Bennett Trim Tabs

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It takes a long time. I've never timed it, but the pump runs for at least 30 sec after I shut down.

seasick

Reaction score
It takes a long time. I've never timed it, but the pump runs for at least 30 sec after I shut down.
The time also varies depending on how far the tabs were extended of course.
If you want to see if something is amiss, with the motors idling in neutral ,extend the tabs all the way down and then time how long it takes for them to raise all the way. That time should be about the same as the time to autoretract in the worst case. If your auto retract times is significantly longer, I would suspect excessive voltage drop. The voltage at the battery is higher when the motors are running and the tab pump probably runs a bit faster.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you physically looking at the tabs as they retract, or just listening to the sound of the motor? I believe the motor continues for a bit, even after the tabs are actually retracted. The retraction time is simply a "timed event" - there is no way for it to know if/when the tabs are physically retracted.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The retraction time is simply a "timed event"

That is my understanding as well. On mine, it doesn't make any difference how far the tabs were trimmed down or if only one is down.

Reactions: mmiela

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The retraction time is simply a "timed event"

That is my understanding as well. On mine, it doesn't make any difference how far the tabs were trimmed down or if only one is down.

X2
This has been my experience/understanding also.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm sure the tabman will set the record.

Tabman

Reaction score
It is indeed a "timed event". No mater if the Tabs are all the way down, or all the way up the system will run will run about that long to insure they are fully retracted.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Reactions: Zebulon

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It is indeed a "timed event". No mater if the Tabs are all the way down, or all the way up the system will run will run about that long to insure they are fully retracted.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Thank you Tom! As always, great to have you around!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
You are right, spoke to Bennett today . The pump location has a lot to do with retraction time . In 307 pump is located behing helm , creating longer distance for hydraulics to travel .

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not that smart, but I think those hydraulic lines stay full in both directions, all the time, like a brake line. So the fluid doesn't travel from the helm to the tab, every time you move the control. The pump moves X amount of fluid into one end of the line, and the tab moves a corresponding distance at the other end.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree that if the lines stay full, there shouldn't be much, if any, delay. The only delay should be from whatever/how much the fluid compresses over the length of the line... which would be extremely little. HOWEVER, I have physically noticed that the lines will, indeed, get an air gap in them once the pump runs after fully contracting the rams. Not gonna try and explain the "why" - just noting the "what". Maybe some type of bypass valve?