Best boat trailering stories

Joe Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Tigercat
In honor of St Patrick’s day I have to share this story. Back in the early 90s on St Patrick’s day my dad was bringing his 22’ Boston whaler outrage up from ocean city Maryland back to Pennsylvania to trade it in on a 25 whaler. Halfway up the road north of Dover Delaware he got hit by a drunk driver. The boat and trailer broke away from the truck and ended up crashing into a lawn tractor store. Long story short he ended up with a 26 regulator instead of the 25 whaler with no lawsuit what you got?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Over the winter I did some trailer roller work for my 15' Terry bass boat. First time out I pre-maturely launched on the boat ramp at Smith Mountain lake 20' from the water. Slid the boat in the water, put back on the trailer, inspected, back in the water and went fishing.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I trailer my boat practically everywhere. I live in the mountains of North Carolina and I frequent Florida with the boat. I have had the worse trailer luck of anybody I know. Turns out luck is like not fully appreciating things like stuck calipers or not fully realizing water intrusion in bearings or foregting to inflate tires to maximum cold pressure. Seems like all these are contributing factors to being stranded on I-95 over the years. yes ,I have had multiple trailering debacles and it all points to me and not maintaining it properly. When it comes to luck you often make your own.

One trip we were headed to the Florida Keys..I was towing my two year old venture ,maybe it was 3 years old...I was on I-26 near Orangeburg,SC and a trucker was honking his horn and flashing his lights. He gets my attention and I look back my rig and smoke is billowing out of the port side wheels. I pull off of the road and into Loves Truck Stop on US301 there in Orangeburg. I go to back side where I can work on the situation. My left rear tire ,or should I say wheel assembly was a mess. The hub diseningrated , exploded . The tire was also in pieces. The only thing keeping it all together were the Tie Down brakes . The spindle was shot.

A trucker came over for a look and said, son you need a new axle . I was like crap. Then he peaks his head under the trailer and says you're in luck these are removable spindles. So we search for a trailer place nearby and the wife goes into Orangeburg and gets what we need. I spent 4 or 5 hours working in the day on June in 90 degree plus heat repairing my boat. I took my first ever trucker shower at a truck stop and I think my kids gambled on video gaming machine in the back .

That day taught me a lot. My crappy tie down brakes routinely hung up on the trailer and 3 more times I has bearing hub failure. I built my trailer travel box. I have hubs,bearings, spindles,all the tools, portable floor jack, carpet to lay on,gloves and rags. I can repair a boat trailer wheel assembly now almost blind folded. I finally took that crap Toe Down off of my trailer and installed Kodiak . I got rid of the cheap Chinese tires and bought Good Year Endurance Load Range D as my wheels are only 14 inches. I also inspect the wheels before each trip for dragging brakes ,though the Kodiak have yet to drag. I check my rear seals and repack the bearings . I run my tires at full cold pressure . Ever since buying the Kodiak brakes and doing maintenance in my boat shed I have yet to deal with trailer failure on the open road. I still bring my NASCAR trailer pit box because you never know .

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
A number of years ago I bought a 27' pursuit purely for the purpose of repowering. The boat was located on Long Island. I had made a few trips to inspect and survey prior to taking ownership. The boat sat on a double axle venture trailer that was ok but didnt have much service history. I left my house in Ct. around 4am to get to the boat yard early and hoped to be headed home by 7am. With the boat on the trailer I jacked up each side and removed the wheels and repacked all bearing and inflated tires etc.. I did bring 4 spares just in case. Little after 7 im outta there, success...or so I thought. Im towing this boat with a F350 dually V10 with no issues. Kept thinking I heard something on the port side. I checked the mirror and all wheels seemed ok, no smoke, sparks etc. As I'm taking the ramp off the LIE to 95 slowing down I know I hear something so I pull over.. #*%@!!. When I did the port side I tightened the lugs while the wheels were in the air and said to myself " dont forget to torque down once trailer is on the ground"... got side tracked and didnt happen. Once the lugs loosened while driving the rims wobbled and the bolt holes became elongated and the studs almost broke off. I reinstalled new wheels and was able to find enough thread to drive the lugs home. A few studs did break removing the lugs. A few more miles and I'm sure both wheels would have sheared off. . I did make it home safely and the moral of the story is check,double check, and check again your methods and work habits. Im glad I had wheel redundancy and proper on road tools. Thats what I got.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I bought my first Grady (my third boat) - a 2007 222 Fisherman - virtually site unseen. I live in southeast North Carolina, and the boat was just south of Tampa. To this day it was the nicest and newest of the five boats I have owned. Not the nicest in terms of the overall package, but the nicest in terms of condition. It was one of those deals that you just have to jump on. The guy made an off-handed comment on THT that he was thinking about selling it. I PM'd him, he quoted me a stupid low price, and the next day (Monday) at 4pm (I had a work commitment earlier that day that I could not get out of) I was in my car barreling south with a cashier's check. I had asked him about the condition of the trailer, and he said it would certainly get me back to NC. He said they dragged the boat from Tampa to the Keys a lot and the trailer was fine. I did manage to get a Yamaha tech to stop by during the the day on Monday and look the engine over for me. I asked him to take a peak at the trailer for me as well, and he again said it would get me back to NC.

I drove overnight hitting a bunch of construction traffic and getting there about an hour before our designated 7am meeting time, which afforded me an hour of sleep at a rest stop. I met the seller at the marina, and the boat was as described. It was in great shape, new SIMRAD electronics, a strong running Yamaha 250, etc. The trailer, however, looked rough. I did not have that much experience with trailers at that point, but nothing looked like it was about to fall off, so I hit the "I believe" button and, after a quick sea trial, I had it loaded on the trailer to start heading back north.

Now, keep in mind I had another work obligation first thing Wednesday morning. I was just past Tampa on I-75 when I ran in to stopped dead traffic that lasted for hours. There was a fatal wreck just up ahead that had the road shut down. Once I passed that I got about another hour down the road (at this point I was cutting across the state on US-301) when I pulled over to top off the tank. The hub on one of the four tires was burning up. I consulted with a buddy by phone, found an AutoZone a little bit ahead of me, and greased it up good. I stopped a few times over the new few miles to check it, and all was fine. Or so I thought.

It was 5pm by the time I made it to the north side of Jacksonville, FL on I-95. I was waaaay behind schedule and facing a late night arrival back home, but I was back on the Interstate and moving along. Then, just north of Jacksonville I blew a tire. No swerving or anything like that. I just heard it and pulled off onto the side of I-95... near Jacksonville... at rush hour. I grab the "trailer and emergency" tool bag a buddy had given me. He runs trailers as part of his business, so I was grateful to have his pack. Well, it did not have a wrench in it big enough to take the nut off the spare tire that was bolted to the trailer. You have got to be kidding me! The bolt was too long to use the socket set, and the nut was too big for the crummy wrench he had in there. So, I had bought the Boat US towing coverage the day before, and I call them up. Local guy says it will be 1-2 hours before he can make it out. While I am waiting, I start trying to McGyver the bolt off. I manager to take a hammer and very gently tap on of the corners on the nut and, after some time I got it moving. 90 minutes later when the tow truck showed up, I was finishing putting the spare on. The look on the driver's face was priceless. He just pointed to the tire and gave me that "What the Hell Am I Doing Here?" look.

So now it is close to 7pm, and I am still in North Florida and out of spare tires. I look online and find a Walmart at one of the first exits on Georgia. I stop in, buy 2 more spares, get gas and food, and I am back on the road. Now it is after dark. I am so glad I bought two spares since I blew too more tires the rest of the way. I also had a check your pants moment when I came over the peak of the Santee bridge on I-95 only to find a tractor trailer stopped dead right in front of me, and I somehow managed to stop before I hit. I got home after 3am. Keep in mind I had been working on one hour of sleep in the past 44 hours. Also keep in mind I had a meeting I could not miss at 9am that morning and it was an hour drive from my house. If I didn't have that meeting, I would have stopped somewhere around the SC/GA border, checked into a hotel, got up in the morning, dropped the boat in at a public ramp, brought the trailer to the scrap yard, run the boat home on the ICW, and had my wife drive me back to get my truck. It was that brutal, but I had a great boat and I was home.

Now the best part. I never planned on keeping the trailer since the boat was going to be kept in a dry stack. I threw it up on Craigslist for $1,000. A guy showed up the day I listed it and bought it. No negotiation, and I would have negotiated. I discussed the issues I had with it on the drive back, and he said he didn't care cause he only really wanted the frame. He gave me the money, hooked it up, and left to drive it the 5-6 miles back to his house. He calls me 15 minutes later and exclaims that I must have a golden horseshoe shoved up my rear! When he got back to his house he saw that one of the wheels had fallen off during the short drive from my house. I don't mean one of the tires came unbolted. I mean one of the wheels broke off the axle! I told him I was more than willing to give him his money back, but he again said he didn't care since he only wanted the frame.

In the end, the seller only stated it would make it back to NC. He never promised it would go any farther!

I think back on that trip and both smile and cringe. I smile at the great story but cringe at all the dumb things I did and how much worse it could have been. I wound up selling that boat a year later for 1/3 more than I paid for it. I replaced it with a 273 Chase that was also down in Tampa. No trailering for me this time. I learned my lesson and paid a shipper!

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have 3 for you. I used to tow an aluminum Silver Streak all over the west back when I lived in Reno. It weighed just over 3000 lb with the trailer. We would pull it with a '99 Ram diesel, often with a Lance truck camper loaded.

1. Leaving from Stampede reservoir about 35 miles out of Reno, my fishing partner sitting in the passenger seat says "Well, looky there. There's a tire rolling through that field!" I looked over and recognized that I had lost the wheel that was rolling through the field. The truck without the camper loaded was so strong I never felt the difference and probably would have made it most of the way back to Reno if we hadn't seen that wheel. It turned out the a wheel bearing exploded and the wheel came off the spindle. By the time we stopped, the spindle and most of the fender had been ground off. BoatUS insurance had a flatbed come out and take the rig to a trailer shop in Reno where I got new axle, wheel, disc brake, and fender.

2. After pulling out from a campground onto a good sized road in the Panhandle part of Montana, I felt the truck pull to the side as I made the left turn. I had neglected to clamp the hitch down when I hooked the trailer up to the camper. The hitch had popped off the ball and the trailer was being dragged by the safety chains while riding on the spare tire I had mounted on the stem. We pulled to the side of the road but my wife and I working together couldn't lift the stem of the trailer back onto the hitch ball. We were right in front of a business that make wood sculptures. A guy who looked like Paul Bunyan came out and put the hitch back on the ball using one hand. I needed to replace the spare tire.

3. Pulling the boat down RT 5 in Washington with the camper loaded, I swung over to the fast lane to pass an RV. Suddenly the peddle went dead and the engine stopped. I was doing 65 mph, so I hit the horn and turned on the emergency flashers and by some stroke of good luck we were able to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder of the road. I called Good Sam and they sent out a flatbed. It took 2 trips to haul the truck/camper and the boat/trailer to a Dodge dealer about 8 miles away. We spent 5 really boring days in that lot waiting for a new injector pump. They let me watch, so at least I learned a how to replace the pump.

I have a lot more stories about replacing tires and wheel bearing in remote places, but these three stick in my mind.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
This didn't happen to me but it happened to some friends of mine. Back in the day most pickup trucks were single cab and it was nothing for people to ride in the bed. Well these guys had been out fishing all day which also means lots of beer consumed. Well they were all trailered up and heading home, 3 in the cab of truck and 1 in the bed. Along the way one of the guys notices the guy in the bed is gone. Well the driver pulls over to the shoulder of the Interstate and the guy is under the trailer, a little banged up but OK. His story was he wanted a beer which were in the boat but he didn't quite make it. To hear this guy describe his ordeal and how he hung on it is truly amazing he survived.

Reactions: efx and Joe Hurley

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been towing 40 years. Tore up my share of tires, but the most memorable one that I ever had was - luckily - at about 25 mph in Miami. It's a strange feeling when you see a wheel and tire assembly roll right past you and follow the double yellow line perfectly until it ran out of steam and keeled over.

Another one occurred last summer and is the main reason why it's critical to stow your bimini. I was towing on a 6 lane expressway here in Atlanta and the bimini boot started flapping. (I was in a hurry that day and didn't lower the bimini into the boat.) By the time I safely pulled over, it had blown off. Several days later I was on the same highway and there happened to be construction ahead. While creeping along at 3 mph, I happened to look out the window and see my boot up next to the guardrail where it landed. Needless to say I pulled onto the shoulder, jumped out and retrieved it. The zipper had torn off and it was dirty, but other than that nothing wrong with it at all. $20 to replace the zipper and it's on the boat today.

Reactions: PointedRose

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’ve had a tire go up in flames outside Florida city on a 17 whaler and then all the sudden a massive rain storm helped me put it out. It was a major rain storm from the glades. Replaced it in the rain and the boat smelled like smoke for a week. I bought a 27 Grady, towed it 5 miles to a hotel parking lot, bid on a shipper and had it towed to LA for $600. Best decision I ever made. I’m done paying for trucks. When I want to move my boat more than around the ramps, I just get bids on it. One less truck, insurance and registration. Pencils out for big boats.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Best story ?
Hauled boat and nothing bad happened ;)

Trout Poison

Reaction score
Was cruising along with the family - on our way to a nice weekend fishing trip. Tapped the brakes to knock the cruise control off prior to an upcoming stop sign and felt a thump..... uh-oh...that's a bad feeling. Was able to slow down gradually and pull over without further damage. the pivot bolt broke on the swing tongue. Thank God the removable pin and the hitch itself held on, as it could have ended up way worse!boat.jpg

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This was 25 years ago, towing a 20' Shamrock -- a very heavy boat for its size.

I'm slowly accelerating away from a highway toll booth when I notice the passenger in the car to my left gesturing frantically and pointing back towards my boat. I wasn't thinking much of this overly exuberant automotive neighbor, but figured I should take a gander in the rear view mirror. All looked fine to me. Then I glanced at the driver's side view mirror. Oh my! Flames and smoke were coming out of the front trailer wheel. I quickly pulled over, jumped out with the bottle of water I was drinking, ran back and doused the fire as quickly as I could. Turns out a flexible brake line let go during the high speed slow down before the toll booth and sprayed fluid onto the hot rotor (the trailer had Tie-Down brand disc brakes) causing an impressive but short lived fire. Thankfully no damage to the boat other than a little soot!!

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bought my boat and trailer from my older brother...Let's just say that Jim is...uh...er..FRUGAL.
Maybe a 2 mile trip to the ramp....the boat stays in the water all season. Launching the boat the 1st spring.....the boat absolutely will NOT come off the trailer....EZ Load Roller trailer. Had to get a couple of guys in the boat with me...run the truck back up the ramp...back down again as fast as we dared and jam on the brakes to jolt the boat off. Seriously? On a roller trailer?

Then I am bringing the boat the short ride to the dock and my buddy calls me from the truck..."One of your wheels came off, hub and all".
Jeeze...what a day.

Rollers......Jim tells me he "replaced a bunch of rollers"...turns out he replaced several rollers and the roller axles....only he used galvanized carriage bolts for axles because they were cheaper. They all bent under the weight of the boat and not a roller would roll.

Wheel....a hub broke down, thank God it was after launch. I look up trailer model/specs and order a new hub assembly. Darn if it won't fit! Try and try....get some help...still won't fit. Call the place where I bought the hub...tell them they shipped wrong item...no they check and tell me..."No...that hub should fit your trailer". Hmmmm....I call Jim...."Oh yeah, I had to replace an axle on that trailer....I used one rated for X instead of Y because ....you guessed it....it was cheaper.

3 seasons in and I think I have rooted all of the Jimisms out of the boat and trailer. Not as much fun as your wheel passing you on I95 but still interesting stuff.