Bennett M120's

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anybody installed these on an older Overnighter.

Got Santa to hook me up, now that package is open couple of questions have come up.

Was planning on mounting the pump on the bulkhead in the cabin storage compartment below the helm.

No bracket provided for mounting pump and the hyd. lines provided will never reach the actuators.

Anybody done this?

Figured to contact Bennett on monday.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
The pump on my previous grady was mounted in the storage space under the bunk and directly fwd. of the bulkhead. I replaced that pump with a new one but I can't remember for sure how it was mounted. It seems like it was screwed to the stringer and had rubber grommets on the screws with 5200 on the screw holes.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
rain, that sounds like the location I have in mind but I can't see that cheesy little piece of plastic that they provided holding that pump securely on a boat like this that pounds like it does.

catch22

Reaction score
Go here - http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=78 and click "video", (grey box on right) for installation instructions.

Discussion about the bracket starts around 5 minutes and 30 seconds into the video. And yes... that's the only thing that's used to hold the pump. I've had plenty of Bennett tabs and never had an issue with the bracket. Just mount the bracket, but leave the screws a little loose. Slide the pump onto the bracket and tighten the screws, (don't over-tighten).

If it were me, I would try and find a place in the bilge area, (on the transom, a bulk head or a brace) to mount the pump, (that's what I did on a few Grady's). That way, you'll only use about 4 - 6 feet of line, (per actuator). As long as there's enough room to mount it and service it, (which is rare). Just try to keep it as high as possible. They do recomend a dry location, but again... I've never had a problem with them in the bilge area.

If you decide to install it up front, contact Bennett, (as you said) about the longer hydraulic lines. They might offer to send you additional line, or they'll tell you were to buy it.

Also... follow their tip about filling the unit before mounting it. It's awkward trying to add fluid once the unit is below deck. There'a a "full" mark on the side of the unit.... go a little higher when first filling it. The level will drop once you run the tabs up and down, (bleed). They use any brand/type of automatic transmission fluid.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bennit Bracket

I have owned three Bennet trim tab systems and all used the same bracket. Never had a problem.

Where ever you mount the pump, make sure you have enough hyd. hose and electrical line so that you can loosen the bracket and lift the pump to an area that you can fill and service it.