Best Anchor for a 330 Express

HMBJack

Reaction score
Greetings,

I believe my 2006 330 Express has a 22 lb. Lewmar Delta anchor. Looks great under the bow pulpit but I noticed it slipping alot over the weekend in 20-40' water (muddy bottom) with my 60' of 5/16th chain. I was not happy with it's lack of "grab". The Lewmar seems a bit under sized for this boat.

Curious what other 330 Owners use for their anchor - in particular on a soft mud bottom. Considering an upgrade - maybe to a Manson Supreme 35 lb. anchor but I'm not sure if it would fit under the bow pulpit (has that roll bar ring on it). Any true anchoring experiences would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...

devildogdad

Reaction score
unless my math is wrong you are AT BEST 3 to 1 scope and AT WORST 1 1/2 to 1. Ideally 7 to 1 but you should be able to use 5 to 1. Add scope not a bigger anchor.

HMBJack

Reaction score
To clarify - I had 60 feet of chain + another 60 feet (approx.) of rode in the water. That makes for 120 feet in 20-30 feet of water. Thinking about this some more - perhaps I didn't have enough rode out (maybe 50-60 feet more rode would have made the difference). Thanks,

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 330 and find the Lewmar Delta to be good under most conditions. I'm new to that type anchor also, always had Danforths and grapnels (for rocks). I'm surprised it didn't work well in mud, but it doesn't have the swiveling shank like the CQRs do which may have made a difference. I know Danforths sure work good in a variety of conditions, but don't accept a "Danforth-like" design. They often differ just enough to make them not work very well. It seems to me the relatively sharper points on a Danforth would work better in harder sand bottoms and grass than the delta type anchor. Chapman's has a pretty good discussion on anchor types. I'm actually looking for a Danforth as a backup for my 330. Probably get a 22# whcih should be fine with the right bottom. So far the Lemar has worked OK, but not a lot of expeience with it yet. A lot of experience with other smaller and larger boats with the Danforths. I think the weight is not nearly as important as the type and scope. Heavy chain makes a big difference. 60' of chain should be plenty though, but nothing makes up for a lot of scope. An all chain rode is ideal, but can be rough on smaller boats like ours. I hope we get some other opinions as I'm in the market for a back up now too.

lgusto

Reaction score
I am a fellow boater who thinks anchoring deserves much more thought than just "throwing the hook".

All the science and practical experience I'll ever need to know about anchoring was in "The Complete Anchoring Handbook" by Alain Poiraud. Many factors go into staying put on any bottom in any weather, including seabed characteristics, wind, waves, currents, etc. and this book covers them all in amazing detail. One of the most important details is that the anchor is just the "hook" that keeps your chain from sliding across the bottom, so weight is not the most important factor. It's more important to choose the type of anchor that will hook in to the seabed you most frequently encounter.

The book also explains that simple overkill isn't the right answer (why not 50' of 5/8" chain? why not 100'?) because there's a cost to everything. For example, what will unnecessarily hauling 150 pounds of chain do to your windlass over time? And reducing line in favor of chain reduces shock absorption and catenary, properties that are critical to protecting a boat's pulpit and hardware.

Please let us know what you try and the results of each effort.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Larry and Bill (above) - Thanks and yes I concur. I am not a junior newbie to all of this and understand completely how important ground tackle is. My most common anchorage is in mud.

I like the combination of heavy 5/16th chain, 2X the length of my boat, coupled with healthy three strand nylon for shock absorption. I do not like the design of the Lewmar Delta anchor since it has a tendency to slide along the sea bottom sideways. The improved design of the Rocna and lesser priced (but just as good?) Manson Supreme anchor - with the roll bar - eliminates "slide". The roll bar turns the anchor shovel "down" into the sea bottom. I like that. Last Saturday, on San Francisco Bay, I was in a tight cove and the slide of the Lewmar Delta was not comforting. Thinking about it - it's possible I lacked a bit of scope but with 60' of chain + 60' of rode in 30'-40' of water - the Lewmar should have dug in. I never felt comfortable with it. I did a power set (boat in reverse) and I never stopped. The Lewmar slid and slid. Eventually it held but I didn't fell good about it.

What I'm really interested in is who out there, with a 330, has a 35 pound Manson Supreme or Rocna and, importantly, how does it fit under your bow spree?

Thanks,
Jack

divediva

Reaction score
Jack,

did you go with the Manson Supreme? Curious how it fits in the pulpit.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I went out and purchased a 33# "Claw" Anchor. With only 12' of chain I have never had it not grab the first time. These anchors are great in almost any bottom condition. Plus you are not over paying for some fancy overpriced anchor. I sold my Lewmar Delta used for a whole lot more than the 33# Claw cost me.

dduflo

Reaction score
There is a big difference between Danforth shaped anchors and the true Danforth Hi-Tinsel ones. Light for their size and thin so the harder you pull the deeper they go. Works very well for me in a weedy mud bottom. The down side is that when they come up full of seaweed they are a pain to clean. The reason that those "fancy high priced" ones are so expensive is that they are made of hi-tensel steel to a specific design and they really work well.

divediva

Reaction score
Anchor Selection for the GW 330 Express (yr. 2006), I am unable to upload the images referenced in my summary. PM me if you would like to see any.

We have had our 2006 GW 330 Express for 6 months. We had not been satisfied with the Delta 22lb Fast Set anchor. We live in Southeast Florida and anchor in sand primarily and the plow dragged too much for us to feel comfortable spending the night at anchor somewhere and didn't set quickly. We began the research for a new anchor. Our research of various independent holding power tests gave us a shortlist with Rocna, Manson Boss, and Manson Supreme. The Manson and Rocna are considered new generation anchors, and are rated at super high holding power per our research. For good measure, we also included a 35 lb. Delta plow and an original 33 lb. Bruce claw made in Belgium in our comparison.

The question would be which one will fit our bow pulpit and anchor roller?

We bought all the anchors from three different West Marine stores to test them on our boat. Here is a photo of all the anchors, Left to Right. Rocna 15(35lb), Rocna 10 (22lb), Manson Boss 25lb, Manson Boss 15lb, Manson Supreme 25lb, Manson Supreme 15lb, Delta 22lb, Delta 35lb. The entire group of anchors compared (excluding the 33lb Bruce claw)

Our final choice was the Rocna 10, (22lb). We also changed the chain length to 36ft vs the standard 15ft that came with the boat. Below is a summary of each of the anchors that fit on the boat without any modifications.
The four that fit, L to R, Delta 22, Delta 35, Manson Supreme 15, Rocna 10.

Summary
1. Rocna 10 (22lb), we chose the Rocna 10. It fits excellent in the pulpit and on top of the roller. At 22lbs it is the proper sized anchor for the size of boat, and it is a new generation anchor with higher tested holding power than the Delta plow and Bruce claw. The roll bar will put the anchor in the proper position if dropped on its back. We like how the scoop of the anchor makes contact with the blades of the bow pulpit for stabilization. The shank also has clearance inside the pulpit box without touching. We used it this weekend in Lake Boca and it set quickly and held strong while backing down on it in reverse. We will have better test soon when we travel to the Bahamas and the Keys to anchor overnight.

2. Rocna 15 (35lb), does not fit well. The scoop of the anchor does not rest on the blades of the pulpit for stability and the anchor's role bar rubs on the gel coat fiberglass part of the front of the pulpit.

3. Manson Boss 15lb, does not fit well. The scoop of the anchor does not rest on the blades of the pulpit for stability. It does not rub on the pulpit box , but instead holds on the roller based on a curved section of the shank. It is also not the proper sized anchor for the size of boat.

4. Manson Boss 25lb, does not fit. The scoop of the anchor does not rest on the blades of the pulpit for stability and the anchor's shank wedges inside the pulpit box between the roller and the forward section of the box. We didn't feel comfortable with this fit. Due to the wedging the anchor would not drop by itself using the windless. The Anchor stuck in the roller area.

5. Delta 22, fits excellent in pulpit. It is the recommended anchor from Grady White. Most GW 33 Express owners selected this anchor. No images since this is the standard anchor the GW 330 Express uses.

6. Delta 35 fits well in pulpit, and is the MAX weight recommended by GW at 35lbs. Would be an upgrade over the 22lb Delta.

7. Manson Supreme 15lb, fits but is not the proper size anchor for the size of boat according to the Manson website. You can see the blades of the pulpit barely make contact with the scoop of the anchor.

8. Manson Supreme 25lb, does not fit, the roll bar hits under the bow pulpit. No images but fits similar to the Rocna 15.

9. Bruce 33, Genuine from Belgium - does not fit, the shank is too tall and wedges itself against the top of the anchor pulpit box. We had this anchor on hand, so decided to try it.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Due to the soft mud in San Francisco Bay, I went with an oversized (for my boat) Fortress danforth style anchor (model FX-23) matched with 60 feet of heavy chain. Have been extremely satisfied with it.

Just need to drop it slowly when deploying it as it is light weight and can foul on the way down.
But once it digs into the mud, it's going to China!

Thanks for all of your advice!