Best single engine GW Walkaround Cabin

Gilday

Reaction score
I am looking between the 208, 226/228, 232, 258. Yes, so many great models to choose from.

I want to stick to a single outboard due to up front cost, maintenance and fuel economy. I live in South Florida and plan to use the boat for everything. Fishing, skiing, diving and cruising. The larger the boat the better because even Biscayne Bay can kick up some chop.

Does the 232 have too much beam and weight for a single?
Is the 208 too small for offshore?
Is a notched transom undesirable?

Any help or performance experience would be greatly appreciated. I would like to purchase this fall or by spring. Thank you in advice for any help.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't have a 232 but I seem to recall alot of talk here about how difficult a 232 with single engine is to manuver in tight quarters when docking.
I would think twins would be much better in that regard

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 232 with twin 200's and would not want it in a single configuration.
I would shoot for the Seafarer 226 if your 'bound to stay with a single. It should be a better ride over the 208, but still maneuverable.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I think your best bet for a single would be a 228. Essentially the same hull as the 226, but with a full transom and a motor bracket which I've been told helps it ride better in bigger seas. I know my family and I love ours. The cabin is on the small side, so don't plan on having two large adults spend the night in there (I've camped on the boat with my 10 year old son, and it was a bit cramped).

Gilday

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
I have a 232 with twin 200's and would not want it in a single configuration.
I would shoot for the Seafarer 226 if your 'bound to stay with a single. It should be a better ride over the 208, but still maneuverable.

Your 232 seems like an ideal set up but probably outside of my range right now. Does anyone have numbers on the true difference in fuel burn for the same GW with twins vs. a single?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As a "rule of thumb" a 22' foot boat is considered to be the best compromise for an inshore/offshore type boat. Out of these, the 228 would be a very good choice, because of its' closed transom, and uncluttered rear cockpit.
Regarding the fuel use of twins vrs single, that info is available from many outboard manufactures sites. I will guarantee you though, with equal horsepower, a single will outperform and use less fuel than twins. This is simply because of the extra weight of twins, and the extra outboard lower unit creating more drag in the water. Twins are used more for having an engine to get home with, if one breaks down. You could also buy a small kicker outboard (15-25hp) and put it on a bracket for emergencies also. Mike

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mike(VeroWing) may be correct on the fuel burn with single vs. twins.
My 232(Gulfstream) gets 1.8-2.0 MPG at a 3600-4000 cruise. This translates to 29-33 MPH.
These numbers are in calm conditions where I'm not jacking with the throttle to adjust to sea state.

However, I must add that the twins advantages go beyond a safety factor for "get-home" situations.
They make the boat much easier to maneuver dockside or in close-quarter scenarios.(It has been discussed that twin outboards are less maneuverable than twin inboards, but nonetheless, they are WAY better to spin around than a single.)
I feel that they aid in planing the boat also..I'm assuming that's because of the twin props and the accompanying thrust they provide.

I have owned both..the Seafarer 226 and the 232... in my view, the Gulfstream with twins is MILES better than the Seafarer in every respect except cost.
To be fair, the 232 Gulf is lots heavier and sports a 9'3" beam, making it harder to trailer around.

I'm a big fan of the twin-powered 232, as you can tell, but it's lots easier for me to spend your money than mine..
Good luck and let us know what you come up with in any case..Choosing between Gradys is a neat problem to be faced with...

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!

Since I have one, my vote is for the 208.

We love our boat. It handles ocean work with aplomb. The notched transom is not an issue unless you're in extremely steep following seas that are breaking, and even then it's a self-draining well. We have never had more than a splash over the transom. It's not something I even think about out there.

We've put almost 300 hours on ours in three years, most of it in the ocean. Some of it in really nasty seas as we get a 15-20knot westerly almost daily.

The cockpit is almost as big as a 226-228, about one foot shorter, and has better performance with a 200/225. A single in this size boat is a non-issue for handling - they are super easy to manuever and dock. The main Grady site has the performance and burn numbers for each model/engine combo. For watersports, skiing, and flat water running, there is an advantage with the bigger motor - it will run a bit faster and pull skiers out a little quicker. It is better suited to this work than the bigger boat.

The bigger boat is going to give a slightly better ride, it's a bit heavier, and it is, well, a bit bigger. However they are far less common than a 208 which is Grady's most popular model and there's always a few for sale to choose from. The bigger boat is more money, and the 228 with the bracket is longer, so account for that for trailering, and for storage/moorage.

The 208 comes in at just under 5K lbs. That was max size to tow with our 32' RV. The combo is just under 60'. Here's a pic enroute to the Colorado River Lakes. And yes, we launch it with the the coach without incident.

IMG_1724.jpg

Gilday

Reaction score
G8RDave - Thanks for the info. I plan to bring my wife and baby with me to the dealer and hop in as many of the models as we can to check out the fit.

VeroWing - The 228 does seem like a great boat and the best performer offshore after the 232 in this range. Even though the GW website shows a video of the 25' with a single, it seems like that would be an underpowered set up. I like the idea of the kicker, hadn't thought of that option.

magicalbill - Thanks for the numbers. Yes, the Gulfstream seems like a dream boat. I will definitely check it out but cost may factor it out. The extra beam, size and weight plus the safety of twins would put Bimini easily within reach!

Gilday

Reaction score
CJBROWN - Thank you, happy I was referred to this site and thanks for the info on the 208. I didn't know the 208 was the most popular model but I am starting to see why.

I am very interested to see it in person because I did not begin by thinking a 20' would be enough boat. Now I am rethinking it and because I am also looking at used boats I may be able to find something that really is a great deal.

Watersports will be a big part of enjoying the boat so it is apparent to me I can't under power. Is 225 the max for the 208? How is a 4s on the 208?

Btw, great picture. I can't imagine backing up 60' onto a ramp. Nice!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Tournament models may better suit you. They are great day-boats and setup really well for towing and watersports. A nice heavy duty towing pylon is a factory option. And with a tonneau over the bow would suffice for those day-trips on the ocean.

In this case the 22 footer is a better boat. The head on the 20 footer is way too small, and some have said the pilot position and ergos are not so hot. If the head is not an issue then both are a good option. Certainly worth a check-out.

I can't remember if the 208 is rated for 225 or 250. I really think it's 250, but that would be a bit of overkill. They are pretty rare with a 225, most common is the 150, some 200's. All work great on that boat. Like I say though, if I was doing mostly lake boating where it's calm and you can wind it up, or a lot of water skiing and stuff, then the bigger motor would be a must-have.

Gilday

Reaction score
On the 208, Grady gives performance data on their website for the 150, 200 and 225 4S.

I like the tournament series but my wife wants a cabin and potty for her and the baby. Only a WA or express will due and she would prefer the cabin to have a/c for the s. fla heat. Next boat perhaps.

Something small enough to trailer and run on a single is best. I am interested in the hardtop and curtains as well that can be fished around and that I believe knocks out the tournament series.

Because of the frequent chop in the bay and offshore I am also interested in standing up while running, similar to a CC with the option to sit or lean. When I check out the models this weekend I'll get a better feel for this. Sometimes the smaller boats make it tough to lean if the chair seat is only tall enough to hit you in the leg. How's the 208 in that respect?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Okay, yeah, the tourney isn't going to fit.

Prolly no AC in a 208 either, it's just not big enough. I wouldn't think for a 226/228 either, but maybe some others in hot climes can chime in.

The 208 v-berth fills up the entire area, with a cover over the foot well, and another over the potti. With the foot well a couple of people can sit down there. It's what I consider a nap area, and dry storage for gear. The kids love it. We have only slept on ours once in 3 years. My wife's idea of camping is the RV or a hotel.

The ergos on all the grady's are great. I mostly pilot standing up. The helm seat is on a pedestal and there's a fold-down foot rest. With the seat back it's a great standing position. Most of us look over the windshield unless it's clear and flat and you're idling or cruising and can see thru the glass.

The 208 is not well suited for big people, IMHO. The passway between the two seats at the helm is faily narrow, and none of the seating is well adapted to larger sizes, I'd say over 200lbs or so.

You can put a hard top on any of them, but I think it's a little over-kill on the 208. I like them, but it's just so convenient to tow the boat on the trailer with a tonneau over the helm area - very low profile. We've pulled ours through some awful weather and I was glad it had a low profile. And it's convenient to put the bimini up or down. A full canvas package does provide the side and back curtains, and roll-up front windows. Well worth it if you get cooler wet weather. And not too hard to put up or down. But there are no vertical posts to grab like you get with a hardtop, and it's harder to accommodate for more rod holders. A lot of guys opt for a radar platform or 'tower', built the same way as a hardtop but no top, you still use your bimini. Onoeric has that setup, it's nice.

If you can find a 22 footer, either model, and can afford it, and have space and a tow vehicle for it, then it's a better boat. Those are a lot of 'if's. For me, a move up would be more than a couple of feet, probably to a Sailfish or Marlin. I might trailer a Sailfish, but doubt it with a Marlin. So then there's moorage, and maintenance for it sitting in the water year 'round. By-gosh and by-golly. :wink:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Being where you boat, and having been on those waters, the more boat the better. As far as single engine boats, a 228 would be the best option as far as performance and a single engine handling it well, the boat manuveurs well with a single and is decent riding boat. A 258 would be the next option, with a single 250 it will do the job but be slower, its narrow beam allows it to handle a single, not the fastest boat out there. A 23 is a ncie boat but on a wider beam you need more hp to get them on plane and running, a single is ok but twins are ideal. A 208 is a great boat but personally too small for your waters unless it is all you can afford. they ride well, but the 228 is more boat so I would look there first unless you foudn the perfect boat in ideal condition. Personally, in Biscany Bay I'd recommend twins on a bigger boat but not everyone has that budegt. If you are talking about 4 stroke engines, there is little maintenenace, change the oil and filters, lower unit oil and fuel/water sep filters every 100 hours, no need for a tune until you can hear the engine not running well, this is not like a 2 stroke that really benefits from a tune every other year or every 200 hours or so, so cost to maintain them is not significant. As far as fuel efficiency, a single F250 vs twin F150's will not be much different, some cases twins do better others it is the opposite depending on the hull itself, but often they are very close in fuel burn, 4 cylinder engines burn far less then 6 cylinder engines so 2 4 cylinder engines will burn close to what a 6 will. Also, the single might run at higher rpm wearing the engine quicker...also making them thirstier, where twins run at lower rpm's and will be run at a more efficient rpm, also meaning less wear on the engines. I would not discount looking into twins, if you find one in your beudget it might be worth considering, if it does not then no worries, but I would not put them off and not look at them, in some instances you might get a lot more for your money with twins if it fits your budget, each boat and hull has an ideal engine setup and that is really what you need to consider, especially if you want one of the larger models. If you still feel you vcan only handle a single, look for a newer 228 or a low hour 258, those would be my two choices. Stay away from something smaller unless you want to be tossed around.

Gilday

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Okay, yeah, the tourney isn't going to fit.

Prolly no AC in a 208 either, it's just not big enough. I wouldn't think for a 226/228 either, but maybe some others in hot climes can chime in.

The 208 v-berth fills up the entire area, with a cover over the foot well, and another over the potti. With the foot well a couple of people can sit down there. It's what I consider a nap area, and dry storage for gear. The kids love it. We have only slept on ours once in 3 years. My wife's idea of camping is the RV or a hotel.

The ergos on all the grady's are great. I mostly pilot standing up. The helm seat is on a pedestal and there's a fold-down foot rest. With the seat back it's a great standing position. Most of us look over the windshield unless it's clear and flat and you're idling or cruising and can see thru the glass.

The 208 is not well suited for big people, IMHO. The passway between the two seats at the helm is faily narrow, and none of the seating is well adapted to larger sizes, I'd say over 200lbs or so.

You can put a hard top on any of them, but I think it's a little over-kill on the 208. I like them, but it's just so convenient to tow the boat on the trailer with a tonneau over the helm area - very low profile. We've pulled ours through some awful weather and I was glad it had a low profile. And it's convenient to put the bimini up or down. A full canvas package does provide the side and back curtains, and roll-up front windows. Well worth it if you get cooler wet weather. And not too hard to put up or down. But there are no vertical posts to grab like you get with a hardtop, and it's harder to accommodate for more rod holders. A lot of guys opt for a radar platform or 'tower', built the same way as a hardtop but no top, you still use your bimini. Onoeric has that setup, it's nice.

If you can find a 22 footer, either model, and can afford it, and have space and a tow vehicle for it, then it's a better boat. Those are a lot of javascript:bbstyle(-1)'if's. For me, a move up would be more than a couple of feet, probably to a Sailfish or Marlin. I might trailer a Sailfish, but doubt it with a Marlin. So then there's moorage, and maintenance for it sitting in the water year 'round. By-gosh and by-golly. :wink:

Thanks again for the real world experience.

I've already taken the a/c off the list. The added weight and size of the boats that offer it typically require twins. My idea of the cabin right now is like you wrote, a place for the little ones to nap.

Good to hear you can pilot standing up on the 208. As a kid we had a 20' Shamrock walk-thru and we would get beat up while seated. Definitely was more inshore or lake boat.

I should be fine at the helm but I'm interested to see how narrow it might be.

They're advantages to each type of top but for me the hardtop is preferable. I'll check out the tower as well.

I'm stilll interested in the 208 and will compare it to the 228. In used boats it might just come down to the difference in engines.

Gilday

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
Being where you boat, and having been on those waters, the more boat the better. As far as single engine boats, a 228 would be the best option as far as performance and a single engine handling it well, the boat manuveurs well with a single and is decent riding boat. A 258 would be the next option, with a single 250 it will do the job but be slower, its narrow beam allows it to handle a single, not the fastest boat out there. A 23 is a ncie boat but on a wider beam you need more hp to get them on plane and running, a single is ok but twins are ideal. A 208 is a great boat but personally too small for your waters unless it is all you can afford. they ride well, but the 228 is more boat so I would look there first unless you foudn the perfect boat in ideal condition. Personally, in Biscany Bay I'd recommend twins on a bigger boat but not everyone has that budegt. If you are talking about 4 stroke engines, there is little maintenenace, change the oil and filters, lower unit oil and fuel/water sep filters every 100 hours, no need for a tune until you can hear the engine not running well, this is not like a 2 stroke that really benefits from a tune every other year or every 200 hours or so, so cost to maintain them is not significant. As far as fuel efficiency, a single F250 vs twin F150's will not be much different, some cases twins do better others it is the opposite depending on the hull itself, but often they are very close in fuel burn, 4 cylinder engines burn far less then 6 cylinder engines so 2 4 cylinder engines will burn close to what a 6 will. Also, the single might run at higher rpm wearing the engine quicker...also making them thirstier, where twins run at lower rpm's and will be run at a more efficient rpm, also meaning less wear on the engines. I would not discount looking into twins, if you find one in your beudget it might be worth considering, if it does not then no worries, but I would not put them off and not look at them, in some instances you might get a lot more for your money with twins if it fits your budget, each boat and hull has an ideal engine setup and that is really what you need to consider, especially if you want one of the larger models. If you still feel you vcan only handle a single, look for a newer 228 or a low hour 258, those would be my two choices. Stay away from something smaller unless you want to be tossed around.

Yep, from what I've read so far I couldn't agree with you more. Getting tossed around just to cross the bay is no fun. A 228 or 258 would be a better size weight and length for offshore. The 232 with twins seems like an ideal S. Fla boat but I admit to having very little experience with outboards and the thought of not one but two on the back of my rig scares me a bit. Don't know why other than cost I suppose. I've even considered the Shamrock 246 wa to keep me in an inboard but I would really like to find the right Grady.

I'll hopefully find out first hand this weekend what all the models look like inside and out. Nothing like putting yourself inside the helm. Then I can really crunch some numbers on cost and fuel.

striped bass

Reaction score
There are quite a few Gulfstream 232s at our Grady Marina with a single F350. The owners report no problem with maneuvering and the say they get plenty of power from the 350. The maintenance expense, they say, is preferable for the single engine versus two engines. For your waters you will appreciate the 232 size.

Gilday

Reaction score
Good to know, I'll check it out. I would love the extra weight and beam if I could push it adequately with a single. I don't have to trailer more than 5 miles on only flat, wide roads so that shouldn't be an issue either.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gilday: We had a 208 for ten years and have had our 258 for nearly five years now. While waiting to take delivery of the 258, our dealer loaned us a 232 to use. And while shopping, we rode the 228 and the 258 on the same day before making a decision.

My thoughts are; The 208 was a great boat. Used it alot and made several trips to the Bahamas and the Keys. Did a lot of kite fishing for sails in the winter in 3'-5' seas. When it got to 6' or when seas were breaking offshore, I went in. Having kids was my excuse to step up to a little more room.

I had my heart set on the 228. I really like the layout of that boat. On sea trial day the dealer brought along a 258 as well. The 228 rode incementally better than our 208 did. The 258 rode significantly better in a side-by-side comparison. Enough better that the admiral was sold on the more expensive 258.

I wanted an F250 on our 258 so we had to wait three months for our boat. The dealer had a 232 demo with twin F150s that he made available to us for those three months. The 232 was a great boat and rode as well as the 258. But I wanted a single engine and the admiral wanted a 'tuna door' in the transom. So we stayed with waiting for the 258. I probably took the 232 out about 6 or 7 times. I don't think I would buy that boat with a single engine. The 232 has a wider walkaround space than my 258 does and that is probably what I miss the most about the 232.

So we have had the 258 for nearly 5 years and have 1,100 hous on her. Great boat. Handles a 2' - 3' chop well. I can plow my way through a 4' chop. At 5' or more I'm going slow. I will go out and fly a kite on 4 - 6' days. I'll stay out in 7' - 8' seas so long as they have some space between them. The F250 has been a flawless engine. Plenty of power for offshore use and gets on plane easily. I cruise at 4,000 rpm at about 27 - 28 mph while getting 3.0 mpg on calm water with full fuel. Each time I open her up I get the same 6,000 rpm and 42.7 mph with about half fuel. I have a soft top.

Two small complaints on the 258. The single F250 seems to give me a bit of torque steer such that the boat wants to lean to port a small amount, especially when accelerating. Tapping one trim tab a bit levels the boat. Second item is that I think the boat rides a bit better with a person or two in the stern seat. Not significantly better, but after 1,100 hours you learn the nuances. I think it is the fact that the boat is balanced as a compromise between single or twin engines. So I put in a pair of big AGM batteries and that has helped.

Okay, I've rambled long enough.

Good luck with your decision!

Rob

Gilday

Reaction score
Ahhh, the plot thickens. I was just reading performance data numbers on the Grady site and the 258 with a single looks good.

No doubt that the 208 sips the least amount of fuel and the fact you actually ran it out there during our typical winter seas says something as well.

This is all very exciting information!