Best battery tender for the winter?

grady_mike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First year with the Grady and it's been great! I'm in the northeast and getting ready to pull the boat for the winter. I'm going to remove the batteries and bring them home. What is everyone's favorite? The bateries will be in a conditioned part of my house that nobody lives in and I'd like to get something reliable. Any input is appreciated!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
First, there's no such thing as "best" - just don't get cheapie "trickle chargers" as they can still cook a battery.

For me, I've been using the Battery Minder brand stuff (the little 1a or 1.5a ones) as they also desulphate. I've got about 8 of them for various things - some of the chargers are probably at least 12 years old.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
X2 on Battery tender. I use the below model for my 2 batteries.

Battery Tender 2-Bank Charger: 12V, 1.25 Amp Battery Charger with 2 Charging Banks - Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer Station Charges Up to 2 Powersport Batteries at Once - 022-0165-DL-WH

seasick

Reaction score
There is a big difference between a low current charger meant to top off the batteries and a battery charger that is meant to be connected all the time. Here is my two cents: As long as your batteries are stored 'fully' charged they don't need to be removed from the boat for the winter. I have not removed mine for over 10 years winters ( yes, they had been replaced after 7 years of service). Just make sure they are charged and all ground connections are removed from the battery terminals. Uncharged lead acid batteries can freeze and crack since the freezing point gets higher as the charge gets lower. A fully charged battery has a freezing point around -80 °F while a discharged battery has a freezing point around 20 °F.
If you feel that you need to charge, a 30 or 40 dollar 1 or 2 amp charger will do. Connect the charger and let it run until it indicates a full charge .Then disconnect the charger.
I do not remove my batteries in my 208 during winter storage and the motor starts every spring. I just make sure they are charged before storage. My boat is in the NYC area
On my other boat, I have shore power and a relatively smart onboard Guest 2 bank charger. I leave that powered and connected all winter basically because I often work on the boat during the off season. It has a tall cover that allows entry and standing up. When I work, I like to use the stereo. That boat tends to collect rain water or snow melt and occasionally I need to run the manual pumps to drain the fish boxes. I also have to add anti-freeze every once in a while.

Note that the cold weather does not age batteries as long as they are charged. Hot weather on the other hand is another story.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
X3 on Battery Minder. Got a bunch and have been using them on everything but the Grady for years with no issues. Northern Tool will periodically have them on sale and I got mine for something like $25-$30 each. The boat batteries stay on the boat when I bring it home for the winter, I plug in shore power at the house and use the onboard charger to maintain them over the winter. I'm also in southern Maryland not far off the Bay and we just don't see the sustained cold temps you guys up north experience. Plus, as Seasick said, I tend to do most of my projects over the winter months and it's nice to have lights and music on the boat.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agree with battery minder usage. Excellent to maintain, and may rejuvinate/desulfate if you believe that is real ( i do). If batteries are in same state of charge, age and capacity they could be maintained in parallel with one unit if properly connected. As for pulling batteries, if not to much trouble especially in cold climate i do. Allows for good inspection, clean up post and connections, add distilled water if needed and keep from freezing should something unforeseen happen . As is always the case more than one way to skin a cat

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Battery Tender brand here too. I pull my batteries and set them in heated garage and let them do their thing all winter, ready to go in the spring.

IMG_2130.JPG

Reactions: mhinch

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Lead acid battery life will definitely shorten by heat and will not be effected by cold as long as the battery is fully charged. I never remove my boat batteries as I use the boat all year just like you guys would in FLA.
Batteries in my boats last a lot longer than they do in my cars due to the heat under the bonnet and the fact that they are cycled a lot more in the car. I never had a battery fail in any of my boats but I do replace them every 5 years, I have a 10 YO ex boat battery in my garage and she is still excellent , she holds charge and load tests fine but once every 3 months I charge it.
If I was in the north east ( USA) and I had the boat on a trailer at home, I wouldn't remove the batteries in winter, I would charge them every 3 months or use a good trickle charger. I would be more concerned about the seats from the cold, I probably would remove all the seat covers and keep them in the house or heated garage.

Reactions: Halfhitch