Bennett "auto" trim tabs

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Was sorry to hear about Tom McGow a very kind and helpful man. I will continue to support his products with a possible upgrade to my tabs.
I have the manual hydraulic Bennet trim tabs, considering going to the auto tabs. Has anyone installed the auto refit to the existing manual tabs. Could you give me an idea of the cost, and your thoughts on their performance? From the installation instructions it does not look to difficult to install. Nor sure what is included but it does appear one can use existing tabs with a new controller. Look forward. Thanks, trapper :questionicon:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have not used the auto tabs but I don't think I would want them. They really are simple to use and everything "auto" seems to break at some point and then you have to use them in manual mode. The only problem is since you never do, you have no idea how to use. I'll stick with manual ones. Just my 2 pennies.

Reactions: Ozz043

Walt

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Had the Bennett auto trim on my 28 Bertram, never had a problem with them in the 15 years they were on the boat.They were the older style,liked them enough to plan on installing the M-120-ATP on my new to me 2007 Adventure 208

Fishtales

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I didn't realize you could upgrade existing so easily. I thought it was a rip and replace. Not a bad upgrade.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I never put the ATC on any of my boats... I refuse to admit I need a computer to do something as simple as tab control for me! But I know enough friends/aquantinces that have it (and love it) - and have used it for a LONG enough time to say that it seems just as reliable as the actual hydraulic unit... which we all know is pretty much bullet proof. Many years ago I helped someone install an ATC - I don't recall all the ins-n-outs of it, but I do remember it being as straight forward as the directions say.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I tend to agree, but I have had times with the kids and friends that are not normally boaters on cruises and many are constantly moving around. Not a problem when the crowd is small, but get a bunch doing it and I'm adjusting them a lot. Would be nice to have it done for me or if someone else is at the helm. It is a bit expensive for the gain but the installation looks very straightforward.

JRR

Reaction score
The ATC is awesome. Constantly adjusts to any changes. The people at Bennett are awesome. Not difficult to install. You won’t know how you boated without it.