BEST RIDING HULL BEYOND 232 SV2 HULL?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade existing 232 SV2 hull to one that may ride smoother and handle different sea states better. Would like to stay below 29'. Which Grady says you..??

Thank for your input.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Give us a little background on what you're experiencing. The reason I mention this is I used my 228 for over a year before figuring out how to use the tabs to keep the bow in the right spot. It's in the 228 manual page 8-5 how to use them. I've have been very pleased with the ride for the size boat since becoming familiar with adjusting how/where the waves hit the keel line. I would think the 232 owners manual would provide a similar explanation.

HMBJack

Reaction score
My answer to this is - the longer the hull the better.

A longer waterline will be able to "bridge" between the wave tips in front of you.

In a bigger swell, shorter hulls will hobby horse up and down.
So, a 25 footer will ride better than a 23 footer, a 27 will ride better than a 25, and so on.
The SV2 hull can only do so much. Length (and weight which comes with length) will make a difference. A week ago Sunday, my 330 went 25 miles through a 7.5 foot swell with an interval of10 seconds at 20 knots and did not pound once. There is a point where a shorter waterline could not do this without pounding.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
HMBJack said:
So, a 25 footer will ride better than a 23 footer, a 27 will ride better than a 25, and so on.
The SV2 hull can only do so much. Length (and weight which comes with length) will make a difference.

Yep I agree 100%. So if may reframe my question to read ' which Grady walk-around SV2 hull between 24' to 29' has the best rough water ride??' Been boating on the 228 and 232 Gradys for 20yrs. My bones are asking me for additional relief these days.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Marlin 300 would be the best riding walk around. The more mass and as others noted the longer hull improves ride in similar conditions. I would love a Marlin. The other choice would be to pick your days and keep your 232.

LastChance

Reaction score
I agree regarding the Marlin 300. It does very well for a 30 footer. But despite its seaworthy hull, in 25 knots of wind with a four foot chop you soon realize it's still a 30 footer.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Sailfish and drove a Gulfstream, It's better but not night and day. It's a noticeable difference but you still feel it when it's rough.

HMBJack

Reaction score
The SeaVee2 Hulls are all, for the most part, "proportional" so with size comes weight, length, deeper vee, and therfore better sea keeping abilities.

But there is an economic point to the desire to obtain a better riding hull. And there is the option, as stated above, to simply pick your days. I'd rather be on an 18 footer when it's flat calm than to be on my 33 when it's really snotty. Good luck in your evaluation and decision making!

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Bigger is bigger.. displacement is displacement..

I find that more and more I am picking my days when to go out. But if it is a borderline day, I will make every effort to be on the water but will take it slower and hopefully in a bigger rig..

Back 10yr or so, I jumped from a 228 to a 232 and it made a big difference. Now its time for the next leg up.

Thanks for the help.

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
NIGHTIDES said:
Bigger is bigger.. displacement is displacement..

I find that more and more I am picking my days when to go out. But if it is a borderline day, I will make every effort to be on the water but will take it slower and hopefully in a bigger rig..

Back 10yr or so, I jumped from a 228 to a 232 and it made a big difference. Now its time for the next leg up.

Thanks for the help.
I do the same, i pick the days i can go out when other issues arent pressing like honeys do's and go! I'm an any weather fisherman. In the winter spring i fish the thousand miles or more of delta waterways for sturgeon, strippers, starry flounder salmon then this time of the year its inshore for rockfish halibut lingcod. A 232 is fine to weather a storm and big enough if you have side and back curtains to stay nice and warm, dry, while listening to the howl of the wind and the patter of rain while keeping an eye on your rods at anchor. The 232 is very good on fuel so it makes up for its small size in its ability to save you money for beer and bait! I havent gone after albacore yet but thats on the list. And as for your question, I cant add anything to the on the money comments already left. Bigger is always better in weather but takes a Bill Gates pocketbook to aford.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
bfloyd4445 said:
Bigger is always better in weather but takes a Bill Gates pocketbook to aford.

Going used all the time helps the pocketbook..! Don't ever see myself buying new for that exact reason.