Benefits of Auto Pilot?

Shortround

Reaction score
Could someone enlighten me as to the benefits of having auto pilot other than the obvious - being able to temporaily leave the wheel and still hold course as well as keeping the course as straight as possible. I am not suggesting that these 2 items are not valuable when on the water but is there more that I am not aware of?

I understand that a quality unit is pricey

Thanks,
Shortround

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The two benefits you mentioned are basically the reason I like them so much. It makes those four hour canyon runs a lot less stressful. It allows me to leader a fish while my son works the rod when it is just the two of us. Once I finally read and understand the owners manual, I will use the autopilot to troll the dropoffs (it will follow the contours I think), have the boat automatically zig zag when high speed trolling, etc.

I have been boating since a child and my boat is the third boat I have driven that has autopilot. Most likely I will never own an offshore capable boat again without adding autopilot. It is like having a limousine driver when you leave the dock.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recommend Simrad. The new AP24 looks very cool with trolling patterns built in. There are many advantages to having an AP. I echo the sentiments that once you have one you will NEVER be without. For even 10 miles runs, the AP lets you focus on watching for traffic and nasty waves rather then constantly comparing your heading to the GPS.

For trolling it allows 2 people to work the cockpit with only a frequent glance if there are any boats nearby.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree...I will never be without an AP. Its a pleasure after breaking the inlet engaging the AP on that 80-100 mile run to the canyon and just sitting back and enjoying the ride. Not to mention there is no way you can keep the boat on that line for that long and not be exhausted by the time you arrive.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
All of the above. We couldn't make our offshore runs without it, and trolling with just two of us as well.

Renovator

Reaction score
They say the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line so I would think fuel burn would be improved some as well, especially on long runs.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am adding an autopilot in about 2 weeks, for me it is much needed. An AP is a huge benefit if you run long distances or troll a bit. I run 80-120nm one way for tuna, being at the wheel without one is a workout and basically unsafe unless you let others switch off...problem is others don't run the boat as meticulously as you do and could put you off course. It is typical to see anywhere from a 5-10% savings in fuel for long runs, I plan to save roughly 15 gal a trip with my added ap. This will save some cash since you stay on track without wandering. In rough seas or reduced visability it helps you keep your eyes off the gps all the time and you can monitor the radar and peer forward for increased safety. For long runs it allows the captain to sit and relax and only periodically check that your on course, but when running always have someone at the helm, just as a look out!! When trolling, it allows you to have an extra hand in the cockpit if needed, or if you fish along. It also allows you to troll patterns along contour edges or temp breaks if you set the course along it. You can stay along a channel or drop off much easier then if you manually did it. A good autopilot will also counteract wind and current and keep you on course or alter course to get you there. Cheaper autopilots like the Raymarine S1000 are basic but in rough seas can be jerky since they do not include a gyro or rudder ref, and they will not hold a course well at speeds below 5mph since they update position from your gps not its own course computer. Better units cost more but offer more. The best units out there are Simrad's, the AP series are great quality. Furuno and Sitex make decent units, and Raymarine had a variaty to suit all your needs. Raymarine S1 and S1G units are being discontinued and can be bought cheap, I'm going with the S1G for my 265 Express, got a quote of 1500 for the package. Without the gyro it is about $300 cheaper, but won;t be as accurate in rougher seas. The S1000 is more for twins under 150 or for singles and more for inshore and calmer water use and runs about $800 now if you can get a boat show price. The Simrad's are $2300-3000 and Furuno and Sitex are just over $2000. If I had deep enough pockets I'd go for the Simrad, but I have a budget and the Raymarine suits me well.

If you boat where you troll alone a bit or run good distances, even 10-15miles where it is in somewhat open waters, an AP is well worth the money. It will keep you more alert on the water when underway which leans to better safety if used properly.

catch22

Reaction score
Shortround said:
How do AP's deal with obstacles? Here in the upper Chesapeake Bay there are tons of crab buoys

They don't. :D

That's why you still have to maintain a sharp eye. Most, (if not all) ap's have a "dodge" or "steer" feature. You simply press a "left" or "right' button, which will turn a few degrees, or more, (depending on how long you press down). Once your past the obsticle, some ap's will resume course automatically. In a worse case scenario, you disengage the ap and steer manually.

Typical features are "auto" mode... the ap will simply follow the current heading your on. It's done with a flux gate compass, (part of the ap package). "Track" mode... uses your gps and follows a course to your waypoint.

For what it's worth... if your boat is 25' or less, with single ram steering, the Raymarine S1000 is hard to beat. No fluxgate compass, no rudder feed back. Pump, control head, (black box) and a remote control.... that's it. It works strickly off your gps. Uses the "cog', (course over ground) to do everything. Pretty easy to install, especially when comaperd to other models. I installed one on a friends boat in 07, (22 Seafarer) and it works great. Even has built in trolling patterns. Not bad for less than $1k. :D

I agree with the above posts too. Once you have one, you'll wonder how you did without it. Takes a lot of stress out of a days boating.

mtcfish

Reaction score
Never eats your food or drinks your drinks...

If you hook up into a tuna you leave it in gear and clear your lines...

Best deckhand on the boat

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
An autopilot does not have eyes, it only does what you tell it to do. You ALWAYS need a lookout when running, someone who knows how to operate the AP, they are very simple to run. If you see an object, some autopilots disengage and go into standy by mode if you turn the wheel, this allows you to steer around them. Some have a dodge mode where it will make a slight arch and will go around it and then get you back on course, but you need to tell it to do so soon enough, it cannot think for you or see whats ahead, only you can. The other option is to alter your course, you will have a waypoint saved and this is where it heads, but you can manually go off course and then get back on it by adjusting your heading angle using the siplay, some have knobs which allow you to turn easily, but turn it too quick and some do not update as quick as you turn it and it will only go a few degrees, a steady turn might be better for big angle adjustments, all depends on the machine and how good it is. Most autopilots have buttons to change your heading 1 and 10 degress, you can tap the 10 degree button a few times as needed and then get back on course after your by the pot. Honestly though, it would be more of a hassle to run an autopilot in these conditions, they are more for open water or for passages without many obstacles where you can run from set point to set point without a problem. If the crab pots are in certain areas, you can avoid them, that would help, and you can set way points around them if you know where they typically are, an autopilot can go from point to point often, it all depends on how "smart" of a machine you buy. By no means should you ever be running at a cruise speed without someone at the helm...if you hit something or someone, your liable. A few years back a Viking ran over a 20 or 22 Grady off NJ. Nobody was at the helm and they were in fog, they guys on the Grady never had a chance. The Viking owner blamed Viking and said he never knew, he had experience and knew better, just was not a responsible guy and thought he was above the law and nothing would ever go wrong. I think all the guys on the Grady died. The owner of the boat that hit them had big fines and spent time in jail, it was his fault not anyone else's. Always watch the water when your running, even a teenger can do it, atleast they can yell and tell you something is in the way and slow the boat up or if you show them how to go into standyby they can hit just 1 button and steer away.

jfmagana

Reaction score
I don't even know where to start in answering your question, but let me say that I can't imagine owning a boat without an autopilot! :D Initially I was very, very skeptical/hesitant to buy an AP....after all, they're a very big investment and I could argue that they really aren't essential. So when I finally made the decision to spend the money, I was kinda nervous that perhaps I was buying yet another toy that I would never use....BOY WAS I WRONG!!! I use my AP all the time. Here are some of it's key selling points:

1. Unlike my friends, it can hold a course perfectly, it never gets tired and it doesn't complain.

2. It saves me fuel. I can plot the most direct course and it sticks to it with amazing accuracy and precision.

3. Even though most of the time I'm still at the helm (i.e., ready and waiting to disengage the AP and manually pilot if I encounter an obstacle), I find it does 98% of the work and I arrive at the fishing grounds much more relaxed and ready to fish than if I'm manually piloting all the way.

4. It's in dispensable for solo fishing. For example, sometimes when I'm fishing for salmon, I'll engage the AP with one key stroke to go into a large, slow circular pattern when I hook a fish. I also use the myriad of pre-programmed patterns such as zig-zag, concentric circles, s-curves, etc. when fishing tuna as I find that often tuna hit when you change direction (i.e., rather than going in a straight line). Yeah, I can do this manually, but doing that for hours on end is painfully monotonous...this way, the AP does the work while I eat a sandwich and wait for the reels to start screaming.

5. I've programed routes for the best approach and departure from my harbor. Sometimes when the fog is super thick and visibility goes to nearly zero, I turn on the radar and my AP and drop my speed to a slow putt-putt....that way I can focus on looking for boats that may be on a collision path with me in a more relaxed manner (i.e., I only have to worry about one thing). N.B., it only takes one quick push of a button to disengage the AP and then I can take the helm in a nanosecond to make whatever safety maneuver necessary.

I could go on and on, but my advice is simple: JUST DO IT! Do get a quality unit: Simrad, Furuno, etc.. If you're reasonable mechanically and electrically inclined, you can install it yourself, but if you're at all unsure, pay a professional...money well spent.

freddy063

Reaction score
My wife drives the best when the auto-helm is on. She can keep a better look out. :lol:

gulfcart

Reaction score
I have the TR-1 on my 33...I had it on my last boat also...Now Garmin distributes it. I wouldn't have a boat without it. The TR might be a little pricey but it performs great for me. It has a valve system so if you come up on something you just turn the wheel and it overrides the auto pilot. Depending how far you turn it, when you let go it goes back on course or kicks out.

Everything they said above is true..

tilewave

Reaction score
my last boat had ap. found it most useful for trolling,especially getting lines out with only 2 guys. i personally do not like it because i think it can give you a false sense of security. or the opportunity to fall asleep at the wheel.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
"1. Unlike my friends, it can hold a course perfectly, it never gets tired and it doesn't complain."
well said john.

I was on the fence about the autopilot for a while. Now I can say I love my autopilot. It frees up my hands while operating the boat. On the way out in the morning I actually get to drink my coffee and eat my sandwich. For longer trips its nice to just sit back and let her cruise. I have the simrad ap16, I basically switch it to manual it needed to avoid something.