Best boat for me and my family?

340driver

Reaction score
Great site. I am really impressed with the maturity level and friendliness of the members. I am a "wantabe" Grady White owner. I have owned several boats in my life, but my next one is going to be a Grady White. I am realizing that with the number of years GW has been in business, that there are many models to choose from (a little confusing for a new guy). I am looking for a trailerable walkaround cuddy. The perfect boat would have just as small enclosure up front, with a wide open (unobstructed) area in the rear (I have two young kids that need room to roam). Some models seem to have built-in bait boxes, engine covers, etc that take up half of the space. I don't necessarily need twin engines, but I do occasionally plan on taking it fishing several miles offshore. We don't plan on staying in it overnight, so the cuddy size isn't as important as the wide open spaces. My price range is 25k or under. If anyone would mind giving me their opinion on what seems to fit my criteria in a boat, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

ghcpa9

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi 340, welcome to the site! Based on the info provided and $$ range I would say you would go with 208 adventure or a 226/8 seafarer. I have a 208 and I have a family of 3 and it suits us fine doing coastal fishing, cruising, rafting up, etc. Good luck and keep us posted!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yep, I concur. The 208 would be my 1st recommendation.
1.) trailerable with a good 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck.
2.) It'll fit in the driveway and if stored inside doesn't need a huge bay to back it into.
3.) Single engine power, 150-200HP depending on your pleasure.
4.) It'll get good mileage,(3 MPG or better)
5.) it's a seaworthy boat as long as common sense is utilized and you keep a weather watch.(Which one should do anyway.) You can run it offshore, no prob. in reasonable conditions.
6.) Cabin is just what your describing you want. Enough for kids to nap and it can be used as a big storage area. It's large enough to duck in out of the weather.
7.) I'm not familiar with the market, but if you buy used, I would think you wouldn't break the bank to get into a decent dependable rig.

Fun Stuff! let us know what your thinking..

MB.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Kids grow up. Boats on the other hand do not. I would encourage you to find both a 208 and a 228. Sea trial both if you can, then decide from there. The aft room of the 228 is nice. My 9 year old and his buddies love the cabin. We camp out on it from time to time...good luck and let us know.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree with the previous replies. I bought my first Grady, a 204c Overnighter, more than 20 years ago, and have owned a Grady ever since. Grady made some improvements on that model, and itbecame the 206 Adventure. It is a great boat, and rides/fishes like a bigger boat. It sounds like a perfect fit with what you describe, although the 22 Seafarer would also be a fantastic choice for not a lot more money.

Either way, you cannot go wrong. Welcome to Great Grady.

jackmartinn55

Reaction score
best family boat

I also like boat so much. I have already my own family boat. It is a nice feel to go for outing with family in boat. My family is also like sea. Top five sail boat listed below :

1 ) Second wind
2 ) Wind dancer
3) Orion
4 ) Escape
5 ) Summer wind

JayT

Reaction score
Best boat for your family.

I am a new Grady owner and have owned other high quality, express salt water boats in the past. When my family dynamic changed with 1 teenager and 2 little ones I started looking at other express/walk around boats. I initially I steered away from Grady because of its reputation for a little bit of a rough ride. The reason I stayed the course with Grady is for quality and features. I initially was looking at the Seafarer 228G but found a 248 Voyager. Whether a day offshore, inshore or the day at Shackleford (local island) it is a perfect fit for us. With the pulpit it makes it much easier to anchor and the integrated motor bracket/swim platform with ladder, completes the package for a great day on the water. The only disadvantage with the bigger boat is that it is a much heavier tow depending on the truck or SUV you will be pulling with. Although it may be tough to find a 248 or 258 in your budget I think it is well worth the money. If not the 228 is the best boat in its class and a great choice. I think anything smaller will get too small in a hurry. Oh by the way the 248 rides and performs great. That's my $.02. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jay T
1996 248 Voyager

ahill

Reaction score
Stick with a Grady SV2 hull. The biggest in your price range. There are a lot of boats, Grady too, that have been on the market a looong time.
There's an old saying... bought right is half sold.

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seafarer 228G

We are a family of four with children (9 and 12 years old) and were in your same situation two years ago. We liked at the 208 Adventurer, but ended up purchasing a 1991 Seafarer 228G (closed transom with OB on bracket; hardtop, 1991 200 Yamaha, bow pulpit, without trailer). This arrangement provides more usable room in the aft, as well as providing additional security for the children. The cabin is not that bigger than the Adventurer, but you pick up about 2 more feet in the aft area. The cuddy cabin is essential for a family with children, as it provides for a place to go potti, place to escape the sun's rays and inclement weather, play area for the kids, sleeping/napping area and ample space to store your gear. Both models are trailerable, but the 228G is much heavier and most vehicles don't have the towing power to tow this boat. Caution - before buying a boat, make sure that you have a vehicle that is rated to tow the boat, engine, trailer, gear, and fuel in her tank (7 lbs/gallon).

I was very lucky to purchase our boat during the height of the recession last May for just under $9,000; only 420 hours on engine; boat and engine in great condition. Today I could easily sell her in the range of $17,000-$19,000, but I love her too much to sell her anytime soon. We decided not to buy a trailer yet and we keep our boat in a local marina from May through November. It only cost us $350 each year (round trip -in and out) to have our boat power washed and delivered to our house and put on cinder blocks for the winter. We have a 2007 Honda Pilot 4WD with tow package, but it is not rated high enough to tow our heavy boat. We are very happy with this arrangement, as we feel that we use our boat more often this way.

Good luck on your first boat purchase!