Bennett M120 trim tabs installation.

sal353

Reaction score
I'm would like to purchase the above trim tabs for my 1999 Grady White 208, my question is was finding a place to mount the hydraulic pump and issue having a 2 stroke engine with oil tanks? And what is average price for installation? I'm located in Central NJ boat will be moored in Waretown. Any reputable installers near me that someone can recommend? Thanks in advance for help.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The hydraulic unit is pretty small and can be mounted in a few different places, such as the transom or a stringer - or even fabbing a new mount to hold it. You can probably download the installation menu from Bennett's website for more info. But roughly, the unit is an 8" box (a little narrower, though). Use that "approximate" measurement and build yourself a cardboard box and see where it fits best.

From the ones I've installed in the past, it is roughly a 4 - 5 hour job. Longer if you haven't done it before. It's not particularly hard, but you need to make sure whoever does it is versed in (marine) electrical work and the drilling/installation of gear below the waterline... both to avoid gelcoat cracking and proper sealing.

seasick

Reaction score
sal353 said:
I'm would like to purchase the above trim tabs for my 1999 Grady White 208, my question is was finding a place to mount the hydraulic pump and issue having a 2 stroke engine with oil tanks? And what is average price for installation? I'm located in Central NJ boat will be moored in Waretown. Any reputable installers near me that someone can recommend? Thanks in advance for help.
Grady on current models mounts the pump under the helm accessed from the cabin. There isn't a lot of space for it aft since you have batteries starboard and oil tank port. You probably also have pumps in the center of the bills and besides, that spot is not easy to get to.
So the advice is forward of the helm, on the starboard side. To do this you need longer hydraulic lines, Bennett will exchange the regular size for the longer lines. You will also need to run power there but there should be ample service at the fuse panel.
Note that in some cases, you may need the shorter tab cylinders because of the swim platform. Bennett wil send you a drawing with the clearances needed.
Good luck

sal353

Reaction score
thanks for the information, I'm going to reach out to a few local Marine repair places near me.

seasick

Reaction score
sal353 said:
thanks for the information, I'm going to reach out to a few local Marine repair places near me.
If I remember correctly, the pump is actually mounted in the starboard locker that is in the cabin next to the helm bulkhead. The reason for not mounting it in the bilge is that the pump prefers not to get wet and on the 208, both aft lockers and the center area can get wet.
Although Grady prefers hydraulic tabs as do I, installing electric tabs like Lenco can be a lot simpler. With a forward mounted pump, you may have to run new power feeds from the battery switch to the relay if you don't have the capacity at the helm in addition to the hydraulic tubes.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wonder about the "getting wet" thing? I'm relatively new to the Grady line of boats, but the hydraulic unit is mounted there in my '82 Offshore and it's still going strong. I can't say if it's the original, but I know that it's close to 20 years old as the prior owner had the boat that long and never changed it. Also, it's ALWAYS mounted in the bilge on boats like Sea Ray's, Chaparrals, etc, etc (whose bilges get wet, too). And I see A LOT of those kinds of boats were I work. Now, if the area in this Grady is prone to having water dripping directly onto the motor, then that certainly makes perfect sense. That being said, it's never a bad idea to have things in drier locations, but I just wonder if it's really worth all the extra effort to do that, given how long-lasting these motors are in many, many other bilges?

Tabman

Reaction score
seasick said:
sal353 said:
If I remember correctly, the pump is actually mounted in the starboard locker that is in the cabin next to the helm bulkhead. The reason for not mounting it in the bilge is that the pump prefers not to get wet and on the 208, both aft lockers and the center area can get wet.
Although Grady prefers hydraulic tabs as do I, installing electric tabs like Lenco can be a lot simpler. With a forward mounted pump, you may have to run new power feeds from the battery switch to the relay if you don't have the capacity at the helm in addition to the hydraulic tubes.

Bennett also makes electric Trim Tabs nowadays. More info here Bennett BOLT Electric Trim Tabs http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/bolt/

If the boat is kept in saltwater hydraulic systems can be preferable. But the actuators on both our electric and hydraulic systems have a lifetime warranty.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

seasick

Reaction score
Tabman said:
seasick said:
sal353 said:

Bennett also makes electric Trim Tabs nowadays. More info here Bennett BOLT Electric Trim Tabs http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/bolt/

If the boat is kept in saltwater hydraulic systems can be preferable. But the actuators on both our electric and hydraulic systems have a lifetime warranty.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
Tabman,
Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope your are well.

I wasn't aware of electirc tabs and will take a look at your product line.
It's comforting to know that you are still watching the boards.
Best regards,
Seasick

ric2352

Reaction score
Here is where I put it. Port side transom compartment. Stays mostly dry....no problem. Didn't get the position indicator......had constant problems with the tiny pin connectors and corrosion on the last boat. Mounted a starboard like plate first to mount the pump on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2,024

Tabman

Reaction score
Tabman,
Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope your are well.

I wasn't aware of electirc tabs and will take a look at your product line.
It's comforting to know that you are still watching the boards.
Best regards,
Seasick

Thanks Seasick!

I am well and still cruising the boards!

I really like our new electric system, but the M120 is still one of my favorites. The HPU (pump) should be mounted in an area that does not get really wet, some moisture is OK. I had a set of the M120s on my old Aquasport 20 foot walkaround and loved them. They do use shorter actuators (something you can do with hydraulic systems) so they fit under my swim platform. Their "batwing" shape makes a little more lift so you can get away with a slightly smaller size (10"x12") on the transom and usually not have to move transducers or speedo pickups.

No matter what you go with we will always be delighted to help! My direct e-mail is Tabmanhelp@gmail.com if you ever need me quickly.

Tom
Bennett Marine