Best Stuff to use removing Boat Reg #'s

twinlks

Reaction score
anyone out there know the best way to remove the typical stickon Registration #'s on the port and starboard sides. They have been on since 01 and now I need to re-number with different #'s and letters Thanks

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
The vinyl sign guys in my area told me to get this stuff. Removed all original cracked, faded, stuck, painted over graphics from my 88' Sailfish in about 1.5 hours with two guys.
Would highly suggest if heat does not take them off easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,121

gradywhite248

Reaction score
The wheel that fits on your drill, as mentioned above. Bought mine on Amazon. I would not use anything else..............

gw204

Reaction score
I use a sharp wood chisel or razor blade and lots of caution. Then acetone to remove the adhesive.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use a razor blade and work slowly so as not to scratch the gelcoat. Acetone will remove the adhesive residue. Final step is to buff with Buff Magic and then put a coat of wax on it. That will remove most of the ghost effect. The rest will fade over time.

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
agree on heat gun. I always try least invasive approach and work my way up. Maybe try a plastic scraper before the razor blade. I used plastic scraper and heat gun on my numbers, worked well. there are lots of glue removals at HD (some are citrus based) that may help remove residual glue. you can always work your way up to a wheel, and more aggressive approaches. I have also heard (but have not tried)WD 40 to remove residual glue. I just used it to remove some 4000 that was left on my boat after a project..it was only a few hours old, but came right off.

just some thoughts

Reaction score
Easy off oven cleaner worked great to remove the painted on reg #'s when I bought my boat.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
The wheel it is a big eraser. Used to take pine stripping off cars. No chemicals or risk of damage to gel coat. You can get it anywhere auto paint is sold