Best VHF?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I never liked the ICOM's very much..I prefer the Standard Horizon's and a high end Shakespeare antenna.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've been told Std Horizon or ICOM, but I went with Raymarine (part of a bundle) with a Digital Antenna and never had a problem.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been an ICOM guy fof tears(for evere really) exept once with the raymarine bundle, never a problem with ICOM or the raymarine. I have an ICOM handheld which is 5 or 6 years old and still works great and also a Standar Horizon handheld floating with DSC/GPS for my ditch bag.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Which VHF

I have an 11-year old Standard fixed mount with a Shakespeare antenna - and no probs. Just keep a little dilectric grease on the connector from the antenna and the rest should be a no brainer.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Look for something with a Class D DSC (not the SC-101)...the class D is a full separate receiver in the radio that monitors channel 70. Also, look for one that will input AND output NMEA info so you can send position info to your new plotter and have it show up on the screen.

I have an ICOM 304 right now but it won't send position info...for that reason its going to go away and be replaced by a Ray49 (a steal at $95 from Bethel Marine). Alternatively you could go with the new Std Horizon Eclipse + (about $120 or so).

As far as the antenna is concerned, the Digital 529 or Shakespeare 5225 are both good. I happen to also like the West Marine 8900 which is made by Shakespeare and is a clone of the 5225 FLT. It lists for about $160, but as you know they send coupons, etc...all the time. The last time I bought one it was about $125 or so, and it comes with the solderless gold centerpin connector.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Parthery said:
Also, look for one that will input AND output NMEA info so you can send position info to your new plotter and have it show up on the screen.

Excellent point! Compatibility, though, is a two way street. My Standard Horizon VHF has NMEA inputs and outputs, so that was not an issue. My Northstar M84 has NMEA outputs, and I was able to get the DSC emergency position location working as the GPS can output to the radio, but Northstar (and probably the whole Navico brand family) uses it's own "Nav bus technology" to network equipment. No NMEA inputs. My only option now would be to replace the radio with a Northstar VHF so I can get a two way conversation going if I want to receive GPS coordinate on My GPS.

My point is to know what you want out of your electronics and do your homework before buying. I'm not sure if I'll replace my VHF or have two (actually, I have a handheld so that would make 3) but I should have asked more questions and done some research. Live and learn :wink:

Bama96

Reaction score
Excellent suggestion guys. I am on the fence as far as a new plotter/fishfinder. I like the Furuno fcv 620/585 Fishfinders but no chart. Combo units I like are the Raymarine A70D and Huumminbird 987. The Ray has an internal antenna which I like. I guess if I go Ray maybe go with the Ray 49 VHF. Anybody know if they have been bought out or where the bankruptcy is with Raymarine? I am concerned about warranty. You guys are great thanks!! :D

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i use icom, but if you wind up going garmin mfd, you might want to take a look at their radios. pretty interesting stuff - especially the n2k interfaces, but also very new on the scene. ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
and i use shakespeare 5225-flt ant. i clearly pickup broadcasts from CG Delaware Bay up here in Sandy Hook. ron

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I regularly communicate with Towboat US out of Little River, SC (NC border) when I'm offshore and have even picked up CG Jacksonville, FL

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
ICOM

if the USCG use it then it has to be good!!!

Digital antenna is a must!!

spend the $$$$ on the antenna, that is what counts

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Spend the few extra bucks and get the 504. I have the previous 502 model. I can hear USCG stations from Charleston and Hatteras. I can also converse with vessels 30nm away. Great radio. I have the 5225 XT antenna. I have read the digital 529 is also very good.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
All good!

Hey Bama! Your sure got a lot of great input outta that one. I really think most all of the equipment is good quality. My choice was a Lowrance VHF that I networked in with my Lowrance Chart Plotter. I also added a Standard Horizon VHF for an additional com unit. My girl had both a Standard and an ICOM when I got her. Both were old but were still functional. Gave the ICOM to the mailman and put the Standard in my collection of boat stuff as it seemed a little better than the ICOM. Nice looking 225! Let us know how it fishes later on! Roll Tide from a Gator Man! 8)

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had both the Standard and now an ICOM 422. Both are good radios and seem to have about the same range. I switched to the ICOM when I upgraded to DSC.

The biggest difference I have noticed between the two is the sound. I used to have to run the Standard through an external speaker to get quality. The ICOM sounds better with just the built in speaker.

Also, I recently saw a Shipshape TV that featured some radios and stuff from Cobra Marine (the CB people). They were touting a new system that includes a bluetooth connection with a cellphone. The biggest benefit they claimed was noise canceling software that eliminates wind and background noise from the cell. I know they had a handheld VHF with the Bluetooth. But like many things on the show, it could be all hype.