Best way to clean canvas

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Want to clean the canvas bow cover of my GW335. Have some mold and dirt build up.

seasick

Reaction score
Start with a mild soap solution and warm water. Rub it in with a soft brush, let it sit a few minutes (but don't let it dry), rinse it off and see if that worked. If not, get a canvas cleaner made for mold that isn't bleach ased. Follow directions and see if that works. The key is to not go directly to the heavy duty stuff if it isn't needed.
Once the cover is dry, you may want to coat it with a fabric treatment. 303 Protectorant for fabrics works well but is expensive,
I have also used Starbrite water repellent for my older canvas. It helps the cover shed water and helps reduce both dirt and mold buildup in the material.
Going forward, the cover should be rinsed frequently to wash off dirt. Once it stops shedding water, it is time for another treatment.

Reactions: capeman

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I did a cleaning with mild soap, a little bleach, and warm water. Success in removing mold from the zipper/velco areas which was pretty bad. The canvas cover itself did not clean up further. The cover is off white and there is a definite light grey color to it. I might need to try a canvas cleaner. Sounds like w/o bleach is the best bet.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it's Sunbrella canvas, it's OK to use a diluted solution of bleach.

Take it to a laundromat with an extra large front loading washer - or put it in yours if you have one. 303 makes a fabric cleaner, as well. To re-retreat it with protectant, make sure ALL of the soap is out of it. Any residual soap will decrease the effectiveness of the treatment.

Another option is to spread it out on your driveway - but do it on a cloudy day. Either clean your driveway ahead of time, or lay a big sheet of plastic down. Then you can scrub it well with a brush - keeping it wet the whole time. Hang it over a clothes line and rinse it off.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wet the canvas on the clean driveway and spray some awesome all purpose cleanser on it. Available at the dollar store. Yellow liquid in spray bottle. Agitate it with a brush for a few min and rinse. Then use Clorox 2. Mix some in a bucket of water along with a little bit of oil eater cleanser. Apply with a deck brush keeping it real wet. Agitate for a few min and rinse with a light pressure washer if you have one. Will look new again.

seasick

Reaction score
hmmm. Clorox II is an interesting idea. I think I will try that next cleaning

grady23

Reaction score
I would put down a sheet of plastic to put the canvas on instead of directly on the asphalt. Some cleaners will pull the oils out of the asphalt.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can see asphalt doing that. Not used to asphalt driveways. 99% of driveways in fla are white concrete.

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Does anyone send the canvas covers to DRY CLEANER?