best propellers for 1995 27 sailfish/twin f200 yamahas

ike leggett

Reaction score
I have just re-powered my 1995 272 sailfish with f200 yamahas. Dealer supplied 14 1/2 X 17 props.With these props I max out at 6000 rpm and 46 mph. My complaint is with mid-range performance. I am unable to stay on plane below 3800 rpm. I wonder if larger dia. -15 1/4 x 17 props would perform better in the 3000-4000 rpm range?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It sounds as though the dealer supplied the new Yamaha Reliance series props. I think that your engines can usually run the Yamaha Saltwater Series props, and that is the 15.25" diameter that you mention.

You would have to make sure that the larger prop does not drop you too much from that nice 6,000-RPM WOT spot, as you really do want to be propped so you can get close to it with a lightly loaded boat.

BTW, if those are Reliance props, and the dealer won't take them back, then let me know as I may be in the market to purchase them - for the right price... :D

Best of luck with the repower.

Brian

GWcpa

Reaction score
I've done a lot of prop testing and in every case the Quicksilver/Merc Mirage+ has outperformed the Yamaha SWS and SWS2 props. I would say yes that the M+ 15 1/4 x 17" props should get you better midrange performance and a lower minimum planing speed, although 3800 is not bad.

With that load I would not expect it would plane below 3500 without alot of tabs.

The M+ props also create increased bow lift, and should help cruise speed efficiency in calm water when the added trim will decrease drag.