Best way to clean vinyl?

Off the Hook

Reaction score
I know this question can be debated,but i as wondering what suggestions you all may have to clean the vinyl... Mine is in pretty good shape, but i am starting to notice small black dots on it that I typically see on the top of the coaming pads that run around the cockpit.

I have heard mixed stories about using a diluted bleach or some other products, but have been hesitant to try them until i hear from someone who has actually had this experience.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For the vinyl lining I use vinegar. For seat cushions, magic eraser, and bolsters I use Zep.

seasick

Reaction score
g0tagrip said:
For the vinyl lining I use vinegar. For seat cushions, magic eraser, and bolsters I use Zep.
Magic Eraser can actually wear off the protective coating on vinyl. It will also wear away gel coat. Use it sparingly and lightly.

If the black marks are mold or mildew, ZEP or vinegar may work. One concern is that if it is mold, it may be bleeding from inside ( moldy foam) and that is a different situation altogether. If the black spots are stains on the top surface of the vinyl, Grady recommends acetone and I do to. It works well and does not harm the vinyl. Just make sure to wash with soap and rinse well after use.

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
DON'T use bleach, diluted or not. If you get any on your threads it will disintegrate them in short order. That's not theory, that's experience talking.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Seasick brings up a good point that it could be coming from underneath. If it's on top, try a bleach solution (as mentioned, just stay away from the stitching and there are no issues). To do this easily, dampen a WHITE rag with the solution and lay the rag on the area. Give it a few minutes and rinse. If that doesn't take it off, the problem is not mold on the surface.

Seasick, are you sure about the acetone? Acetone can melt the vinyl. Maybe you're thinking of Naptha?

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Seasick brings up a good point that it could be coming from underneath. If it's on top, try a bleach solution (as mentioned, just stay away from the stitching and there are no issues). To do this easily, dampen a WHITE rag with the solution and lay the rag on the area. Give it a few minutes and rinse. If that doesn't take it off, the problem is not mold on the surface.

Seasick, are you sure about the acetone? Acetone can melt the vinyl. Maybe you're thinking of Naptha?

I thought I was sure and I know I have used it with very good results on spots that won't clean with regular soap and water. That said, I can't find at the moment the Grady document that I am pretty sure I read about using acetone. I know acetone didn't harm my bolsters. I have not used it on vinyl cushions. I use soap water and 303 protectorant. I will see if I can find it. In the meantime, use the soap/water or a commercial vinyl cleaner. I don't wan't to pass on any until I am sure it is correct:)