Bennett Trim Tab Size

Reaction score
I am considering putting trim tabs on my boat this year. Does anyone have a recommedations on what size to purchase. I have a 1996 208 Adventure with a Yamaha 200 Saltwater Series. Thanks

fishhrd

Reaction score
Bennett M120's. I installed them on a 96 209 and they worked great. That is what Bennett had suggested when I contacted them.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
cdwood and I also got the M120's this year for our overnighters. I have not put mine on yet. but will be doing them in April.

But now, someone "my brother" is telling me iI am going to lose allot of fish to line cuts on those tabs. I told em at least it will be a comfortable disappointing fishless ride home....

M120's will be fine.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
the VOLVO tabs are not tabs!!!

trim tabs will make a 20Ft boat feel like a 25Ft boat in the right conditions

The volvo tans just put a fin vertical is the water, making more dragg!!!

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Volvo Penta QL Tabs

Had them on my 204 for years. Worked well. Never a problem.

LastOne

Reaction score
Thanks, Off Duty. I have a 204 and appreciate the info.
Just -In-Time should check his hydrodnyamic theory. Just as in aerodynamics theory any control surface i.e.ailerons, elevators,rudders spoilers and airbrakes, like trimtabs, will cause drag; some more than others. The Volvo tabs, and yes they are by definition tabs, create more lift with lower deflection than conventional tabs; less deflection= lower drag. Most Grady dealer reps I've met at shows don't even know about them. Why? Because it is not a conventional product and most of these folks are "traditionalists" (and dealers for the other products).
I've wanted to put a set on my 204 but in the spring I'm always too eager to get back on the 'wet' again. I'm often the only one on the boat and hate "flying one wing low' and having to steer to correct. (And yes, I'm a pilot).

B-Faithful

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
the VOLVO tabs are not tabs!!!

trim tabs will make a 20Ft boat feel like a 25Ft boat in the right conditions

The volvo tans just put a fin vertical is the water, making more dragg!!!

Volvo QLs are LESS drag in the water than a traditional tab as there is less surface area being drug through the water. The QLs use a mere lip that deflects the water to adjust the run angle of the boat. I have owned Bennett tabs and volvo QLs. The volvos are much faster and responsive than the bennetts. The also have trim indicators and auto retract. I have used my Volvo QLs on my boat for over 350 motor hours now and would choose them again given the choice of any brand.

My father has Bennetts on the same hull as me and they do seem to work slightly better at slower speeds of less than ~18knots. However when on plane and running the volvos are much more responsive.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
I have ridden on a proline 28 with bennttes and Volvo, at my old dealer

Volvo were more responsive

but the bennetts let me adjust better in the slop, and it did not slow me down

Plus when slow trolling you can put the tabs all the way down and they will slow down the troll and keep you more stable

Volvo does the same but not as stable

LastOne

Reaction score
Thanks to Just-In-Time and B-Faithful. The lack of effect at slow or troll is good to know and makes sense to me. It probably won't affect my plan to install the QLs since I'm more concerned with running efficiently on plane down Barnegat Bay than at slow/troll. Despite the fact that I own a Grady, we use it more as a day cruiser/Sport utility boat than a fishing boat. I'm not big on fishing; I hate to clean them and the "First Mate" isn't volunteering. It has also been the cheapest room in Atlantic City a couple of times.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LastOne said:
Thanks to Just-In-Time and B-Faithful. The lack of effect at slow or troll is good to know and makes sense to me. It probably won't affect my plan to install the QLs since I'm more concerned with running efficiently on plane down Barnegat Bay than at slow/troll. Despite the fact that I own a Grady, we use it more as a day cruiser/Sport utility boat than a fishing boat. I'm not big on fishing; I hate to clean them and the "First Mate" isn't volunteering. It has also been the cheapest room in Atlantic City a couple of times.

sleeping in the cabin of a 204... ouch, man. Tried that once. You will need tabs to smooth out that ride, your back will thank you after a night sleeping in there.

Just curios, how long does it take you to get to AC via water from Toms River?

LastOne

Reaction score
Takes us a little over three hours ICW. We are all the way at the north end of the bay, on the Metedeconk. The stretch behind Beach Haven was the biggest time buster, esp in Aug. If the weather and seas had been a little nicer would've gone out Barnegat Inlet and back in Absecon. BTW, don't need tabs when your're in a slip at Farley (neither of us are really tall); and, the tables are right across the street at Trump Marina + jitney stop to hop to the B'walk.