Best Prop for 228?

phil217

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 2004 228 with a Yamaha 225. I am only getting about 4200rpms out of my current prop which I believe is the prop the motor came with. I want a good mix of hole shots and top end speed but if I had to choose, it would be better hole shots. Any recommendations on a prop?

Thanks in advance!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the boat pictured in my signature. A 2004 228 with a F225. I'm running a Power Tech OSF4, 15 1/4 x 16, which is a four blade. My prop that was on my boat when I got it was a 15 1/4 x 17, 3 blade. It did ok, but getting the 4 blade was a big difference.

2 people, 56 gal of fuel, 6100rpm, 41-42mph. WOT

Love this prop, lifts the stern and keeps me on plane at a slower speed, very little, if any loss on top end. Great mid range performance. Pretty decent hole shot getting up on plane with the F225.

These boats are heavy and this prop does very well. The F225 is not known as a powerhouse motor as far as umph. The four blade helps compensate for that and this motor/prop combo works well on my 228.

I went through Ken at PropGods for the prop. Very knowlegeable guy. Perfect recommendation for a prop.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

phil217

Reaction score
Looks just like mine...everything...Thanks for the heads up! I'll see if anyone else responds to see what route I want to take.

Thanks!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are only getting 4200 you have something else going on.

Is the boat kept in the water? Is there a heavy amount of growth on the bottom? Is there a heavy amount of growth (specifically junk that adds weight) in the cabin?

Has the motor been scoped for exhaust corrosion? This may also have something to do with it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Could possibly be over propped also, meaning trying to spin a larger pitch than a 17. Has it always run at 4200 or is this something new? What size prop are you spinning?

seasick

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
I have the boat pictured in my signature. A 2004 228 with a F225. I'm running a Power Tech OSF4, 15 1/4 x 16, which is a four blade. My prop that was on my boat when I got it was a 15 1/4 x 17, 3 blade. It did ok, but getting the 4 blade was a big difference.

Love this prop, lifts the stern and keeps me on plane at a slower speed, very little, if any loss on top end. Great mid range performance. Pretty decent hole shot getting up on plane with the F225.

These boats are heavy and this prop does very well. The F225 is not known as a powerhouse motor as far as umph. The four blade helps compensate for that and this motor/prop combo works well on my 228.

I went through Ken at PropGods for the prop. Very knowlegeable guy. Perfect recommendation for a prop.

Assuming I have the correct gear ratio for that motor (2.0) your specs are excellent, perhaps better than I would expect especially with the load mentioned. If you are making 42mph at WOT your slip is small, about 7%.
Being from NY, I am a bit skeptical:)
I also see that the WOT range for that motor is 5000 to 6000 so you are close to over revving but you probably don't run at 6100 a lot.
In general a 4 blader should be sized an inch smaller than a 3 blade prop. In that case, the equivalent 3 blade prop would be 15 1/4 by 17.

Is your hull painted?

I also agree with the post that said that something is wrong with the original poster's top end of 4200 revs. Before investing in a new prop, I would find out what is going on. It could be a damaged prop, a slipping prop, a fuel starvation issue or some other electronic problem.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agree - unless the OP's engine is way overpropped, something else is going on.

In addition to other questions... What prop is currently on there?

Are you trimming up properly?

We need to get the basic things out of the way. In other words, make sure there is no user error here (something like a wrong prop or dirty bottom would be user error). Once we establish that, we can start to help to further diagnose.... such as a compression check.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
seasick said:
Ky Grady said:

Assuming I have the correct gear ratio for that motor (2.0) your specs are excellent, perhaps better than I would expect especially with the load mentioned. If you are making 42mph at WOT your slip is small, about 7%.
Being from NY, I am a bit skeptical:)
I also see that the WOT range for that motor is 5000 to 6000 so you are close to over revving but you probably don't run at 6100 a lot.
In general a 4 blader should be sized an inch smaller than a 3 blade prop. In that case, the equivalent 3 blade prop would be 15 1/4 by 17.

Is your hull painted?

I also agree with the post that said that something is wrong with the original poster's top end of 4200 revs. Before investing in a new prop, I would find out what is going on. It could be a damaged prop, a slipping prop, a fuel starvation issue or some other electronic problem.

I'm pretty solid on my info. I work in the marine industry and understand what I posted. I'm aware of over revving, 6100 was short lived but speed was GPS, not water pressure, on calm water.

Hull is not painted and yes my original prop that came on boat was a 17, hence a 16 four blade. 8)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I use to run the exact same prop KY uses on his boat. I prefer a 4 blade prop over the three blade prop. This spring I plan on testing different 4 blade props on my new 4.2 liter f250.

So, with that said , I concur with everyone else that there is something going on here with only reaching 4200. I don't want to repeat the other advice . You know what to do. I will say KYs performance data is pretty much what I got on my F250 3.3. The OS4 is solid choice for propping the 228. Great hole shot. It's good in holding tight turns and is awesome in following seas.