Best way to clean cabin cushions

Hockey8812

Reaction score
Model
Journey
What is the best way to clean cabin cushions? Any particular cleaner that works better than others? Unfortunately only one of my cushion covers can be unzipped the rest of the covers don't come off. I'm cleaning them because they feel musty and do have a few small mildew dots on them.

seasick

Reaction score
Are you asking about vinyl or cloth material? I will assume cloth. Whatever you try, test it on a non conspicuous area first. A lot of the manufacturers do not recommend washing.. That said, many folks(like me) do use a wet rag or even a soft brush with a light soapy water solution, just don't soak the cushions. Rinse a few times by wiping with a wet rag Be careful with any cleaner that has bleach. In addition to possible bleaching out the color, bleach can speed up the aging of the threads. Start will mild cleansers and go to stronger if needed. Sometimes the upholstery cleaners sold in the supermarkets work well. If the cushions smell, that may be really hard to remedy if the internal foam is very moldy. For not so terrible odors, try Fabreeze spray. Sometimes just placing in the sun for a while helps especially for drying after 'washing'

Hockey8812

Reaction score
Model
Journey
They smell fine. Just definitely don't feel clean, if that makes any sense. And yes they are cloth.

seasick

Reaction score
Just try the light cleanser ( like hand soap or even a very light mixture of washing machine detergent and warm water and a wet rag, then a clean rag or towel to dry as best you can. See if that 'feels' better. Let us know.

seasick

Reaction score
That made me think; Maybe Stanley Steamer should start offering marine cleaning services.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
when first got the boat they were a little musty and pretty beat up.
I removed them from the cushions and ran them in my very large washing machine on gentled cycle with detergent.
I made a 5% bleach solution and killed the small black spots on the foam.
I left everything out in the sun for two days.Some of the zippers are toast but you don't notice when they are in the boat.
That worked pretty good to make them "feel clean".

Since then my sister in law replaced the top fabric part...sewing new top fabric to the existing sides & vinyl & mesh & velcro.
She's no expert but just putting a new flat top on them was in her wheelhouse.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can rent small steamers or maybe even bring the cushions to a car detailer.

Hockey8812

Reaction score
Model
Journey
Gonna try soap and water tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for the ideas.