Best Scuppers?

Clockwork

Reaction score
I need to replace the scuppers on my overnighter. it has the standard plastic flapper which doesn't inspire confidence. On previous boats i have just capped them off but i want to keep them this time and am looking for the most reliable type. What scares me is that they are pretty fragile. if something were to hit it they could break and water would pour in. Do they make a better style?

I've always been baffled why in the age of lawsuit and liability that boat manufacturers put these things below the waterline and many a boat has sunk due to faulty scuppers. But its pretty standard. Thoughts?

ctcbtr

Reaction score
Going to replace the four in my transom with Perko 377-B08-PLB

Workdog

Reaction score
I've already got the thruhull scuppers; does anybody have recommendations for the in deck drains? Some have said to use a shower drain with a plastic elbow. Has anybody bought a pair of deck drains from SOUTHCO? They have several units that look like they would work (in 316 SS & plastic, and in all SS), but, I don't know if they will sell in small quantities.

no problem

Reaction score
Southco sold me 2 all stainless deck drains. The people went out of their way to help me. The ones that matched best were not in the catalog. They sent me the drawings to confirm that they would work. The grates are removeable and domed slightly to help prevent debris from lying on top and clogging completely. The finish and quality are great. They didn't fit as well as I would have hoped. I think I paid around $100 each. If I had to do it over I would have chosen a direct replacement instead of trying for an upgrade. I'm confident I have the spiffiest drains in town but those west marine ones would have saved much money and grief. Have you removed your old ones yet? when I saw what grady did I suppose they had trouble finding good hardware also. Good luck!

Workdog

Reaction score
no problem said:
Southco sold me 2 all stainless deck drains. The people went out of their way to help me. The ones that matched best were not in the catalog. They sent me the drawings to confirm that they would work. The grates are removeable and domed slightly to help prevent debris from lying on top and clogging completely. The finish and quality are great. They didn't fit as well as I would have hoped. I think I paid around $100 each. If I had to do it over I would have chosen a direct replacement instead of trying for an upgrade. I'm confident I have the spiffiest drains in town but those west marine ones would have saved much money and grief. Have you removed your old ones yet? when I saw what grady did I suppose they had trouble finding good hardware also. Good luck!
I haven't cut the drains out yet. A $100 apiece seems a little rich for a drain. I might look at their plastic elbow and SS upper (without removable grate) for a more reasonable cost. After all, my current plastic ones have lasted 21 years now. The West Marine drains that I've seen all have a crown to them which would leave a little gutter to trap dirt around them on the deck.

To the OP, I bought my plated bronze thru hulls on e-bay. Every once in awhile there are some good deals there. I've had mine in the garage now for a couple years waiting to buy the deck drains.