. Missed all of August, had a bad docking experience early season where I almost hit a boat and the wind took me into a upright on the finger. Luckily there wasn’t a boat there. Since then I have been gunshy about going out alone and/or in any conditions that aren’t calm as I get nervous about docking. This is my fifth year with the boat in the same size slip but right now I just keep it at the dock. I know I have to get over it but nerves get the best of me coming in the channel and the dock.

I used to go out in anything that was safe a lot of times alone. But now if my buddy doesn’t want to go I stay in. This includes weekends. Not sure the boat goes in a slip next year. When I add up the cost of the slip and the number of times I have used the boat it makes my head hurt. I still have two and a half months left of the season so maybe things will change. At least I hope.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Stuff happens, chalk it up to boating education. Get back out there and enjoy your boat. Wind plays havoc with the best of us. It's part of it, just adjust and carry on. It's not the best thing but that's why we have rub rails on our boats, take it slow and head back out. If I lived closer I'd be glad to head out with you to get ya back going.

Reactions: Ozz043

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Yep I had kinda a similar situation a few years back when I owned some POS boats that every time I would go out on the Big water I would break down so i got paranoid about going out any more so I sold them then I got a great deal on my Current Grady that I could not pass up but I still was leary about going out so I just took "baby steps" going out on small lakes and dinking around the Harbor then after a few months I felt good enough again to get back in the Game and now I am back out on the Big water and having a great time again and Glad to have a great reliable boat that I can count on AND I make dang sure My boat and me is ready in case that does happen and it probably will because Hey it's a freak'in boat Grady or not :) So just get back in the saddle again and take those baby steps till you are off and running again

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It happens to all boaters, the key is to pick your days and choose days when the wind forecasts are light and variable. I f you are backing into your slip, you may want to consider docking bow first until you are more comfortable with stern first . Even the most seasoned boaters have days at the dock that wish they could forget. Just take it slow and enjoy the boat

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. Sept-Nov are better fishing months were I am in the northeast so I need to brush myself off and get back out there. Stern in is no issue for me as I have done it lots of times so I need to continue that approach or be “that guy who bows in.” Lol.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Been There! I dock in a tight place, extreme tidal current First couple times with the 265 were scary and twice it was "bumpy". Actually, the bumps happened going out of the slip with a ripping current behind me.I let the boat get sideways and had no time to fix my mistake. Hit the piling across from my slip. Still getting used to it but much more at ease now. Key is to have a plan and stick with it.
I back in. Backing in against the tide is easy. When tide is running hard into slip I don't think it is possible to dock without someone else's help on lines. I guess thats the drawback of an Express.

Although, my new next door dockmate is a 28 Pursuit twin inboard express. He reverses in hard til he's inches from crashing into the dock, puts it in fwd gear, leaves the helm, grabs a stern line to a stern cleat, goes back to helm- turns the wheel toward the dock and then walks up to the bow and ties it off. Haven't seen him mess it up yet. Just hope he doesn't crash into me!

Last edited:

Ozz043

Reaction score
I go out solo quite often, I find that I make more mistakes with no wind and crew on board....go figure?
A kid falls of his bike what’s your advice ?
:cool:

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A few years ago, a guy on my dock hit the Gloucester Cut Bridge. The side of his boat was damaged pretty severely and he and his wife were shaken up. A boat in front of him powered down just on the other side thinking only of himself. That passage can be treacherous at times even for the most seasoned boaters. Once you commit, there is no turning back. He pulled his boat early that year not just because he needed repairs, he hinted that they may be done with boating altogether. But, the following spring, they were back none the worse for wear.

Whatever you decide, hope it all works out. Good luck!

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Success, took the Grady out tonight. Good night less than 5mph winds, short ride but got to open up WOT. Docking was slow and easy, backed right in. Felt good to be on the water again and docking was ok. Like someone said I find it easier to dock when alone.

Ready to start fishing again once this heat starts to let up.

Fishtales

Reaction score
When you come in make sure all the enclosure sections are up so you don't have the sail effect....

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Success, took the Grady out tonight. Good night less than 5mph winds, short ride but got to open up WOT. Docking was slow and easy, backed right in. Felt good to be on the water again and docking was ok. Like someone said I find it easier to dock when alone.

Ready to start fishing again once this heat starts to let up.

The fact that things seem to go better when you are alone has to do with not becoming a stern captain when it's time to get serious. I am guilty of the same thing. This day and age, being what some folks call gruff and demanding is actually being a diligent captain. We have all had people on board that are our friends and family and when it's time to dock the boat everyone wants to help and they grab a line and go to the bow and stern on the "dock-to" side. This puts 350-400 pounds on one side and on our small boats that can put quite a list to the hull, making the boat handle very poorly. I have had extra people on board that want to help, that instead of going to the opposite side to offset the list caused by the docking crew, they too go to the same side in an effort to help, the list is magnified and we as captains are mindful of this happening but can't bring ourselves to be assertive in giving orders to folks that are our friends for fear that it will hurt their feelings. We as captains, myself anyway, very much like it when the owner/captain of the boat we are on has a little pow wow with the crew just before docking when there is no time pressure. Everything is layed out about who does what, so there is less chance for confusion. Folks new to the job of docking in less than perfect conditions need to be informed that seconds are important and quick precise action is expected and "Folks we only get one chance to make this pretty" is a good line. How many times have you got that stern corner right at the dock cleat only to have the deck hand fumble around and miss the cleat, starting a downward spiral of events.