Before or After ???

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I am in the process of replacing fuel lines from tank to separator and then to the engine. Currently on my 2 stroke 130 the primer bulb is before the separator. My grady dealer tech says it should be after . (usually visible in the splash well). I googled it and all the threads were pretty much 50/50... Since im going all new it doesnt matter to me. My separator can be changed in minutes so the priming with the bulb is not an issue when changing. What say you ??

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mine is after separator. In the splash well. Don't think it really matters. But if its after separator less chances of stuff getting into the bulb. Crud, water, phase separation, hum bug, etc.... and if its in splash well easier to get to it. Where is it located currently in the boat? and where is separator located?

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This is my opinion based on all of the rigs I've seen and owned.

The bulb goes between the filter and the motor.

If your fuel line is not bundled with the wires and cables, the bulb can be in the motorwell. That does make it exposed to sunlight and fish hooks.

The arrow should point UP toward the motor for best performance of the bulb. That is important to know when positioning the bulb, whether inside or outside.

The bulb position is more important with old carbeurated 2 strokes. An arrow pointing down can cause repeated problems with holding a prime.

The injected 2 strokes and 4 strokes rarely need to be pumped unless the fuel line has been disconnected or the filter has been drained.

Whatever you do, make sure that the fuel line has enough slack for tilting the motor.
Storytime..
One day we we're out in the "new to us 265" and we ran the main tank dry. My brother turned the fuel valve to the other tank, opened the battery hatch, pulled out that damn cracked plastic tub, and reached down and pulled up the bulb and squeezed it (we later learned that we never need to squeeze the bulbs when changing tanks.)
He left the bulb up high where you could see it. We finished out the day and docked and raised the motors. The next time out I lowered the motors and got underway. One motor died in the channel. I looked at the bulb and it had snapped the barb off. Holy $hit!!! It was up high and nothing leaked. the two open ends were just sitting there
...raising the motor snapped it

Last edited:

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It works better after. I have one before on my small boat and those pull better than push.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks for the replies. I will put it in the motor well. I ran the line yesterday from the separator in the rear port seat under the motorwell to starboard and out the hole along the cable sock to the motor. I can cut in the primer bulb. Grady mounted 3 of those plastic hold downs on the transom under the motorwell that I could only feel sticking my arm thru the pie holes. As we have all been thru... what a pain in the ass !!! trying to get a screw driver on it by braille. Next I will attach the new line to the old tank line and pull under deck to the tank. Im glad my boat is small and feel for you big boys

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would install it after for all the reasons listed above