Bennet Tab Problem

MDRookie01

Reaction score
Well I got everything up and running on my new Grady 228.. (new to me :)) except for the bennet trim tabs

I got power at the switches and can hear a clicking at the actuator for no tab movement.. Any ideas? Tabs were installed in 05 and never really used (as the whole boat wasnt used since 05).. Check most of the wiring and all looks good.. Any ideas guys? thanks!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Go to THT and get in contact with "TABMAN", he's the rep or something like that, ask him any questions you have, he'll be more than happy to help you.

seasick

Reaction score
Are we sure we are talking about Benetts? Those are hydraulic. Lencos are electrical actuators.
Trouble shooting is completely different for the two varieties

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bennet Tabs

Go online to Bennet.
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/pdf/trobIcon/trimtab_troubleshooting.pdf

Check for fluid.

The pump has a motor and two solonoids. The clicking you hear is the solonoids. The motor should be running as well. Probably stuck or bad motor in the pump.

Check for power measured to ground (negative) on the switch as follows:

Operation Reaction
Orange ( + ), blue, red Port trim tab down
Orange ( + ), blue, green Starboard trim tab down
Orange ( + ), blue, red, green Both trim tabs down
Orange ( + ), yellow, red Port trim tab up
Orange ( + ), yellow, green Starboard trim tab up
Orange ( + ), yellow, red, green Both trim tabs up

catch22

Reaction score
Agree with hookup1... if your wiring, (all connections) and the switch itself checks out, probably a bad pump.

First connection I would go after is the ground, (black wire from pump assy). Also, if using an inline fuse, (which is provided) I'd eliminate it and connect directly to your boats fuse or circuit breaker panel, (if you have a spare). A poor connection in either + or ground will starve the motor. You might get a solonoid to click, but not enough to run the pump/motor. I've seen a lose fuse cause exactly what you describe.

If it turns out to be the pump, give Bennett a call. Imo, they are awesome when it comes to customer service. I don't want to make any assumptions, but give them a call and I'll bet they take very good care of you.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/contactus.php

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If he hears the clicking, it's most likely out of fluid or the pump is shot.

seasick

Reaction score
Grog said:
If he hears the clicking, it's most likely out of fluid or the pump is shot.
perhaps but other causes could be a bad connection between the solenoid and the motor, a bad solenoid, a bad motor or a frozen motor.
Assuming there is oil in the reservoir, try rapping the pump with a hammer to see if you get any signs of life. Have someone hold press the tab switch while you rap the motor.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Possible bad switch (cheapest solution). The red and green wires open the port and starboard solenoids. The blue and yellow wires power the pump (the pump either pushed fluid to the tab or sucks fluid from the tab). The clicking is most likely the solenoid. If the pump needs a rap to get started, don't use it. The last thing you need are the tabs to be out of alignment.

seasick

Reaction score
Grog said:
Possible bad switch (cheapest solution). The red and green wires open the port and starboard solenoids. The blue and yellow wires power the pump (the pump either pushed fluid to the tab or sucks fluid from the tab). The clicking is most likely the solenoid. If the pump needs a rap to get started, don't use it. The last thing you need are the tabs to be out of alignment.

I have had pumps work for several seasons after getting a 'rap'. Sometimes the commutator in the pump gets oxidised and doesn't make good contact or a brush gets stuck. Once it spins though, it cleans itself up.
Now if a contact is dirty on a relay, say a solenoid for example, my experience is that you can clean it up but it usually fails later on.