Best offshore model for NE 26'-30'

waggles02673

Reaction score
Shopping and looking to see what you all think is the best model for Offshore fishing in the NE 26'-30'. Basically, what model has the best head sea ride. Boat will be used on Cape Cod.
Thanks
Jon

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
If you can get over to the New England Boat Show at the Boston Convention Center. I think 16-20th.. Might be quite a few available for inspection

Reactions: PointedRose

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had a 282 Sailfish that I thought was great until I got the 300 Marlin. Bigger is better if you can swing it. Both of these boats were legally too wide to trailer in MA without a special permit though. I slipped both.

waggles02673

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm leaning towards a 30' if I go the Grady route. A friend has one that I have fished on several times.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Canyon 271 or 306 would be pretty sweet on the Cape if you’re considering a CC

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So ...Offshore= mid-range 30-70miles? Canyons are well over 100 from the Cape.

So obviously, bigger hull is always better if you can afford the boat and dock and everything that goes with it.
Brand new is better if you can afford the boat and dock and everything that goes with it.

Are you thinking new or used?

So your question comes down to Center Console, Bowrider oh I mean "Dual Console", or Marlin walkaround with cabin. Unfortunately they don't make 30' Express anymore

Personally I would scratch the bowrider for offshore....meh...

The Marlin is the most comfortable and has storage and a place to nap. Best trolling machine of the three. best choice for hanging out in the marina with cocktails ("the boat" can be a destination as well as a vehicle)
They will get you home on plane in 3 to 5.

The CC is the smoother ride for the guys in the helm seats. Easier to handle alone or with inexperienced crew. Not a lot of foot room behind the helm seats for what you pay IMO.
Great choice for fast offshore day trips in flat weather. They can be run faster and wetter than a Marlin in 3' to 5'.

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Shopping and looking to see what you all think is the best model for Offshore fishing in the NE 26'-30'. Basically, what model has the best head sea ride. Boat will be used on Cape Cod.
Thanks
Jon
I go all over in my Sailfish282 from stellwagon to cashes ledge to the outer cape no issues at all

Reactions: Stephnic and Legend

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
We fish the Long Island Sound / Montauk to Block and offshore - was very happy with a 265 Express and even more happy with our 300 Marlin. All solid options! Good luck.

EPPE
Same experience here, except instead of a marlin I have a 305 express

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a freedom 275 on the Cape out of Osterville. I have no issues with it being a bowrider - Dual Console (skunk Boat) LOL ! but I do wish it was bigger. It is always windy (or seems like it) and Vinyard and Nantucket sound are always choppy. Go bigger than you think.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sailfish is very capable and the 30+ are even more capable and more comfortable. I have traveled all over Massachusetts including Nantucket in a Sailfish and have never had a concern about safety. Budget will generally help you decide which size boat is best for you. Good Luck!